It wasn't as easy as I thought...

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Who here has changed their own fuel filter? You would think it would be easy. It would be if you could actually get to it. I struggled to get both hands on it to release the clips. What a PIA. I was on my back and the car was pretty high up on jackstands, but my elbows and wrists just don't bend the right way to be able to reach it easily. Like many mechanical things... doing the work was easy, getting to it was not. :rollseyes

RCMPSVT

Established Member
If u are big guy with big arms goodluck, I did mine on thursady and it was a PITA and I was using a lift so I can only imagine

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Yeah, can be kind of a PIA the first time you do it, but it get's better as you do it a couple of times. Just love the gasoline spilling down though......

This is often a neglected maintenance thing......Should be done at least every 15,000 miles IMO.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Yeah, last time I had my car on the lift the location of that Filter was intimidating to look at. I need to get this done and am not looking forward to it. It is however one of those things I seek to accomplish on my own.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Yeah, can be kind of a PIA the first time you do it, but it get's better as you do it a couple of times. Just love the gasoline spilling down though......

This is often a neglected maintenance thing......Should be done at least every 15,000 miles IMO.

I wish I had a lift, then I could have moved a little more out of the way to avoid the fuel spilling out. I had a drain pan resting on my stomach. :uh oh: At 66,000 miles this is only the second time it has been changed. The first time the dealer did it. Now that I know how to position myself the next time should be easier, but it will still be a pain.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Are the fuel filters on the 03/04 in a different location? My fuel filter was a piece of cake.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
its up in the IRS i believe. when i first got my car i took it for inspection and they changed it for me. Been 12K miles so i still have some time. But having the smallest hands ever would be a godsend for this job

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

yup, they suck. having a lift makes it a lot easier and no worries about getting fuel on you.

on my silver car I moved the filter to the frame rail, but it also had a solid axle in it, just like my new car and that makes it all a piece of cake.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I actually considered droping the IRS for better access. Being that I didn't have a helper I decided to struggle and deal with it. A lift would have made it a lot easier. :rollseyes

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
You should've come up to my place; lift and 20 mins its done! Still get the fuel cologne as it slides down your arm! :p

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Trick of the week: Tie a shop rag around your wrist. It will soak up the fuel instead of it running down your arms. :thumbsup:

If you have a lift you should be able to have enough space to get a can underneath it to catch what leaks out... The tough part is how much fuel is actually still in the filter when you drop that sucker out though.

Users who are viewing this thread