Issues with Computer Reset for Gear Change

Husky44

Established Member
Did the install of my 3.73s, and love them. Took the car to local dealer to have them reset my computer so that the speedo reads accurately.

Dealer's computer indicates option to change gear ratio to 3.73, but when he does, it doesn't change the speedo reading. Tried multiple times, before he sent request to Ford Hotline Assistance. Their response:

Unfortunately the Hotline is unable to assist you with this modification as it isn't supported, and thus it is the Hotline's recommendation that the vehicle be returned to factory condition. Altering the tire or axle configuration from the factory isn't a recommended or supported modification by Ford or the Hotline. The tire size and axle ratio cannot and should not be changed to address a speedometer accuracy concern as a result of aftermarket modifications.
I'm going to contact SVT next, and if they're no help, then Ford Customer Care. This is a bone stock car, with a factory tune, no mods other than 3.73s, which shows up in the shop programmer as a viable selection for rear gears. Gears are Ford Racing gears--an option they offer for this car. Needless to say, I'm not real pleased with Corporate Ford right now. I started a new thread to keep folks informed. I'll update this as I learn more.

This is definitely a great mod for the car; if I have to go to an aftermarket tuner to fix my speedo I will, but there will be plenty of info in Ford's records that I was forced to do so by their lack of support.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
This backs up what I'd been hearing about Ford not doing this for people then. Sorry for the headache but thanks for keeping us updated! Good luck!

mullens

Established Member
Pretty sure SCT makes you install a whole new tune rather than change stock perameters. Just an FYI if you're thinking about going that way. Gotta love Ford and their cookie cutter BS response. Probably was an auto reply.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I am so tired of Ford and their BS customer service.

You are better off getting a simple tune to open the car up the way it should have come and use a handheld to change the speedo to account for the gears.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Pretty sure SCT makes you install a whole new tune rather than change stock perameters. Just an FYI if you're thinking about going that way. Gotta love Ford and their cookie cutter BS response. Probably was an auto reply.

You do not need a new tune with an SCT to change the gear ratio/speedo. It is correct that Ford does not support this modification in regards to reprogramming the speedo.

NvrEnfHP

Established Member
I'm getting 373's installed in my car on Wednesday and they said they will reprogram the speedo while they are at it. .

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I'm getting 373's installed in my car on Wednesday and they said they will reprogram the speedo while they are at it. .

Husky44's dealer told him the same thing, when they hook up the computer it blocks the reprogramming.

mullens

Established Member

That's good to hear. When I had my X3 it wouldn't let me change stock parameters without first loading a tune

Last edited:

Husky44

Established Member

If it is a dealer doing the install, and they're successful, please let me know. My dealer thought they could do the reprogram, but could not, and Ford told them that they don't support it. If you get different results, please post them here.

Bllit11

Established Member
You will have to load the program into the car you can keep it stock and change the speedo. If your worried about your warranty don't do it. It will leave a footprint. I've been down this road before Unless you have a mod friendly dealer.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
You will have to load the program into the car you can keep it stock and change the speedo. If your worried about your warranty don't do it. It will leave a footprint. I've been down this road before Unless you have a mod friendly dealer.

Correct!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear Husky, but this is exactly what was expected if you researched the gear swap here.
Unfortunately it sounds like your dealer was just incorrect and told you wrong.
At this point, unless Ford comes up with a fix, your only solution is to live with the speedo being off or buying a tuner (as was known on here for a while) as the gears are already in.
Hopefully Ford comes up with a fix.
-J

Snoopy49

Established Member
How does Ford deal with the gear swaps, how does it affect the drive train warranty?
If you void part of the warranty with mods, does it void the entire warranty?

mullens

Established Member
How does Ford deal with the gear swaps, how does it affect the drive train warranty?
If you void part of the warranty with mods, does it void the entire warranty?

Warranties are not voided per se. Individual repairs can be denied if their investigation concludes that the mod contributed to or caused the failure. The rest of the warranty remains intact. But, here starts the slippery slope. Once you're flagged for a denial, they will probably try to connect anything that goes wrong with the mod unless it's totally unrelated.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Warranties are not voided per se. Individual repairs can be denied if their investigation concludes that the mod contributed to or caused the failure. The rest of the warranty remains intact. But, here starts the slippery slope. Once you're flagged for a denial, they will probably try to connect anything that goes wrong with the mod unless it's totally unrelated.

The problem is, while it is doubtful you would have Ford claim your 3.73 gears caused a lean condition that damaged your motor, I can see them claiming that you altering parameters in your computer could have led to it. Just because you know calibrating for a gear swap didn't cause a lean condition doesn't mean Ford wouldn't end the conversation with: "Once you mess with the fragile parameters of the computer, all bets are off". I don't know if it actually works like that, but I can see it being attempted.

mullens

Established Member
The problem is, while it is doubtful you would have Ford claim your 3.73 gears caused a lean condition that damaged your motor, I can see them claiming that you altering parameters in your computer could have led to it. Just because you know calibrating for a gear swap didn't cause a lean condition doesn't mean Ford wouldn't end the conversation with: "Once you mess with the fragile parameters of the computer, all bets are off". I don't know if it actually works like that, but I can see it being attempted.

Agreed. Aftermarket tunes are a great example. They can connect just about any powertrain failure to a tune, even if it had absolutely nothing to do with it. Ask some of the 5.0 guys. Some of the cars had #8 cylinder failures and Ford put out a warning directing the service depts. to specifically look for signs of a tune. You'd probably be safe with window motors, but anything else good luck.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I knew it was an option for the dealer to do- apparently its not supported once you press the button.

How far is the speedo off?

Snoopy49

Established Member
SpeedometerComparisonChart.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread