Issues installing McCloud Clutch

brucesvt

Established Member
Happy New year.

Have been trying to tackle this issue for the last two weeks I even reached out to LMR and no help.

The clutch in question is MCLEOD STREET CLUTCH KIT - 11" - 10 SPLINE

On the video, the pressure plate fingers started to move before even tightening the bolts down completely. I know its normal to see them move a bit but it resulted with the fingers being too "deep" or it caused the clutch to be partially engaged when the bolts were tightened to spec. Need to know if this is because it needs a ring spacer for it that I didn't see included in the kit. I have a different brand clutch that fit perfectly and the only difference was the thickness of the pressure plates themselves leading me to believe the kit needed a ring spacer. I have a stock pedal assembly, cable, fork, and pivot stud. All inspected and I made sure the fork was not bent and on the pivot stud. The throw out bearing touched the fingers when the fork was already past the halfway point in the slot leaving only a bit of room to press before it bottomed out against the transmission

Please help just want to drive this thing already

IMG_6505.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_6505.JPG
    IMG_6505.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 31

cobracide

Established Member
I don't have any direct solutions to your specific issue, however..

Suggestions
1 - call McLeod.
2- get an ajustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant. Steeda makes all of these.
3- get an adjustable pivot ball.

brucesvt

Established Member
I don't have any direct solutions to your specific issue, however..

Suggestions
1 - call McLeod.
2- get an ajustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant. Steeda makes all of these.
3- get an adjustable pivot ball.

Cool will do, hopefully I will get this issue resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Chip Schweiss

Established Member
I'm not seeing the problem here. When the pressure plate is bolted onto the flywheel the clutch is engaged and will not move. When you tighten it to the flywheel you are compressing the springs of the clutch. The throwout bearing presses the fingers in to disengage the clutch. This is why the alignment tool is necessary or you will never get the transmission to mate up.

Looks as though this engine is out of the car. The bell housing with throwout bearing can be fitted, measured, and tested on the stand.

shurur

Established Member
MM makes the firewall adjuster, quadrant and adjustable clutch cable. The mm clutch cable is ford oem thickness.

Steeda had issues years ago.

I'd also look at the clutch pedal limiter...but as I understand it, it does make the adjustment trickier.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Well one all of the adjuster items being sling around aren’t relevant since the trans isn’t on the motor.

But ya, not sure I’m seeing the issue. When torqued to spec the clutch should be clamped to the flywheel. Is there a slight gap or something between them when you start tightening the PP down? Is the clutch disc starting to back off of the flywheel?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have a little experience on this so here is what i understand:

on their street and super street clutches if the kit did not include the ring spacer you don't need it. older versions of this clutch had a ring spacer but the newer ones don't. the newer versions are designed to not need the spacer.

they're good clutches! best of luck with it -

Users who are viewing this thread