Issues after replacing tob.

Rambro

Established Member
Pulled trans to replace noisy tob and now its like there's no play in the fork and the cable isn't going on right. I have a three hook quadrant and before I would have it on the middle hook. Now if i try to put it on the middle hook, there's no adjusting the cable at all and its tight. On the first hook, the firewall adjuster has to be turned all the way out to take up the slack. Can't figure out whats going on here. Now I'm looking at an adjustable pivot ball to fix this but I never needed one before and I have a regular clutch, no twin disc.

Rambro

Established Member
Tob is installed correctly. I've verified with other's who have done clutch swaps before. What I thought would be a quick job has turned into a nightmare lol. I just wonder if when the tob went bad, and i admittedly let it go for a while, mabye it damaged the pressure plate or the tob retainer sleeve? But the car really had no issues other than the tob would chirp on occasion. It shifted fine before all this.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Something isn't sitting correctly. If you have a single disc clutch you shouldn't need an adjustable pivot ball. As mentioned either the TOB isn't mounted correctly or you possibly got the wrong one. Your best bet is going to be sliding the trans back and double checking things.

Rambro

Established Member
Something isn't sitting correctly. If you have a single disc clutch you shouldn't need an adjustable pivot ball. As mentioned either the TOB isn't mounted correctly or you possibly got the wrong one. Your best bet is going to be sliding the trans back and double checking things.
I've double and triple checked the tob and fork. I've had the trans in and out a handful of times already. I talked to Walt at Pro Motion today and he seems to think the clutch might be on its way out and causing issues with the pressure plate. It's a 26 spline Pro Motion clutch in it now. Its been in the car for about eight years, It's only rated at 550 rear wheel from when I was just pullied

Last edited:

Rambro

Established Member
Check your cable routing too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That could be an issue too. I don't have the bolt holding the cable to the engine bay. When the shop installed the clutch they left it out or just forgot to put it back in. But I had been driving it like that for years and the cable never did any of the things its doing now.

Rambro

Established Member
And the car had been shifting fine before all this. Only reason I dropped the trans was the tob has progressively, over the last few years, been chirping and chattering. I would just rest my foot on the pedal at first and it would go away. Now it makes noise no matter what so I couldn't take it anymore and decided to replace the tob. The tob and fork feel like they travel fine on the sleeve when the trans is out of the car. Get the trans in and everything goes to hell. Fork is pinned towards the back and I can't get the cable like it was before on the second hook. I can get it on the second hook but the cable is very tight and there's no more adjustment, It wasn't like that before I did all of this. I'm using a new fork and tob from ford, same as before. Same clutch cable as before too.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I've double and triple checked the tob and fork. I've had the trans in and out a handful of times already. I talked to Walt at Pro Motion today and he seems to think the clutch might be on its way out and causing issues with the pressure plate. It's a 26 spline Pro Motion clutch in it now. Its been in the car for about eight years, It's only rated at 550 rear wheel from when I was just pullied

Haven't you been at much high power levels than 550 for a while now?! I must say I'm impressed with that pro motion if so. Having said that, your current issue sure is a mystery.....but if I had to yank that trans one more time after all this....I'd go ahead and put in a brand new clutch kit being the old one is 8yrs old.

Rambro

Established Member
Haven't you been at much high power levels than 550 for a while now?! I must say I'm impressed with that pro motion if so. Having said that, your current issue sure is a mystery.....but if I had to yank that trans one more time after all this....I'd go ahead and put in a brand new clutch kit being the old one is 8yrs old.
I've never had the car on the dyno but I would assume the car is making more than 550 with the 2.3. I also have a 2.9 whipple on its way so It might make sense to put a fresh clutch in while I'm in there at this point. I've just totally ran out of ideas. Other than an issue with the cable, I can't figure out what could be causing this.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Fork may not be sitting over ball.

Clips stopping it

Try moving fork manual a couple time

If only a tob change cable should fit again

Rambro

Established Member
I've brought two brand new Ford clutch forks and two new Ford tob's its the same thing every time. I've had a couple people already verify that the tob is on right, and getting the fork on the ball is a no brainer. My last resort may be to try a McLeod fork. I don't feel very comfy with how easy these Ford forks can just slip off the pivot ball, don't seem like alot of grip. Other than replacing the pressure plate/clutch assembly I dont know what else to do. No matter whats done it's the same thing. Fork pinned back and super tight clutch cable with no adjustment on the second hook. I'm almost at the point of giving up and taking it to a shop.

Rambro

Established Member
And I've had two people who have done numerous clutch swaps between them, tell me the same thing. Tob isn't on right, fork is jacked up. Then they come over to lend a hand and it's the same results.

hotcobra03

Established Member
How about switching to first hook.

Maybe some was wrong before

I have a single and aftermarket cable isn’t long enough.

I added to my cable. But thought of going triple

I like the single
Noticed it has a longer draw than stock

As long as rest of your work is done right the cable length is off now

Rambro

Established Member
How about switching to first hook.

Maybe some was wrong before

I have a single and aftermarket cable isn’t long enough.

I added to my cable. But thought of going triple

I like the single
Noticed it has a longer draw than stock

As long as rest of your work is done right the cable length is off now
When I tried first hook it was really heavy. I was able to get it on second hook and it felt just like normal but there was no adjustment in the cable.

hotcobra03

Established Member
When I tried first hook it was really heavy. I was able to get it on second hook and it felt just like normal but there was no adjustment in the cable.

Post a pic of you firewall adjuster

Something isn’t right.

The end has to be modified to use this.

I skipped it. Rather just under when I need to adjust

It’s a basic job.

Tob has been one of the most replaced part on mine.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you verify the cable routing is correct? Or did you not really mess with it when removing the transmission?

Pics would definitely help us.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Rambro

Established Member
Update in this. I ended up putting it all back together and using the hook closest to the firewall. It shifts fine now but the cable is moving around at the end where it hooks on and its causing the cable to pop when I push the pedal. I've had it on the 1st hook before now that I remember and it did the same thing. I fooled around with washers trying to get it aligned but no dice. The thing that fixed it before was moving it to the middle hook but for whatever reason after changing the tob the cable is super tight on the middle hook and there's still no adjustment at the firewall. It was on middle hook before I started all this so I have no idea why it won't work now.

Users who are viewing this thread