ISO a 5.4 bare block/ unicorn

Morgan

Established Member
Any leads other than a junkyard?

DSS has “prepped” blocks on Summit, but I’d prefer to avoid that option.

Dusten

Established Member
You want a bare, std bore block?
Ford stopped producing the iron block as far as I know. It was sold through Ford racing.

Some engine builders or such shops may have some bare blocks sitting around. eBay has a ton of blocks.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The DSS block is the easy button option, but that .040 over-bore would scare me a bit. It's not like mod motors are known for having the best wall thickness.

I'd probably look for a complete low mileage engine from as new of a van as you can find. They kept the 2V the longest and you'd also be getting a set of updated heads.

Morgan

Established Member
You want a bare, std bore block?
Ford stopped producing the iron block as far as I know. It was sold through Ford racing.

Some engine builders or such shops may have some bare blocks sitting around. eBay has a ton of blocks.

I’ve seen a few on eBay, that may be a last option if I can’t find a new block. I realize they’re discontinued and unavailable in a national search, but hopeful that a few are hidden somewhere.

The DSS block is the easy button option, but that .040 over-bore would scare me a bit. It's not like mod motors are known for having the best wall thickness.

I'd probably look for a complete low mileage engine from as new of a van as you can find. They kept the 2V the longest and you'd also be getting a set of updated heads.
Exactly, not interested in the big over-bore from DSS.
Will likely end up sourcing a take-out motor from a junkyard or eBay if nothing new turns up.

Users who are viewing this thread