is this true about BLOCK STRENGTH

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
The TW are a canted valve style head. if you are using a stock cam, you can get away with it. i'm not sure how much bigger you can go before you run into clearance problems.

The longtubes i'm not 100% now. Youngone has got me thinking that maybe it was the high ports. i just tried calling my buddy who i helped do a head swap with and left a message for him to call me back. mind you this was 10 years ago and i haven't talked to him in almost 4 lol.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
are you telling me that i cant just bolt up the twisted wedge head to my block b/c of the stock pistons?

and that my mac long tube headers wont work either?

Piston to Valve clearance MUST BE checked when ANY head is going to be bolted on.

Dont worry about the headers

TurboChris

Established Member
I've never seen so much piss poor information in one thread before in my life.
The 302's have forged pistons until 93 which then got the hyper pistons like one guy stated earlier.
The cranks are cast and not forged, same with the rods, they are not forged either.
The compression is perfect stock for a blower. I would not waste money putting expensive parts into a stock 302 block. Run it stock and it will be reliable to 500-550whp with reasonable rpms and safe tune.
The tfs tw heads are great heads. They can use regular headers and intake manifolds. The ports are in the stock locations. The tfs high ports are a raised exhaust port that requires specific headers.
The tfs tw head is the only sbf head that can run a 2.02" intake valve without notching the pistons.
Always check piston to valve clearance.
Save your money on the bottom end now and when you break the stock block go buy yourself a nice stroker with a dart block to base it off of. I'm not dissing the other aftermarket blocks but I do recommend the dart block above all others.

I perfer the twisted wedge heads over the afr's, either are a great choice and any aftermarket head with a power adder can support enough power to split the stock block.

blownfox

Established Member
I'm running the trick flow kit with a s-trim (low boost). I'm also running stardard 302 headers (shorties and now long tubes) and 180,000 mile shortblock. I installed the S-trim 18 months ago and the car is still running. I had the car tune and upgraded the injectors to 42s.

do a cp/leek down test and make sure everything checks out OK.

crazystang25

Established Member
Judging by your last line, i'm assuming that big power is in your plans. if it is, and you can afford it, do yourself a favour and do it right the first time. the internals in your 91 are better than the block itself.

One huge thing that is worth mentioning is the way the original engine was used and maintained. only YOU can answer this. if it was cared for, there's no reason it wont live behind a HCI package with MILD boost. may need a refresh- rings and bearings, etc.

Another huge thing worth mentioning is your engine builder. it sounds to me that he is not very familiar with Ford engines, otherwise you would already know about the SB and it's limits and weaknesses. just saying.

Oh and to the guy that knows a guy with a 300 shot on his stock SB- :dw:

ive ridden in the car and it was runnin 9's, not sure where at in the 9's but i know it was. had a cam and a few other mods including 4:10's and stall and a cage. not sure as the exact specs on the whole vehicle as it was not mine, just know what ive seen and felt by riding in the vehicle. also remember stock 5.0's only came with 225hp and it was a pre 93' so it had forged internals from the factory. i also know it eventually burnt a ring or 2 from the nitrous usage.

crazystang25

Established Member
also with nitrous the main thing you have to worry about is pistons not the crank, and as stated befor stock bottom end is good for 500-550 hp. cast cranks would be good for about 600 hp if im correct. and as long as you dont exceed the limits for the rods it would be fine.

deadly97snake

Established Member
thanks for all the help guys. 1 more question. what size injectors and fuel pump do you think i would need to run the top end kit. i have a brand new walboro 255 lph sitting here. is it to big.

if it is i am willing to sell it. i have the pump and the install kit for it

Users who are viewing this thread