Is this overspray? How to fix?

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
Joined
May 13, 2005
Messages
2,484
Location
Little Rock, Arkansas
Just got this car, has had a decent paint job recently, but I noticed these rough areas of the paint that have some defined areas. Appears to be a clear coat overspray?

Can a clay bar fix this? Other options? TIA.
 

Attachments

  • BBDED49E-CD58-4C0F-8940-4555C73DAA79.jpeg
    BBDED49E-CD58-4C0F-8940-4555C73DAA79.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 90
  • ECC84127-3D0D-423A-AE0F-42394B9DFBA4.jpeg
    ECC84127-3D0D-423A-AE0F-42394B9DFBA4.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 95

cobracide

Well-Known Member
Established Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2002
Messages
8,943
Location
Somewhere in 1945
Looks like hard water spots after washing your car. Use a quality Chamois to dry after wash it if that's what it actually is.
 

5.0Black

Active Member
Established Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2015
Messages
169
Location
VA
I agree with cobracide that in the second photo it looks more like a water spot from water that dried and etched into the clear as opposed to overspray. Take a look at the video below and see the arrangement of the overspray.


Removal for water spot in order of escalation:
-Water spot remover. Try a couple times just spraying and rinsing. No improvement try agitation with a microfiber buffing towel.
-Light polish (ex: Sonax PF) by hand.
-Light polish via buffer or compound by hand.
-Compound by buffer.

Removal for paint overspray in order of escalation:
-Grab an autoscrub towel, mitt or whatever form of claying after a decon wash and begin to clay the applied areas.
-Light polish (ex: Sonax PF) by hand.
-Light polish via buffer or compound by hand.
-Compound by buffer.
 
Last edited:

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
3,076
Location
Naples, Florida
Yep, looks like overspray to me. Clay bar with plenty of lube should remove it pretty easily.

I also see some water spots in the 2nd photo. Those most likely will need to be polished out.

Also, when drying do NOT use a chamois, this can cause micro-maring/scratches. Use a good quality microfiber drying towel or blow dry the vehicle.
 

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Joined
Nov 17, 2002
Messages
102,855
Location
Cheshire, CT
Good advice, Scott. I, though, use a blower to get rid of maybe 90% of the water after a rinse, and follow up with a high quality microfiber drying towel to get the remaining 10%. For me, it would be difficult to only use a blower.
 

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
7,469
Location
Charleston, SC
Removed my buddies 04 Cobra brakes and painted them red about 15 years ago right. After we got all done and moved his car out in to the sun there was red overspray all over his black Cobra. HAHAHAHA Man did it ever look GREAT though!! We spent the next two hours claying his Cobra....good times.
 

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
Joined
May 13, 2005
Messages
2,484
Location
Little Rock, Arkansas
So the clay bar didn’t work. Ugh. I’m looking all over the net to try to figure this out as I’m not “detailing” savvy. This haze is also down the passenger side door, and strangely has beaded water marks, and it seems it’s also made it’s way onto the passenger side window as I’m unable to wipe it off. I’ve tried “drying” it with a hair drier in case it was moisture under the clear coat and no luck.


Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
 

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
2,623
Location
Tx
Next thing I would try is Citrol 266 or Rapid Remover on a microfiber towel. Rewash afterwards.
 

Users who are viewing this thread



Top