Is this from the factory?

TP03

Established Member
20161012_120729.jpg
Since I purchased my car and noticed these paint marker doodles I've wondered about them. Anyone else have anything similar on their cobra? Just kinda weird, usually if I write something in paint marker it would have meaning in case I need to reference it later but everything seems like rubbish that could've been written on paper. View is under the passenger seat.

HPLouis

Established Member
Could they be signatures and dates? Can you make out what the writing is? What is your sequence number? If those are signatures and dates, they might have some significance.

TP03

Established Member
Your car isn't a vert is it?
Nope

Could they be signatures and dates? Can you make out what the writing is? What is your sequence number? If those are signatures and dates, they might have some significance.
Not sure what sequence number is? I don't have my build # yet but my build date is 7/29/03, which I don't see.

TP03

Established Member
I have seen frame shops write like that, did you buy it new or used

I bought it used in August. Clean carfax and no evidence of any accidents. I've owned several rebuilt salvage vehicles and with every single one I could find something that indicated repair work but not on this car. Tell me more about your experience with frame shops.

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
I bought it used in August. Clean carfax and no evidence of any accidents. I've owned several rebuilt salvage vehicles and with every single one I could find something that indicated repair work but not on this car. Tell me more about your experience with frame shops.

Ford master tech for 7 years. After a frame/body shop would be done with a vehicle we would get them and check the alignment for them and if we had to chase down cut wires or airbag codes etc......., just from doing that I have seen them write on the bottom of the undercarriage what there measurements were when they are straightening the frame and or checking the frame

TP03

Established Member
Ford master tech for 7 years. After a frame/body shop would be done with a vehicle we would get them and check the alignment for them and if we had to chase down cut wires or airbag codes etc......., just from doing that I have seen them write on the bottom of the undercarriage what there measurements were when they are straightening the frame and or checking the frame

Thanks for your insight and reply. I hope that's not the case. I see some numbers like "5y=1.45, 6y=1.80, 1x=1.32" but I also see some notes like "date stamp changed" and wonder what that would have to do with frame straightening. The car is in amazing shape inside and out so I just can't believe that it was ever damaged to the point of needing framework but maybe I need to dig a bit deeper?

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
No problem, might not have been a frame shop, usually when a frame shop does work to it you can tell if they pulled on something/replaced something etc..... have you asked the previous owner about it (these cars are getting older and if it drives good and the alignment is good you shouldn't worry) would be nice to know what all the notes are for though

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Line installers at the plant have been known to right various things on the undercarriage, the 99 Cobra's have IRS written with the same color maker.

TP03

Established Member
Thanks for the replys. The car drives perfect and I can't find any evidence of a wreck. Makes me think the markings are factory but I have no sure way of knowing. I'm the fourth owner and I'm currently trying to track down owners 1 & 2 to get more history on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread