Is this fair?

94venomV8

Established Member
Hey guys I'm putting the finishing touches on my car and it will be put for sale shortly. I'm wondering what you guys think is fair for a quicker sale, I don't want tire kickers and offers that never come through. Car is what is in my sig, with a few other stuff done to the chassis. Car has brand new tires, brakes, rotors, everything is new, rear just done, trans done right before motor rebuild, motor was just done. I love the car but just not enough time for it with me going into clinic finishing school and also after I graduate I would like to have some money to start my practice up. I'm graduating in a year so I figure this will get me a good start. So I have about $22,000 into the car (yes I went overboard) most of which I have receipts for. The only thing I'm missing receipts for are random fuel stuff, I bought the pump from a company online and paid through paypal and didn't get a receipt. And then some other minor stuff. But everything else that matters I have a receipt for.

I plan on asking $14,000 to start and I think you would be hard pressed to find a car that is as built, fully street able, and will handle 1000hp for that price. The car right now will be going in for final tuning shortly and based on the way the car is right now I wouldn't doubt it making over 600hp on 15psi or lower. I am pretty firm on the price and haven't seen anything like this for that price honestly. So you guys think that's a good start on her?

luke87gt

Established Member
Very nice car and impressive mod list. But I think you will struggle in getting more than $10k out of it.

goat-ee

Established Member
I myself will be de-modding my Hellion Cobra, and selling the car after it's back to stock, and selling most of the removed hardware. $14k is just not happening on a complete car. It's a PITA, but parting it out is by far the best option for getting more of your mod money back.

94venomV8

Established Member
Are you high? The car should sell pretty quickly priced at 14k. It is completely built

Thanks man, he must be smokin the good stuff lol. But in all seriousness I bought the car for 10K with a stock motor that was supercharged and a built 5spd nothing done to the rear. I have since put a built T56, built motor, built rear and a 03 cobra interior on it. Not to mention the turbo kit and all the stuff that goes with it. I am hoping to get somewhere close to that mark, I will negotiate a little but not much. I have searched around and found nothing close to this car. Hell there is a 99 cobra in the FS section making 650hp and it has a stock 03 cobra motor with YSI on it. The guy wants 22,000.

In all fairness I realize I wont get close to what I put into it, and that is how it goes. But I wont sell it for as much as I have in the motor, trans and turbo kit, I'll keep the car before I do that.

94venomV8

Established Member
I understand that, but it seems there are a fair share of people looking for built turbo cars at the moment. I know its hard to find the right buyer for something like this but when you think about what it is compared to the 03's that people are spending in the low 20's for and it will whoop most of them, it seems like a good investment to me to not have to worry about buying anything else. I mean this car is built to withstand a beating and a buyer shouldnt have to worry about mods or anything else. Honestly there isnt much else to do to this car at the moment unless changing it into a race car of some sort which I wont do, been there done that.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I understand that, but it seems there are a fair share of people looking for built turbo cars at the moment. I know its hard to find the right buyer for something like this but when you think about what it is compared to the 03's that people are spending in the low 20's for and it will whoop most of them, it seems like a good investment to me to not have to worry about buying anything else. I mean this car is built to withstand a beating and a buyer shouldnt have to worry about mods or anything else. Honestly there isnt much else to do to this car at the moment unless changing it into a race car of some sort which I wont do, been there done that.

I understand what you are saying but the fact is that 03s are coming out of the 20s now, I've run across a few in the 14-16K range even.
It is a 5yr newer car, etc...

You will need to find someone who wants to go turbo and doesn't want to do the build themselves and someone who loves the SN body lines and has the cash.

Not many will be able to finance 14K on a 98 like they can 14-20K on an 03.

In no way am I saying it isn't worth it but I feel your buyers are limited.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Best bet is to find any receipts and documentation... sometimes its hard to sell a heavily modded car. You just want to show that you really went "no expense spared". If there is anything, and I mean ANYTHING that might need done to the car, do it before selling. Things such as dryrot tires, dirty trunk, squeaks and rattles, burnt out lights, or loose trim may make a buyer think the car has been neglected, and most people sure as hell dont want a built car if they suspect any corners have been cut.

I think you could get close to what you want, but you just might have to be patient and find the right buyer. Good luck!

stangbanger856

Established Member
Here is my story for reference. I bought my 97 cobra with 80,000 original miles from the second owner with the folowing mods installed and with all documentation and paper work to go with it. Even called the shop that built it to varify.

Blue printed block (.30 over)
Stock crank
manley H beam rods
JLP forged pistons (9.1-1)
ARP head and main studs
Cometic MLS head gaskets
Off road X pipe
Flow master cat back
42lb injectors
255 intank pump
vortech T rex inline
Kerbian FPR
Lightning MAF
Diablo MAFia
Vortech S trim
T56 swap
fidanza aluminum flywheel
Zoom duel disk clutch
Steeda firewall adjuster, cable and quadrant
Strange 31 spline axels
FRPP diff
4.30 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
Polished 03 replica wheels (10.5x17---9x17)
MT ET streets 275/40/17
Autometer boost and oil gauges with dash pod
SCT chip with multiple tunes (pump and race gas)
Dyno sheets making 445WHP
full JL audio stereo system with 2 amps (interior and subs) and 2 JL 10 inch subs in removable box
billet cobra grill
KYB struts and shocks
Eibach lowering kit
Hurst line lock
Sloted front rotors

And a ton of more stuff I cant think of right now

All for $7,800

Hope that helps

Last edited:

harvboi05

Established Member
good thing i bought my car and the bottom fell out of the market for these things.

OP, i wouldnt sell yourself short, dont sell it for what its not worth, and you wont be able to get what you need to out of it... see where im going with this?

for 14k for your car, id buy that immediately.. but im your perfect buyer.

goat-ee

Established Member
Best bet is to find any receipts and documentation... sometimes its hard to sell a heavily modded car. You just want to show that you really went "no expense spared". If there is anything, and I mean ANYTHING that might need done to the car, do it before selling. Things such as dryrot tires, dirty trunk, squeaks and rattles, burnt out lights, or loose trim may make a buyer think the car has been neglected, and most people sure as hell dont want a built car if they suspect any corners have been cut.

Probably the best advise you will get in this thread^^^

Here is my story for reference. I bought my 97 cobra with 80,000 original miles from the second owner with the folowing mods installed and with all documentation and paper work to go with it. Even called the shop that built it to varify.

Blue printed block (.30 over)
Stock crank
manley H beam rods
JLP forged pistons (9.1-1)
ARP head and main studs
Cometic MLS head gaskets
Off road X pipe
Flow master cat back
42lb injectors
255 intank pump
vortech T rex inline
Kerbian FPR
Lightning MAF
Diablo MAFia
Vortech S trim
T56 swap
fidanza aluminum flywheel
Zoom duel disk clutch
Steeda firewall adjuster, cable and quadrant
Strange 31 spline axels
FRPP diff
4.30 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
Polished 03 replica wheels (10.5x17---9x17)
MT ET streets 275/40/17
Autometer boost and oil gauges with dash pod
SCT chip with multiple tunes (pump and race gas)
Dyno sheets making 445WHP
full JL audio stereo system with 2 amps (interior and subs) and 2 JL 10 inch subs in removable box
billet cobra grill
KYB struts and shocks
Eibach lowering kit
Hurst line lock
Sloted front rotors

And a ton of more stuff I cant think of right now

All for $7,800

Hope that helps

My Kenne Bell car is similar to your setup. I bought my 67k mile car already built last February for high 8K's.

good thing i bought my car and the bottom fell out of the market for these things.

OP, i wouldnt sell yourself short, dont sell it for what its not worth, and you wont be able to get what you need to out of it... see where im going with this?

for 14k for your car, id buy that immediately.. but im your perfect buyer.

No disrespect to you harvboi05, but there are always the guys like yourself that SAY they would give the full asking price...but if you aren't actually writing a check, it's just lip service. I'm sure you mean it when you say it, but until it's as real as actually paying it's meaningless.

Last edited:

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
when I was looking for mine, there was a car in south Florida I really wanted but did not have the money. fully built...procharged, boss 330 built so you know it was built right, fully done, suspension, wheels, body great, interior, had it all and it was 12,500 and that was almost a year ago.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Ya the original owner wanted $14,000 at first but after 4-5 months with no serious offers he started droping it quick. He didn't have to sell it but when he told me why I understood why he let it go for so cheap. (Built the car with his wife of 30+ years and she had recently died last March. I guess it hurt to much to play with it any more so he sold it)
I still keep in touch with him and let him know when I'm in town at the shop. He usally drops by to BS for a while about the car.

CJK440

Established Member
I'm usually very critical of what people think their cars are worth but assuming the car is in mint condition otherwise, I think that your 14k asking price is very fair. Problem is, like Stampede3 said, only to the right buyer. Its also a piss poor time to sell a car like that in your locale, so shoot for a nationwide classified to get the proper exposure.

Give it a shot, whats to lose?

Last edited:

harvboi05

Established Member
No disrespect to you harvboi05, but there are always the guys like yourself that SAY they would give the full asking price...but if you aren't actually writing a check, it's just lip service. I'm sure you mean it when you say it, but until it's as real as actually paying it's meaningless.

you always got your panties in a bunch dont ya? tirekickers are part of the business when youre selling cars but bottom line, this car for sale on the forums for 14k is to me (the perfect buyer), an outstanding asking price. on autotrader, not so much. this car will have saved someone like me 7k and counting on top of the purchase price of a stock vehicle plus years of labor. my jaw dropped when i read he was asking less than 20k.

very fair asking price OP. best of luck with the sale, deep down i hope you can keep it an enjoy it.

mystical

Established Member
14K you're giving it away man! Unfortunately like others have said it's a buyers market. I would keep it if I were you.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
goat-ee and stampede are right. This is a tough time to sell. People in the market don't have the money and generally can't get a loan on an older car.

If I was wanting a fast sale I'd start it at $12k and hope for $10k. If I didn't have any buyers by summer I'd put it back to stock and sell the parts or part the whole car out.

I've considered dumping both of my cars for $10k each to see if I could find buyers this spring. I'm kind of expecting I won't be able to sell them for that much. I've spent way too much money on both of them.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Op I think you can get atleast 12-13k for it. I picked up my 96 vert about a year and a half ago for 11.7k and his original asking price was 13k. I have a little over 20k put into it right now including what I paid for the car.

Mod list for the car when I purchased it:

96 triple black vert
27k miles

Engine:
-Completely built 8.5:1 engine built by Boosted Performance in Mooresville,NC. The current engine has approx 4-5k miles on it.
-Vortech v-2 T-Trim Supercharger w 2.8 pulley
-Vortech Aftercooler Kit
-Vortech Battery Relocation Kit
-Griffin Aluminum Radiator

Fuel/Air:
-60lb Injectors
-T-Rex 255 Pump on top of 255 in tank pump
-4" Anderson Power Pipe
-PMAS 95mm Mass Air
-Mr. Freeze Methanol Injection
-Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

Ignition:
-MSD Coils
-MSD Plug Wires
-NGK TR6 Plugs

Chassis:
-3.73 Gears
-Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates w/ recent alignment
-Eibach Springs, cut
-Aluminum Driveshaft
-Short Throw Shifter
-Stock t-45 borg warner transmission
-Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

Exhaust:
-Mid length ceramic coated headers
-Bassani X pipe
-Weld in Flowmaster 40 series mufflers

Body:
-New Smoked Headlights
-Saleen S351 Wing
-New Chrome Outline Bumper Letters

Interior:
-Aftermarket Cobra Bucket Seats
-Bullitt Shift Knob
-AutoMeter Phantom Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges with clock eliminating pod

Now since Ive had it I have purchased:
Freshly built Viper spec t56 with spec 3, drive shaft, and everything I needed for a clean swap from a member on here for 3k.

Alot of time in the shop for tuning and having to upgrade alot of components that were needed like a 8rib kit and other things for another 3k.

My car doesnt even have a built rear like yours just gears so thats why I think you can get 12-13k for it.

If your car was for sale when I picked up mine and was a triple black vert I would have gladly paid 13k for it seeing as its ready to go. Like I said above I gave 11.7 for mine and spent another six grand fixing/upgrading stuff.

If you hold steady I think the right buyer will scoop your car up in a hurry.

A few pics from the forsale listing:

35587_515358746377_159600756_30546608_8242766_n.jpg

31776_515074141727_159600639_30535108_7252473_n.jpg

36919_440674815843_781755843_5899754_4207229_n.jpg

DSC06596.jpg

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
you always got your panties in a bunch dont ya? tirekickers are part of the business when youre selling cars but bottom line, this car for sale on the forums for 14k is to me (the perfect buyer), an outstanding asking price. on autotrader, not so much. this car will have saved someone like me 7k and counting on top of the purchase price of a stock vehicle plus years of labor. my jaw dropped when i read he was asking less than 20k.

very fair asking price OP. best of luck with the sale, deep down i hope you can keep it an enjoy it.

Panties in a bunch? I'm sorry you feel that way. I was not trying to be an ass about it. :beer:

But your repeating the same stuff that gets said a million times over in these types of threads. Just because what your saying is true, doesn't change the fact that buyers will NOT pay hardly anything for the mods. It can piss you off that the $22k investment of his is about to go down the drain, but if he gets $12k out it, he will have found a good buyer. More likely in the $9-$11k (if not slightly less) range, IMO. Is there a sucker born every minute who will overpay? Certainly!! But they are rare, especially in this market. I will say patience is key, and spring/summer are obviously when you are more likely to see top of the market prices. Anyone shows up on my front door step with $12k CASH, they can have my Hellion Auto car right now!!!

Other than that i'm done with the thread. I have personally met the OP, and he certainly treated me well and was honest with me. I wish him the best of luck and I hope i'm wrong on my pricing estimate!!!

Users who are viewing this thread