Is this amount of belt slip normal? (PICS)

futureSVT

Established Member
I just installed a 2.76 upper nonslip and i am running a stage 4 port. I also am using a gates belt K080751. the belt is tight but i guess it could be alittle tighter. so what should i do notch the tensior and run a 74.5 belt?

also i am only seeing like 12-13 punds of boost.. seems kinda low but i know boost is a measure of resistance and me having the stage 4 port might lower it some but dont most people running uppers see 13.5-14.

some pics after the install
DSC04869.jpg

DSC04865.jpg

the belt dust..
DSC04874.jpg

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
mine has more dust than that on my idler pulley and my belt is so tight there is no way its slipping. I think its just debris from the belt because its spinning so hard due to the smaller pulley. Nothing to be worried about.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Mine accumulates the same...probably more.

It's not bad belt slip till you have metallic particles on the underside of your hood.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mine always had about the same amount, too, and I had little if any belt slip. Some belts, like the Gatorback, initially produces more belt dust but the amount reduces as the belt wears.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Looks like mine I have the same set up as you I did notch the tensioner and went with a 74.5 in belt. I also have MF CB and MF high flow cats and see around 13 lbs of boost.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I agree with others, that is pretty normal for the dust. You will know when you actually get belt slip! I experienced that recently for the first time, and it sucked. It made a god awful noise when I would try to get into boost, that got progressively worse every time I drove it. Then, I started watching the boost gauge barely get up to 5psi, then it would drop off, where I have normally been running 15psi, with no drop off at all. With that being said, your boost does seem a bit on the low side for that pulley, though.

metaman

Established Member
Some belt slip is normal and healthy for the blower snout parts. When you installed the blower did you preload the bypass actuator before you tightened it down? That could cause your loss of boost issue. Looks like you are only missing about 1 lb. of boost.

futureSVT

Established Member
alright guys looks like its normal..

^ yea i did preload the bypass actuator and when i had the stock pulley on it was hitting 8 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread