Is this a decent price for a gear swap??

cobra199711

Established Member
I am changing from 3.31s to 3.73s in my 2011 Gt- they wanna charge me parts and labor 580.00 for it. thoughts?

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
I am changing from 3.31s to 3.73s in my 2011 Gt- they wanna charge me parts and labor 580.00 for it. thoughts?

Yikes... You can get a new Ford Racing 3.73 for $150 shipped. Gear oil maybe $25 at a local store. So $400 or so for labor that shouldn't take a shop a couple hours?

This a shop or a dealer?

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
That's not HORRIBLE but is on the high end.

Auto or Manual?

I'd go with 4.10s if it was a manual. Auto then 3.73s seem to be fine for most folks.

I remember in my 06, I was charged $200 which was pretty darn good. Local club had connections at one of the Dealerships who would stay after and do it for us.

Good luck.

cobra199711

Established Member
Yikes... You can get a new Ford Racing 3.73 for $150 shipped. Gear oil maybe $25 at a local store. So $400 or so for labor that shouldn't take a shop a couple hours?

This a shop or a dealer?

It is an independent shop, and yes i thought it was high as well. They are reputable and supposed to do a good job etc.....

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Idk w that low 1st gear etc. I'd think 3.55's over esp. w a power adder. Could be revving quite hi w say 26" tall tires and 3.73's. I myself shift into 4th 1/1 on my 03 w nitrous on w 3.55's. I have not checked prices. So I'd only go at most 4 gears more you have more time spent shifting= what .1 per gear change? mm&ff ran into this issue w 17" et streets 26" dia and 3.73's. And that had no power adder, figure 10 mph per 100 size jets. At least that's my plan w a auto.
I guess I should mention will drive on hiway a lot so really don't want lot of rpms at say 75/80mph. About same as the 03.

Last edited:

silverbullittgt

The DEep SoUth
Established Member
seems like a good price to me
ring and pinion, gear lube, friction modifier, silicon to reseal, parts tax labor they must only be charging 50 an hour job pays about 5 hours on alldata

AmnDucky

Established Member
Idk w that low 1st gear etc. I'd think 3.55's over esp. w a power adder. Could be revving quite hi w say 26" tall tires and 3.73's. I myself shift into 4th 1/1 on my 03 w nitrous on w 3.55's. I have not checked prices. So I'd only go at most 4 gears more you have more time spent shifting= what .1 per gear change? mm&ff ran into this issue w 17" et streets 26" dia and 3.73's. And that had no power adder, figure 10 mph per 100 size jets. At least that's my plan w a auto.
I guess I should mention will drive on hiway a lot so really don't want lot of rpms at say 75/80mph. About same as the 03.

I ordered the 3.73's with my 11 because I dont plan on touching power for a long time (suspension first) and wanted the extra pep. When I do save up enough to throw on a whipple, I will step down the 3.55's. I'm already chirping 4th, and almost useless in first. The car wont be any fun below third with a decent boost in power.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
seems like a good price to me
ring and pinion, gear lube, friction modifier, silicon to reseal, parts tax labor they must only be charging 50 an hour job pays about 5 hours on alldata

really? I paid 2.9hrs for my install, just got a quote for 3.5 hours to remove my diff and replace it with the DS.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I ordered the 3.73's with my 11 because I dont plan on touching power for a long time (suspension first) and wanted the extra pep. When I do save up enough to throw on a whipple, I will step down the 3.55's. I'm already chirping 4th, and almost useless in first. The car wont be any fun below third with a decent boost in power.

That's fine if you have the coin to fine tune it w each setup. :rockon: I just know I can spin 3rd gear at 80 mph w street tires and nitrous on w the 03. 1 and 2 is useless and dangerous w/o at least m/t dr radials. Although I'm hoping the 11 isn't so front heavy and wheel spin is less of a issue. More like a ok a f body. Got a lot of friends w those.

cobra199711

Established Member
Called the dealer they want 720.00 best case and 870.00 worse case, I laughed and then he went into well you will void your warranty if you use xxxxxx blah blah blah.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
True. A car is less fun to drive when you can't floor it until late in third gear.

And by that time your over 80 mph and well over most speed limits.

This is why large road courses rock!

Maybe this is why I have just as much fun daily driving the '96 Cobra as I did when driving the '03 Cobra. More so since the '96 was immediatly paid for actually.

Back on topic though $350 plus parts/fluid is a fair price for a gear swap.

Users who are viewing this thread