Is there any reason for the intercooler bypass?

50stangpower

Established Member
In the middle of putting "the tank" on my 13 and as we all know they are not supposed to work on the 13/14. In looking through this and trying to find a solution I am wondering why there is a bypass system on the 13/14. The older models didn't have this so I'm not sure why it's needed now. If you did delete the bypass how did you do it. Any info is appreciated.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Yes its needed. The reason is because the 13/14 has a more powerful IC pump which means there is aeration in the tank because of how fast the fluid is moving through it. This will make the pump air lock and stop working.
After I upgraded to the 13/14 IC pump I didn't think much of it too. I've had it for a long time without a problem until one day the IAT2 temps shot up, I though it was the pump but sure enough when I opened the tank, air rushed out and the pump worked fine. So I'm going to add the bypass to my car.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If you did delete the bypass how did you do it. Any info is appreciated.
I wanted a 3X tank on my 14 & wanted it to do something, not just sit there like the stock tank.
During other upgrades, & after contacting SVT ( 2014 ), my tuner's shop moved my coolant pump to a position so it's coupled to the lower 3X tank port, via a short 90* hose. The 3X tank is part of the flow path & the by-pass hose was removed. The cooling system works just like it did on my 2011, & has had no issues for ( 4+ ) years.
In this pic, you can see the short 90* hose coupling the tank to the pump. The work was done by ( www.teamjdm.com ).
2014-3-X-AND-COOLANT-PUMP-INSTALL-002.jpg

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
With something like the tank, I would imagine you have a larger diameter inlet/outlet than the OEM degas tank, I'm not sure you'd need the bypass. The inlet and outlet on the plastic tank has an aluminum insert that reduces the i.d. a considerable amount that contributes to coolant frothing. The 3x plastic tank has the same issue. If you don't use a bypass I'd peroidically check what's going on inside the tank, since you won't be able to see it.

50stangpower

Established Member
Correct they are the same size as the tubing. There is also a reducer in the rubber line that goes to the tank that would be removed as well.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Correct they are the same size as the tubing. There is also a reducer in the rubber line that goes to the tank that would be removed as well.

The SVT Engineers incorporated that reducer toward the inlet side of the S/C reservoir for a reason..............to minimize the flow toward the tank and force the main flow around the tank, which also minimizes degas air being mixed into the coolant flow. That is the whole reason for the coolant bypass system on the 2013/14, to minimize air getting mixed into the coolant flow which degrades the cooling system ability to remove heat.

There has to be a fill/degas point, that is the S/C reservoir function on the 2013/14, but the main coolant flow was kept away from the degas air for a reason.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
so essentially its pointless to ice the inter cooler tank in drag racing the 13/14

If you want to full flow the I/C tank on a 2013/14 as was the case with the 2007-2012, then it will work the same, but the change was made for a reason by the SVT Engineers, but each owner has their own use for their car.

Also keep in mind "full flow" through the I/C tank was found to not be the optimum for efficient cooling in that GT500 S/C system, that is why they bypassed that tank with the main flow and restricted it on the side lines. <<There will be the "restricted flow" through that ice in the OEM configuration, but I don't think "ice" was a consideration when they redesigned the 2013 S/C cooling system, I could be wrong......

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
What would be real interesting would be to put a Go-Pro videoing the 2007-2012 I/C tank and run the GT500 through its paces, hard acceleration, hard braking, hard lefts, hard rights............I believe that video would show quite a bit of agitation of the S/C coolant in that reservoir. The worst part would be under hard braking and hard right turns when the reservoir inlet would most likely become uncovered and all coolant coming into the tank would be introduced into the degas air directly into the coolant flow. <<<That uncovered inlet is the biggest issue with air getting into the coolant flow and degrading the cooling systems ability to remove heat. <<That is what the SVT Engineers tried to eliminate with the bypass hose system.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
IMO, the GT500 S/C coolant tank shown below is a nice design. The inlet is low in the tank and it would be almost impossible to uncover it unless the system was wayyy low on coolant, but that is a different issue.......

034.jpg

These reservoirs are for the 2013/14 (Natural Alum. w/bypass), but the 2007-2012 upper hose will also fit into the oem position as shown on the Black 2013/14 tank ..........

033.jpg

The Black tank with the bypass hose in place..........

004.jpg

No butchering that expensive 2013/14 bypass hose.........NICE!!

R

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
...the IAT2 temps shot up, I though it was the pump but sure enough when I opened the tank, air rushed out and the pump worked fine. So I'm going to add the bypass to my car.

I should add that this happened when I started taking the car to HPDE events, before that it never happened. So it really depends on how you're using the car.

50stangpower

Established Member
The tanks outlet is straight out so it's about 2" too far to the right for the "T" in the hose to line up. I have a set of specific 13/14 tanks but I like the large single version better. If I can figure out how to resoze ages on my phone I will post some pics.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
What would be real interesting would be to put a Go-Pro videoing the 2007-2012 I/C tank and run the GT500 through its paces, hard acceleration, hard braking, hard lefts, hard rights............I believe that video would show quite a bit of agitation of the S/C coolant in that reservoir. The worst part would be under hard braking and hard right turns when the reservoir inlet would most likely become uncovered and all coolant coming into the tank would be introduced into the degas air directly into the coolant flow. <<<That uncovered inlet is the biggest issue with air getting into the coolant flow and degrading the cooling systems ability to remove heat. <<That is what the SVT Engineers tried to eliminate with the bypass hose system.
You do realize the direction of flow is from the heat exchanger to the intercooler to the degas to the pump? If you did uncover the reservoir inlet, I can't see where it would have any effect.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
IMO, the GT500 S/C coolant tank shown below is a nice design. The inlet is low in the tank and it would be almost impossible to uncover it unless the system was wayyy low on coolant, but that is a different issue.......

View attachment 1522356

These reservoirs are for the 2013/14 (Natural Alum. w/bypass), but the 2007-2012 upper hose will also fit into the oem position as shown on the Black 2013/14 tank ..........

View attachment 1522357

The Black tank with the bypass hose in place..........

View attachment 1522358

No butchering that expensive 2013/14 bypass hose.........NICE!!

R
Who makes those tanks?

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Other than cosmetics, what would be gained by increasing the size of the de-gas tank, & then by-passing it ?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The tanks outlet is straight out so it's about 2" too far to the right for the "T" in the hose to line up. I have a set of specific 13/14 tanks but I like the large single version better. If I can figure out how to resoze ages on my phone I will post some pics.

I had the early version of "The Tank" (before they sold to the current vendor) here at the house and test fitted it in my 2008 with the 2013 pump installed on my timing cover. I looked at installing the by-pass hose set up with The Tank and I believe that with some fittings and splicing that the 2013 bypass "may" be able to be routed back to that nipple, but it would take some hose re-engineering.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Other than cosmetics, what would be gained by increasing the size of the de-gas tank, & then by-passing it ?

You keep the coolant out of the air and minimize mixing, it is that simple. Air in coolant degrades the ability to remove heat. Keeping the main coolant flow away from the degas air was the goal, the bypass accomplished that.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
You do realize the direction of flow is from the heat exchanger to the intercooler to the degas to the pump? If you did uncover the reservoir inlet, I can't see where it would have any effect.

It is more of a mixing air into the coolant that is the issue, attempting to minimize that was the bypass. When both air and coolant are in the same tank and all coolant flow is also through that same tank, and agitation of that coolant in that tank with the degas air..........well, you can see the picture from there.....

Where ever the degas tank is in the system flow, air/coolant mixing can occur, of course the degas tank is at a higher point in the system to perform the degas function.

Even small air bubbles attaching to metal in the cooling system cause "Hot Spots". Most all of the coolant additives are designed to help minimize Hot Spots and minimizing the air/coolant mix to start with also minimizes Hot Spots.

It seems to me that going backwards from the SVT Engineer designed 2013/14 bypass system defeats the purpose of a better S/C cooling system. If the 2007-2012 S/C cooling system was good enough, they (Ford/SVT) would not have spent the R&D $$$$ on improving it and then the production change costs also.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread