Is there a way to track down previous owners?

2141pete

Established Member
Long story short I picked up my car and have questions. The older gentlemen I bought it off of didn't really know anything. I saw the vehicle report on it and knew it was salvaged from an accident in the right front. I checked the car over very thoroughly and ended up buying it. The salvage doesn't really bother me because it was fixed right and every body line is laser straight and it drives/handles like a dream. I plan on owning it until my little ones are old enough to pry it away anyhow. My main questions would be what mods are done that I can't see. The seller told me it had an intake, off road x-pipe, bassani cat back, King cobra clutch, and Saleen suspension. Once I started looking I also found a short throw shifter, 30#injectors, a big after market throttle body, and headers (I believe they came stock with manifolds).

I have been tinkering with diesels for the last 10 years and consider myself pretty ignorant with these cars and I'm still searching and reading allot to try and learn the acronyms and the basics.

I think the car must be tuned because with all of what I found it runs smooth as silk and it seems like it should without a proper tune. I would just like a chance to ask the PO's the history on it and maybe get some old pics to keep with the rest of the stuff I have.

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Nothing short of carfax his email, prior service records and call those places and ask for info or further info...your not really supposed to be able to find or "pester" so to speak the prior owners ..

2141pete

Established Member
Nothing short of carfax his email, prior service records and call those places and ask for info or further info...your not really supposed to be able to find or "pester" so to speak the prior owners ..

I know it will be hard, no one is legally going to give me the info. I have been googling the crap out of it for a week. I have used the VIN, known cities, the SVT production number, and year with no luck. It stinks because the registration for the 2 previous owners was in the car but got thrown away with some other stuff before I could look for them. The vehicle report says there were only three owners before me and the car was located in Santa Ana Ca, Mountain View Ca, Cupertino Ca, Anderson Ca, and Bakersfield Ca.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Being that the car had three owners, it is likely that owner #2 did some mods that owner #3 might not have known about. Or, mods that owner #1 did that neither #2 or #3 knew about. Possibilities. If that is the case, you'd have to really track down all three previous owners and that is just about impossible. Find one past owner is hard enough. I wish you the best in your quest.

Just a thought. Consider having a good shop very familiar with the '96 Cobra give it a thorough check. They may or may not find additional mods. They won't find every mod, of course, unless they basically tore the car apart. But they might be able to give you at least a more thorough list than the one you now have.

Users who are viewing this thread