Is the Oem nav double din size?

jh4dc231

Established Member
Was wondering if the Oem navigation was double din size, was thinking maybe I could use the Oem navigation dash panel and the hvac buttons and use an aftermarket screen

StalkerStang

Established Member
Scoche, Metra and another company I can't think of at the moment all make replacement panels that allow the use of standard double din sized stereos. One of them only works with certain Kenwood head units but allows all the HVAC controls to be controlled through the headunit via touchscreen.

By the time you buy the stereo you want, with the dash kit and the associated wiring you need to make it all work it gets a little pricey.

The main issue is the factory radio panel controls everything; the radio, the A/C, heat, etc. Its all on a printed circuit board. Trying to separate the A/C and heat controls from the radio controls will take some work. I tried to do it myself but got sidetracked with more engine related stuff.

noldevin

Established Member
Scoche, Metra and another company I can't think of at the moment all make replacement panels that allow the use of standard double din sized stereos. One of them only works with certain Kenwood head units but allows all the HVAC controls to be controlled through the headunit via touchscreen.

This is the way to go. The other company is idatalink (model is MUS01) and IMO that is the best one. With the Maestro kit and the dash kit you can have some hard button shortcuts and control the rest through the radio (must get a radio with climate controls).
Hacking up a nav won't save you any money because you could probably sell it for way more than you'd save by using it.

Users who are viewing this thread