Is the new F150 really that good?

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
05 Roush said:
Wow,

I must have a cherry. No rattles. No squeeks. Not a single out of place body panel or interior panel. Everything is perfect as far as I can tell. With the exception of some additional freon (hey, it's Pheonix and I'm picky), I've been happy as a clam.

11,500 miles of supercharged fun. Plus 16 MPG hard city driving. :banana:

All in due time...

71stang99

Established Member
We have an 04 150 FX4 with just about every upgrade offered at the time, we love the truck and so far the mods are an Airaid intake and the 'leveling' spacer for the front. I am happy with the 3.73 traction lock rear end however we occasionally tow a heaver travel trailer so I was thinking about the Magnaflow exhaust and underdrive pullies to push up the HP/TQ a bit, any input? also is the reflash free from ford? especially with the intake? check out troyer performace they do alot with the F150

Last edited:

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
MiMiK said:
How often do you change the transmission and front and rear axel fluids?! <--- (IMPORTANT)

tranny fluid is supposed to be "lifetime" and never changed.

As for the axel fluids, refer to FordRacing200...

and other than having cds lodge themselves in the radio, I have no problems. 04 FISO, 5.4xlt, 35k miles.

I avg 20mpg (highway) with a drop in K&N, and a flowmaster.

....and my comment still stands:
why spend 300bucks on an FPIK for a mostly stock motor? I can see if you are like 05Roush, but the air intake demands on a stock motor you don't need an FPIK nor will you see gains enough to justify the price. A tuner is money much better spent.

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
ElGato said:
tranny fluid is supposed to be "lifetime" and never changed.

As for the axel fluids, refer to FordRacing200...

and other than having cds lodge themselves in the radio, I have no problems. 04 FISO, 5.4xlt, 35k miles.

I avg 20mpg (highway) with a drop in K&N, and a flowmaster.

....and my comment still stands:
why spend 300bucks on an FPIK for a mostly stock motor? I can see if you are like 05Roush, but the air intake demands on a stock motor you don't need an FPIK nor will you see gains enough to justify the price. A tuner is money much better spent.

Thanks on the Tranny fluid thing!!! You have no idea how troubled i was as far as maintanence was concerned!

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
71stang99 said:
We have an 04 150 FX4 with just about every upgrade offered at the time, we love the truck and so far the mods are an Airaid intake and the 'leveling' spacer for the front. I am happy with the 3.73 traction lock rear end however we occasionally tow a heaver travel trailer so I was thinking about the Magnaflow exhaust and underdrive pullies to push up the HP/TQ a bit, any input? also is the reflash free from ford? especially with the intake? check out troyer performace they do alot with the F150

Go with Magnaflow for the exhaust.. K&N for the intake... But i dunno bout how the exhaust is gonna come ot with your truck cause i just cut off the CATS from the exhaust system (ALL 4) and the truck really relaxed after that.. As far as the Reflash... Dunno if it's free or not.. Buy a tuner and just get it installed on the truck... Last time i reflashed my truck they chnaged my PCM code which then screwed things up for when i was tuning...

Hope this helps man!

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
I have a 05 F-150 quad cab with the 4.6, i had it chipped and tuned, and ill tell u honestly its not bad. The towing capacity is not bad either 7200, IMO though :shrug: o and also, with the 4.6 my friend has mellowtone side exits, and it sounds cherry

Last edited:

4MuscleMachines

Established Member
I have an 04 4x4 Screw with CAI, tune, and Magnaflow exhaust. I leveled the front with 2" spacers, but will soon remove them to put the truck back to stock and drop the rear 2" so that it will look better with the 22's. BTW, I put in an oem Harley grille on the front, looks much better.

After 24k miles, it still drives well with no rattles. I just wish the truck would have a 5spd auto+50 more HP, the spread across only 4 gears is too much IMO.

Last edited:

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
I love my '04 FX4 SCAB,,,Fully Loaded, Black Leather, Power Everything, 3.73 Limited Slip.

Just finished the first mods,,2.5 Autospring kit and a Mac Catback.

Here is a pic and video.

IMG_0121.gif

Mac Video.

Click here to see Video

silvercoffin

Established Member

Anyone with a F150 I have a question.

Is it normal for your rear brake pads to wear out much more quickly than the front?

I called the dealership and they said because I tow this is normal. I have the car way back on the trailer so I am not over loading the truck with tongue weight and the trailer has electric brakes. Everyone I have talked to says that is not normal...except the dealership I bought it at. I don't carry much weight at all in the bed.

In fact one pad on one side in the back is very low. The inside pad on the same side is thicker. BUt all the rear pads are about half the thickness of the front ones.

I also have a crunching sound and feeling almost a creak when I turn the wheel .. I have had it ever since the dealership replaced the powersteering pump at week 2 of ownership.. (new truck) I have not bothered to complain about it because I am sure they wont notice it or will say its normal.

It's not only the quality, but the way the service depts. at the dealerships treat you. Maybe its the same for imports? I dont know becuase the people I know with Toyota and Nissan pickups have not been back yet for service.. They havent broken their powersteering or had rear windows sound like they were about to fall out (TSB on that one)...or trucks that go into nuetral for no reason or uneven brake wear.

I still love my truck. I love the look of the ford above the others, but I would not buy a new ford again. I would get a Toyota or a Nissan.

My pre ford 1989 Volvo is still running 249,700 miles and counting....just had to replace the original steering linkage...well didnt have to but I did... I dont think anyone makes cars anymore...or any product for that matter that isnt designed to only make it through the warrenty period.

01svtruck

Established Member
MiMik- how do you like the sound with your 4 CATS cut out? I am debating on cutting mine out. I just recently put a K&N drop in and the edge evolution programmer. I noticed a decent gain in power and throttle response. I have not had it on long enough yet to notice if i picked up any gas mileage.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Silver coffin, I haven;t gone through anything except gas and oil in 32k miles. I do have an issue with the rear pads glazing (so they squeal on occaision) but other than that-nada. I hope you get your issues resolved. (I also use the truck to tow a car trailer w/ e brakes...)

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
01svtruck said:
MiMik- how do you like the sound with your 4 CATS cut out? I am debating on cutting mine out. I just recently put a K&N drop in and the edge evolution programmer. I noticed a decent gain in power and throttle response. I have not had it on long enough yet to notice if i picked up any gas mileage.

It sound pretty good... I noticed that after i pulled them out that the cooling fans didn't whine if the weather got too hot... The sound is amazing! At wide open throttle though! at 2500 2750 RPMS you get this slight drone in the cabin but it's very unnoticable...
You should have gone with SCT tuning! I out ran a 05 F150 same as mine with the same kit... It's like each time i shifted to the next gear the car "popped" forward like an angry bunny and i pulled away from him like crazy!
I have Stainless JBA headers on the way... Ill see how that works out.. I hear it should noticable change the trucks performance... Dunno though... Hope the instal is easy though! Cause this truck is a 4X4 and im really getting irritated just thinking of how hard it's gonna be!

Users who are viewing this thread