Is the new F150 really that good?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
FordRacing200 said:
You need to change both front and rear gear sets or you will rip the transfer case out by trying to turn it at two different speeds. Then as usual you have to recalibrate the speedo with a speedo gear or handheld tuner.

Thanx for adressing that, I figured that was probably the case. So it's actually gear change x 2 in terms of parts ad labor.

Can you tell me anything about how swaping gears affects towing capacity? I would assume that going to a numerically higer gear ratio would make towing easier because of torque multiplication factors? I plan on using a truck like this to tow my Cobra on a flat bed trailer eventually!

FordRacing200

Banned
REX-RACER said:
Thanx for adressing that, I figured that was probably the case. So it's actually gear change x 2 in terms of parts ad labor.

Can you tell me anything about how swaping gears affects towing capacity? I would assume that going to a numerically higer gear ratio would make towing easier because of torque multiplication factors? I plan on using a truck like this to tow my Cobra on a flat bed trailer eventually!
Yes indeed, if you have an automatic with OD then you can run 4.30 gears and be fine, but if you don't have OD then don't go over 3.55 gears. Yes it would indeed make towing easier especially on hills because you'd be able to get the rpm up for the power, unless you have a PSD, because then you can just leave it due to the low end torque of those diesels. With my dad's F-150 we just floor it and shut off OD when we're racing or towing...it pulls u in the seat which is shocking for a 6k pound truck. Anyways, If you are going to go touring (like following the FFW circuit for example) I'd say go with a PSD and if not I'd say buy a ford or dodge 1 ton V-10 or a ford with a 351W. My dads windsor freaking moves with just a flowmaster dual set-up and a K&N CAI and my uncle's 95 Dodge v-10 2500 going up hill with a ford f-350 on the back would do 80 no problem and he floored it and buried the 120 speedo uphill with 8k pounds of truck on the back mind you, talk about balls? For towing your cobra, you don't need much more then a good v-8/v-10 with a CAI

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
73000KM on my 04... Not a problem...
I literally raped the heck out of it in December going through every kind of terrain i possibly thought of in Kuwait... Mud, Water, Rocks, (at some times even the beach driving along the coast line...) The fly by wire system is not a pain... U get used to it over 2 - 3 weeks... I actually like it... All i have is a drop in filter, and deleted the factory cats.. electric fans... 2 inch leveling... a tune... thats it...

I put in the stuff in 12/02/05 and just forgot about it... The electric fans did wonders since we do have a harsh summer here in Kuwait. Tune was also great... My advice.. If u want a daily driver.. Go with the F150 its amazing...

Thanks, Thunayyan

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
MiMiK said:
73000KM on my 04... Not a problem...
I literally raped the heck out of it in December going through every kind of terrain i possibly thought of in Kuwait... Mud, Water, Rocks, (at some times even the beach driving along the coast line...) The fly by wire system is not a pain... U get used to it over 2 - 3 weeks... I actually like it... All i have is a drop in filter, and deleted the factory cats.. electric fans... 2 inch leveling... a tune... thats it...

I put in the stuff in 12/02/05 and just forgot about it... The electric fans did wonders since we do have a harsh summer here in Kuwait. Tune was also great... My advice.. If u want a daily driver.. Go with the F150 its amazing...

Thanks, Thunayyan

Cool, cool! Thanx for that info! Are these trucks popular there? What do you use it for mostly? How much does it cost to buy one there?

Let's see some picks of you and your truck in the homeland!

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
These trucks are very popular here... Since gas prices are cheap its ok to own one of these... There are bout 500 lightnings driving around (which is alot considering kuwait is no larger than im guessing new york...)

They cost bout 33000 USD bout 11000KD from the dealership, but thats as far as the lariat goes... the FX4 would cost bout 35000 - 36000 USD which is bout 11750 KD.. From the dealer of course...

Ive used it for everything... Off roading, cruising, towing, transporting some tools from and to my dads wokr place, carried graden equiptment, used it to carry bricks (bout 200 bricks... measuring 20cm / 20cm/ 30cm... Ive also driven in it too almost all of the middle east, Bahrain, UAE, Saudi, and Qatar... Nothing to complain about... Im in class now... Ill post some pics up when i get home...

Ill post em up on imageshack.com...

Hope this info helps... It's a great truck! A great daily driver... If you can afoard an F250 Turbo diseal get one if u cant then an F150... U wont regret it! My main concern was heat... Since temperatures get in excess of 50 degrees Celcius... Just driving around in it not let alone working with it is a tough job for it...

Thanks...

Last edited:

01svtruck

Established Member
Does anyone have any input on which flasher and cold air is the best? Which are yall using and what kind of gains did you pick up?

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
I really like the Edge for F150, the best cold air IMO would be the K&N FIPK. But I lean towards K&N cause I have used their products for about 6 or 7 years now.

Jerry Barnes

Established Member
F150 FX4 & Trilogy Motorsports

Hey Folks,

I love my 2004 FX4! It has been trouble free and is a very, very solid truck. I also have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 w/ a Cummins Turbo Diesel and the Ford is a definately a step above. Don't tell my wife, I lease the truck through her and she is an executive at Daimler/Chrysler.

In terms of the performance we have developed a Intercooled Supercharger kit for the 5.4L 3V and it completely changes the trucks performance. Some of the other supercharger kits have speed limiters, ours does not and easily hits 135 mph. Some kit cannot be used in 4 wheel drive, ours does utilize the 4X4 option. We drag race our truck in 4 wheel drive and it runs mid 14's.

The only issue we have run into is when the fuel level is at 1/8 of a tank and you do a burnout at WOT it starves the fuel supply and the the truck boggs down. But this happens even when the truck is NA. They need to work on the fuel tank design. I have reported this to my friends at Ford and they are looking into it.

The lease is up this year and we plan to replace the truck with an 06 Harley, black of course. But, it is a great product and no truck I have driven even comes close. We are a supplier to Ford, so it is nice to see some successes these days, given the OEM's current environment.

If you are interested in seeing the truck run at Milan, go to our web site, www.trilogymotorsports.com, and click on the videos. Its in the video clips of the Trilogy Marauders beating the Ford GT.

My 2 cents!

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Jerry Barnes said:
The only issue we have run into is when the fuel level is at 1/8 of a tank and you do a burnout at WOT it starves the fuel supply and the the truck boggs down. But this happens even when the truck is NA. They need to work on the fuel tank design. I have reported this to my friends at Ford and they are looking into it.

I run into the same exact problem and it's irritating. It's even worse when you're on the boost because the bypass valve dumps and the entire truck shifts into sloooooowwww gear. :lol1:

Jerry Barnes

Established Member
Fuel Tank Starvation

I agree completely 05Roush, It initially scared the sh!t out of me. And if I forget to remind someone using the truck, they bring it back and say there is a serious problem. If Ford does not address this in their newer trucks, I will have to correct the problem myself. But, I love the truck!

Jerry

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
01svtruck said:
Does anyone have any input on which flasher and cold air is the best? Which are yall using and what kind of gains did you pick up?

you'll see minimal gain from a cold air kit on a relatively stock engine...not enough to justify the price.

I went with a K&N drop in filter on my 04

tuners: its all a matter of personal preference. most of the bugs have been worked out.

FordRacing200

Banned
ElGato said:
you'll see minimal gain from a cold air kit on a relatively stock engine...not enough to justify the price.

I went with a K&N drop in filter on my 04

tuners: its all a matter of personal preference. most of the bugs have been worked out.
it does to justify the price, you get a good seat of the pans difference, plus it lets the motor breath easier and the truck will run smoother as well as perform smoother (power and MPG)

Mustangmaniac

Established Member
I honestly dont know my dad took it to the shop and I was out of town and it was winning first then it started jerking the whole truck. I would take it to the ford dealership if it still has the warranty and let them take a look at it but I think it was the gears in a batch where bad like very brittle

silvercoffin

Established Member
My F150 FX4

I dont think its all that great. In fact I would buy a Toyota or a Nissan if I did it over again. For towing I have no complaints, but as far as quality????

Power steering pump went at two weeks less than 1000 miles

The back window started sounding like it was about to fall out...dealership finally fixed that apparently there was a TSB on it but they had to take the entire back window out and got grease every where...

The truck randomly goes into nuetral but the dealership cant get it to do it so its not broken!

It shifts weird now too, but it is witin Ford tolerances so..no fix!

Then the usual assortment of sqeaks and rattles...now that I have a bed cover on it (the Pace Edwards electric one) thats the reason/excuse for all the noises...funny thing was it was making them before I had it installed!

I love how the truck looks....compared to everything else out there...but there is no way I would ever buy another new Ford vehicle and I would even be cautious about a used one..

My Uncle who is an All-American Truck guy actually got talked into a Toyota Tundra... He has owned American trucks all his life and owned a GMC long bed for 30 years before going to toyota!

I would sell it today if I didnt take out such a big loan and American trucks didnt depreciate so fast.

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
77000 KM on it... No problem except a changed water pump ( 1 week ago...) Neighbour has a Titan... Keeps complaining bout a jerking in his rear end and has the dealer instal electric fans to get it to cope with the heat (bout 55 Celcius)

Not a fan of Japanese made trucks... No apparant reason...

Then again... I could do without the rattles in the cabin... But... As long as it runs fine and gets me here to there eventually... Im happy..

Quick question though...

How often do you change the transmission and front and rear axel fluids?! <--- (IMPORTANT)

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Wow,

I must have a cherry. No rattles. No squeeks. Not a single out of place body panel or interior panel. Everything is perfect as far as I can tell. With the exception of some additional freon (hey, it's Pheonix and I'm picky), I've been happy as a clam.

11,500 miles of supercharged fun. Plus 16 MPG hard city driving. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread