Is the Hurst shifter out yet??

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
I see it on the americanmuscle web page but upon reading the only two reviews one of the guys says he has a prototype version and the other guy says hes still waiting on it. THey say preorders are shipped early july. Did a lil more research and saw that on hursts own site it says its not available to order online (too late to call and confirm obviously). cant seem to find anything here via search so i figured id ask.

Not interested in mgw so please dont bother saying to spend the extra coin and wait. I was aiming to get the steeda shifter but the hurst has a slightly shorter throw (hardly a concern to me) AND adds a nice touch to the interior. Two birds with one stone, reason i want it :beer:

Thanks!

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
Are you only going for looks? Because that's about all it has going for it.

NFN but Hurst has been building performance shifters since before most of the other guys knew what a shifter was.

Lots of shifter companies have gone out of business during Hurst's existence.

So why are their shifters only good for looks?

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
You will lose the reverse lockout.

This is from the product info on American Muscle's website:

27% shorter throw and improved ergonomics
Shorter, Faster Shifts
Retains and improves reverse lock-out
Legendary Hurst Quality and Styling
Fits 2011-2012 manual V6 and GT Mustangs

I have a Barton in my '11 GT and I'm interested in seeing how the MGW and the Hurst shifters feel and perform. The Hurst is the best looking IMO and I always used their chrome stick shifters in my Foxbodies with GREAT results!!!

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
You will lose the reverse lockout.

no you will not. It basically makes it like the terminators. It has a stiffer spring to keep you from going into R when downshiftijng back into 1st. Nothing new. Just dont have to push down now.

Are you only going for looks? Because that's about all it has going for it.

:bs:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
NFN but Hurst has been building performance shifters since before most of the other guys knew what a shifter was.

Lots of shifter companies have gone out of business during Hurst's existence.

So why are their shifters only good for looks?

The MT-82 isn't a Muncie Rock Crusher. The Hurst shifter does not address any of the real shortcommings of the stock piece. In NVH it's probably worse than the stocker. It is definitely overpriced for what you get. It has to be the cheapest one to produce on the market, but is only a few dollars less than the much better designed Barton. The Hurst handle is pretty though. If you prefer form much more than function or value then you may be happier with it.

The MGW is the best designed one out there.

scott_0

Established Member
I was intrigued by the Hurst unit but I went with the Barton with the bracket, just ordered it from AM yesterday.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
hmm, i guess ill need to see a few actual reviews before i buy anything. Ill probably stick with the steeda if its as bad as you write about it. Havnt really seen much on the hurst i guess. just saw the throw was slightly better than the steeda but liked that it also added some looks to my boring base interior, lol. Noise is honestly not a problem to me. I still cant see what everyones complaining about on the stock noise or the whole transmission overall. MGW is too pricey, wouldnt pay that for a shifter no matter how great people write about it. I have however enjoyed their shifters on pevious cars, as well as other shifters on the same cars. My conculsion was they were all just better than stock...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The Steeda will have better noise isolation than the Hurst, but it still doesn't address the problem of the rear bracket or main shaft bushings. The tranny will get really notchy if you make the throw too short.

hand-filer

Established Member
The MT-82 isn't a Muncie Rock Crusher. The Hurst shifter does not address any of the real shortcommings of the stock piece. In NVH it's probably worse than the stocker. It is definitely overpriced for what you get. It has to be the cheapest one to produce on the market, but is only a few dollars less than the much better designed Barton. The Hurst handle is pretty though. If you prefer form much more than function or value then you may be happier with it.

The MGW is the best designed one out there.

That brings back memories. I had an M22 rock crusher and a Hurst competition plus shifter. I had to rebuild both on average twice a year.
Times have changed. Hurst hasn't.
I patiently await your review.

Users who are viewing this thread