Is something wrong with my Whipple and or Motor?

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
I have a Gen II 2.3 with a RR 2.9 upper and a stock lower. But the car is only making 17psi, which tapers off to 16psi at 6,000 rpm.
I wanted to do more boost for E85, but the smallest pulley for the 2.3 is a 2.75, which they say will make about 1-2 psi more than what I have.

So my question is, how the hell are people making 20-21 psi with a 3.0 pulley and stock lower? Is there something wrong with mine, or were these people just bullshitting?

I want to be at 23psi, what do I need to do to get there?

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I have a 3.00 upper and 4lb lower and I make 21-22lbs. I also have lt's. If you have manifolds I think this combo will get you 23lbs or pretty close.

2-tone

Established Member
My gen II 2.3 makes 21-22 lbs. with 6lb lower 3.25 upper and headers. Add a 4 lb lower to your combo to get where you want to be.

31BCobra

Established Member
What kind of power is it currently making on the dyno?

Last tune was 590 @ 17psi. It was a garage tune from the previous owner, it was safe, but not optimal.

My gen II 2.3 makes 21-22 lbs. with 6lb lower 3.25 upper and headers. Add a 4 lb lower to your combo to get where you want to be.

How long have you had the 6lb, how is it working for you? I was thinking of doing the MM 6lb lower. and the 3.0/3.25 upper to try and reduce belt slip.

cj428mach

Established Member
I wanted to do more boost for E85, but the smallest pulley for the 2.3 is a 2.75, which they say will make about 1-2 psi more than what I have.

If you're not afraid to do a lower then thats the way to go. If you have concerns about the lower you can do some searching and maybe come across some smaller pulleys. There was a time where companies made whipple pulleys clear down to 2.5". I just sold a 2.70" and I saw within the last few week someone was selling a 2.6".

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Well the boost and rwhp jive so that's good, especially if it wasn't a great tune. Sounds like your maybe 1-2lbs off what most people see with a 2.9, but it always seems to fluctuate from car to car. Sounds like you are going to have to decide if you want to do a lower or go bigger blower if you want to see 23lbs. I'll probably be in the same boat next year and will have to make the same decision. It's shame this isn't 7yrs ago when you could get a caged 4lb lower setup.

cj428mach

Established Member
It's shame this isn't 7yrs ago when you could get a caged 4lb lower setup.

I hear you!

I bought a 4lb ring and was going to see if I could get the center milled out to build a caged 4lb lower. I was then going to turn down the out side diameter of a stock pulley and then press the 4lb lower onto the stock center but the 4lb ring is too big.

My next plan is to buy a 2lb lower and try the same idea. It won't be a good as the 4lb but it'll let me run about .25" larger upper pulley.

31BCobra

Established Member
So, I have read some things about lower pulleys causing serious issues, and you guys seem to be a little hesitant on it as well. I know nothing about them. What is the difference between a caged 4lb lower and something like the MM combo on Lethal?

Users who are viewing this thread