Is "no manual available" a deal-breaker for you regarding whether you'll purchase a new 2020 GT500?

What transmission for you ???

• " IF no manual, THEN I change to no 2020 GT500 purchase " by me :(

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • " IF no manual, THEN I will still purchase a new 2020 GT500 " and be just as happy :)

Votes: 40 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ANGREY

Established Member
If manuals are almost impossible to find and in many cases a pain to daily drive, why learn?

It doesn't matter, in 15 years everything is going to be electric anyway. The electric platforms are getting better and better and better and frankly, will eventually greatly eclipse anything that internal combustion can offer.

They've improved range by leaps and bounds and costs will continue to drop. Once those two issues are comparable, you can say goodbye to gas powered IC platforms, and inherently, manual transmissions.

Dusten

Established Member
It doesn't matter, in 15 years everything is going to be electric anyway. The electric platforms are getting better and better and better and frankly, will eventually greatly eclipse anything that internal combustion can offer.

They've improved range by leaps and bounds and costs will continue to drop. Once those two issues are comparable, you can say goodbye to gas powered IC platforms, and inherently, manual transmissions.
Not until battery capacity is improved and charge time is massively decreased

Snoopy49

Established Member
And no one has even started to address the infrastructure problem. Mass charging stations are already huge problems with the grid.

I agree. It would be like someone in Ca trying to drive from the Mexican border to the Oregon border on E85, unless you have a personal tanker loaded with E85 following you all the way, it ain't happening.

Not to mention the fact that no one has come up with a plan to dispose of all the used batteries.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
If it's pure 'toy' car, driven 1,000 miles (maybe) per year, then it needs a stick IMHO. But if you drive it often and want the fast and lazy way, then the auto is OK too. Whatever floats your boat.

Bottom line: it's damn AWESOME that we have choices like this in America. Enjoy it while it lasts. Self-driving cars will be mandated at some point and cars like this GT500 will be restricted and/or simply banned.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm definitely with you on the performance. I think this thing with the dct will be sick.

My biggest concern is the reliability of the dct, especially with elevated power levels(I do modify shit for a living). One of the hallmarks of the late model "cobra/gt500" line starting with the terminator was ease and low cost of modding them. Will this DCT be the weak and expensive piece holding back the 2020 GT500 from being able to be modded easily and cheaply? I still think a m6 and 10 speed auto would have been a better choice. With the 10 speed already being in the gt, the aftermarket support for that trans is going to be overwhelming. This new dct, probably much more niche and not as well supported.

Just my thoughts. If you intend to keep the thing stock then I think the DCT is definitely the best choice.

x100

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

noco5.0

Established Member

When they make a cell phone battery that lasts for a week without recharging I'll believe they can make a reliable electric car that can be used the same way as an internal combustion vehicle. It might happen, but there are a lot of interest groups who stand to lose tons of money.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
1/2 the problem is a large portion of people believe a DCT is just a form of an automatic, after having this debate for over a decade now, I grow weary. A DCT is similar to a convertor automatic in that it shifts automatically, but thats wher the similarity stops. the 'instant shift, "slapping" of the gear changes and overall driving feel, is not boring. I had the DCT M3 for several years (same dct in ferrari 458). I drove it in manual mode for the 1st 20 miles from the dealer, after that, always on my own unless at the dragstrip or racing.

The same "driving experience" the 3 peddlers refer to, is what the DCT gives its driver.
Its a super fun car to drive for yourself around town, and even more fun when when looking back and seeing the headlights of the guy still trying to find 3rd, and then over at the guy falling back who found 3rd, but not "fast enough"

can you couple/uncouple the flywheel from the rest of the drivetrain in a dct while driving? and somehow be able to slip that coupling? (serious question, i do not know enough about them, nor have i ever driven one)

but i suspect that, unless you can, it simply cannot provide the same driving experience or control as a manual clutch... and that, i believe, is very important to a driving enthusiast to have in a road car.

Lacquer

Established Member
Yes, DCTs can couple and uncouple on demand, not sure if the Mustang will be set up to paddle pull neutral on the fly like some, but unless you wanted to coast down a hill, then one could use the selector. I take you question on being able to control the slipping personality like a manual clutch. The DCT coupling has several personalities available at any time. You can have smooth as a babies butt shifts, or slam you in the back tires chirping rubber through the gears. This is one of the great things about a DCT. Drive it auto or manual and if you want, it will switch between those in a blink at speed without you having to think about it. In Manual or auto it can be a whole range of personalities, controlled by you. it can have simple smooth manners, to viscous bang shifting drag shifts controlled by you or by the auto, flawless rpm matched shifting up and down on a road course where you can have complete control or let it take over if you get over your head. There will never be a "money" shift. This car is going to be the ultimate Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde with the DCT.

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
The car won’t have the same soul without a manual. I’m not buying one without a clutch pedal/manual trans.

Muscle cars with DCT transmissions.... like seriously WTF? Ford is losing it too like other manufacturers. I can’t believe my eyes and ears.

A Quick related story.... I’ve owned 5 Audi S4’s in my life.... a 2000, a 2002, a 2011, a 2015 and now a 2018. I always thought that the S4 was one of the best cars on the market. Fantastic performance, handling, nice seats and luxury and unbeatable all weather performance w the Quattro.... and until now a 6spd manual.

Well......I bought the 2018 model instead of paying up to get a bmw m3 w a 6spd.... partly because I was working at Audi at the time and got a massive discount for being an employee.

So, despite me trying to look past it, and giving it a shot because of my loyalty to the brand, the car is absolutely ruined without having a stick/manual transmission. Tiptronic and paddles are great gadgets and fancy distractions, but there’s no substitute... the sporty soul of the car is gone. I’m not happy with it at all and the fun of driving it... no matter how good the engin, performance, and suspension and traction is, its equivalent to pretty much every other car on the road. Boring.

Ford is in the process of completely F*CK1NG the new GT500 up. I hope that they don’t do to the GT500 what Audi has done to my always beloved S4’s.

In all my life, I have never been disappointed in Ford (especially SVT) until now, I’ve always loved the latest and greatest... and have spent a fortune on them (16 and counting) in my life.

Hopefully they will come to their senses like the article in road and track states and offer a manual if “the mustang enthusiasts/customers show enough interest in it”.

LostM

Established Member
can you couple/uncouple the flywheel from the rest of the drivetrain in a dct while driving? and somehow be able to slip that coupling? (serious question, i do not know enough about them, nor have i ever driven one)

but i suspect that, unless you can, it simply cannot provide the same driving experience or control as a manual clutch... and that, i believe, is very important to a driving enthusiast to have in a road car.

Yes, DCTs can couple and uncouple on demand, not sure if the Mustang will be set up to paddle pull neutral on the fly like some, but unless you wanted to coast down a hill, then one could use the selector. I take you question on being able to control the slipping personality like a manual clutch. The DCT coupling has several personalities available at any time. You can have smooth as a babies butt shifts, or slam you in the back tires chirping rubber through the gears. This is one of the great things about a DCT. Drive it auto or manual and if you want, it will switch between those in a blink at speed without you having to think about it. In Manual or auto it can be a whole range of personalities, controlled by you. it can have simple smooth manners, to viscous bang shifting drag shifts controlled by you or by the auto, flawless rpm matched shifting up and down on a road course where you can have complete control or let it take over if you get over your head. There will never be a "money" shift. This car is going to be the ultimate Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde with the DCT.

He summed it up nicely, what I can add is that : No, it will not be the "same" exact driving experience. i went from the dct m3 to a 6spd 900hp s2000, so i understand the "feeling" and enjoyment people are referencing from banging their own gears

However- the DCT WILL provide a level of driver engagement and joy that an automatic cannot provide, that mimic everything except the clutch slipping and arm movement that you love about a trad manual, and then some. i can say this, because it is the EXACT same discussion, a decade old, that the M3 drivers had, and every SINGLE manual only m3 driver, that drove my m3, can personally attest that yes, its awesome and much more fun than they expected, and several sold their 6spd E92 m3s, to get the DCT E92 m3.

So when we dct owners say things like this, its not breaking new ground, its just treading through old territory, with new people, in a new market

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I have ZERO interest in a GT500, or ANY performance car that doesnt have a manual. Period.

Awesome. Hopefully this keeps up and has a ripple effect on pricing. Come one guys, let's keep this thing going!

/facetious mode off/

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
After draving high horsepower cars with manual trans before and now I have a car with DCT . DCT hands down . I go to 1/4 mile ,1/2 mile and road course tracks very often , it's laughable every time I see a 500hp+ car with manual at the track I know it's going to a big fail . it will be lucky to make 1 clean pass then you get 100 excuses from the owner why it sucked on 90% of his passes . it's not a manual transmission , it's an excusomatic . it's always : but but but I missed a shift , my clutch slipped ,I can't launch hard , I was in the wrong gear , I need car lengths from you because my car came with caveman transmission.
You need to find out what you want out a car . If you're one of those people that buy a high HP car with manual and all the do is drive 5mph under speed limit to the local cars and coffee , put 1K miles a year on the car then you are fine with manual trans car .
My performance cars always had manual transmissions before but this is the first car with DCT I have now .Downshifts and up-shifts are pretty fun with DCT using shift paddles. All the headache I had with manual transmissions before I don't miss them at all

I think performance cars got into this crazy Hp range lately that manual transmissions aren't that much fun anymore
Im someone who can readily admit I need to get better at performance driving a manual transmission. A person either knows how to drive a manual car fast or they dont. Its a skill that needs to be honed like anything else.

Snoopy49

Established Member
So, despite me trying to look past it, and giving it a shot because of my loyalty to the brand, the car is absolutely ruined without having a stick/manual transmission. Tiptronic and paddles are great gadgets and fancy distractions, but there’s no substitute... the sporty soul of the car is gone. I’m not happy with it at all and the fun of driving it... no matter how good the engin, performance, and suspension and traction is, its equivalent to pretty much every other car on the road. Boring.

As far as I know, the Tiptronic is not a DTC, so how can you judge the DTC performance?

How can you dismiss something you have never experienced?

noco5.0

Established Member
I had an A8 Hellcat for about 18 months. I got bored with it and traded it for a manual. I haven't looked back. They should have made the GT500 with both.

LostM

Established Member
As far as I know, the Tiptronic is not a DTC, so how can you judge the DTC performance?

How can you dismiss something you have never experienced?

correct, tiptronic is a traditional automatic. just like the 997.1's, came in 6spd and tip, 997.2 is pdk/dct

takiotoshi

Established Member
I had the opportunity to drive a friends Porsche 911 gt3 rs recently and if the Gt500 trans can shift as fast a the pdk like the Porsche does, this car will be a beast. Unfortunately right now everybody is worried about having a manual and they are speculating about the results so for my part I'll wait for the car to come out.

When the Gt350 was presented it was the same thing, people complaining about the front end or any other thing and now is regarded as one of the best mustangs so lets wait and see.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I am really liking the GT500 now. I already have a manual transmission car and the DCT sounds pretty fun to me. I loved the GT350 I test drove at a Ford dealership, but didn't like it didn't feel significantly faster than my GT. The GT500 fixes that problem and it looks like it is just oozing with tech. I went to my SVT dealer and placed a small deposit for a GT500. No markup, just MSRP. In Canada, because we have SVT dealers, the dealers usually get between 20-30 allocations per year. So I feel pretty confident that I will be getting one considering I am the third one to leave a deposit. Of course the dealer and even Ford didn't decide on allocations yet but I don't image it being different.

According to my fleet source - Donlen - 2020 Mustangs will be orderable in early May. I am sure we will be getting further information on price/options/allocations a couple months earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread