Is "no manual available" a deal-breaker for you regarding whether you'll purchase a new 2020 GT500?

What transmission for you ???

• " IF no manual, THEN I change to no 2020 GT500 purchase " by me :(

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • " IF no manual, THEN I will still purchase a new 2020 GT500 " and be just as happy :)

Votes: 40 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

reason4treason

Established Member
So apparently those who must have a manual 2020 GT500 or none at all are collectively going to have to sufficiently beg for it. And the "collective" is just a sum of all of the "individual" must-haves. So where do you stand? Must you have a manual or "no deal"? Do you prefer an automatic and could care less if the manual era is over? Or are you one of those folks who can swing either way?

RATHER THAN CHOOSING TO SORT INTO THREE POSSIBLE RESPONSES for those who for sure intend to purchase a new 2020 GT500 which would be: 1) I prefer by far a manual, and IF none offered THEN i will not purchase a new 2020 GT500; 2) IF either one was not offered, THEN I would just choose the other with no regrets, whatever it is; or 3) i prefer an automatic, by far, and IF no automatic was offered, THEN I would not purchase a new 2020 GT500 ...

INSTEAD I WILL POSE TWO POSSIBLE RESPONSES: 1) " IF no manual, THEN I change to no 2020 GT500 purchase " by me :( or 2) " IF no manual, THEN I will still purchase a new 2020 GT500 " and be just as happy :)

I'm choosing the only-two-possible-responses approach because only the manual is still undecided. And the first possible response wording indicates that i will continue my intent to buy. It would be interesting to see the results of those who must have an automatic or they will not purchase. but I seriously hope/intend for this poll thread to be " svt's voice, primarily to Ford " in regard to the 2020 GT500 because, as previously mentioned, customers have to do a good enough job at coming up with enough of those who absolutely MUST have a manual option available in order to have a manual option at all.

To have Dodge, GM, etc see these results too would be great for survival of the manual being available in SOME at least halfway decent new performance vehicle on the planet, even if not a Ford. I know i don't speak for everyone and i know there are some who are of the Ford-flavored variety of the slogan "MOPAR or no car" but there are also a lot of us who do enjoy some other brands too, not just "FORD or I'm not on board!"

blue 07

Established Member
Call me old school but I want a shifter. As a 2013 GT 500 owner it should at least be an option on the new 2020. I guess it just made my car that much more desirable in the long run.

96gt02

Established Member
I certainly am not in the market for a new 2020 GT500 but maybe in 5 years when they are more reasonable in price with low miles I would only consider one in stick only, if auto is the only answer I will just keep my 12. With this being said Ford only cares about selling new cars and a customer like myself means absolutely nothing to them and unfortunately at the price point these will be at with ADM, Id imagine most buyers would want an auto sadly

merkyworks

Established Member
Don't plan to buy 2020 GT500 but if I was and I had an option of manual or DTC, I would choose the DCT. It's hard to argue with the performance gain of a DCT.

Best analogy I can think of, manual Vs DCT. Do you want a car with manual brakes or power assist brakes?

Norm Peterson

Established Member
For everyone who won't, there are 3 old duffers with bad knees waiting to take his place.
I am old (working on my 72nd trip around the sun as I post this) and my left knee hasn't been nearly as good as it once was for the last 31 of those.

Financial insanity relative to assets and retirement income aside, no MT = no sale here. No matter how big the performance gap between being equipped with a conventional MT and equipped with whatever else (DCT, conventional automatic, CVT, other). But rather than skew the poll I'm opting out of casting an official vote.

Norm

Last edited:

gofast15

Established Member
After draving high horsepower cars with manual trans before and now I have a car with DCT . DCT hands down . I go to 1/4 mile ,1/2 mile and road course tracks very often , it's laughable every time I see a 500hp+ car with manual at the track I know it's going to a big fail . it will be lucky to make 1 clean pass then you get 100 excuses from the owner why it sucked on 90% of his passes . it's not a manual transmission , it's an excusomatic . it's always : but but but I missed a shift , my clutch slipped ,I can't launch hard , I was in the wrong gear , I need car lengths from you because my car came with caveman transmission.
You need to find out what you want out a car . If you're one of those people that buy a high HP car with manual and all the do is drive 5mph under speed limit to the local cars and coffee , put 1K miles a year on the car then you are fine with manual trans car .
My performance cars always had manual transmissions before but this is the first car with DCT I have now .Downshifts and up-shifts are pretty fun with DCT using shift paddles. All the headache I had with manual transmissions before I don't miss them at all

I think performance cars got into this crazy Hp range lately that manual transmissions aren't that much fun anymore

Recon

Established Member
I want a man transmission in a muscle car period. I don’t give a **** if it can shift within hundredths of a second; it mustang have 3 pedals or don’t bother.

Pick your poison.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
No. Manual in my 2012 is great but I would be happy with the DCT. I always thought I needed a corded telephone but have survived the move to better technology.

Kapy

Established Member
I learned how to race with a MT on the road course over 25+ years ago. When everyone had nothing but MT’s the skills required to race and be competitive distinguished those that new what f*** they were doing vs not. Today that still applies as I competitively still race. The folks that are in your way, wrong gear, don’t know how to heal toe, blah blah blah never learned in the first place. Not going to argue, DCT is faster and god it should be. But the competitiveness and skill many once possessed and had to possess were much more back in the day. Not too mention the racing was a hell of a lot more exciting to watch as well. But hey, different strokes for different folks. I prefer to still have to drive every bit of the car.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm traditionally a manual only guy but I'm not opposed to a good car without one.

If I had the opportunity (and means lol) to buy a FGT I wouldn't bat an eye at the DCT.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
If it was the A10 in the Mustang GT, no thanks. DCT, i am okay with. I would pick manual over it if it becomes an option.

Norm Peterson

Established Member
After draving high horsepower cars with manual trans before and now I have a car with DCT . DCT hands down . I go to 1/4 mile ,1/2 mile and road course tracks very often , it's laughable every time I see a 500hp+ car with manual at the track I know it's going to a big fail . it will be lucky to make 1 clean pass then you get 100 excuses from the owner why it sucked on 90% of his passes . it's not a manual transmission , it's an excusomatic . it's always : but but but I missed a shift , my clutch slipped ,I can't launch hard , I was in the wrong gear , I need car lengths from you because my car came with caveman transmission.
For anybody who bought a car with a manual transmission for their own right reasons, and those reasons did not include drag racing, none of that matters. Not even a little bit.

You need to find out what you want out a car . If you're one of those people that buy a high HP car with manual and all the do is drive 5mph under speed limit to the local cars and coffee , put 1K miles a year on the car then you are fine with manual trans car .
Finding out what you want in a car, sure.

But let's not try to say there's nothing between your cars & coffee stereotype and a win-or-break-trying drag racer that can't be satisfied driving a conventional MT.

My performance cars always had manual transmissions before but this is the first car with DCT I have now .Downshifts and up-shifts are pretty fun with DCT using shift paddles. All the headache I had with manual transmissions before I don't miss them at all

I think performance cars got into this crazy Hp range lately that manual transmissions aren't that much fun anymore
It's fine with me that you like your DCT. However, I think you're trying a bit too hard here, which makes me wonder who you're trying to convince.

Just so you know where I'm coming from . . . every car I've bought since 1970 has been equipped from the factory with a regular 3-pedal "stick shift" transmission. Meaning all of the "family sedans", some of which have seen autocross use.

Norm

MelloStang2010

Established Member
I've always been a manual only person but there gets a point in power level that the benefits of the auto really shows, especially a DCT. If ford only offered the 10r80 as the trans for the 2020 then yeah the hate for having no manual would be totally justified. A legit DCT trans will be amazing and is only going to make the car perform better all around. I wonder what percentage of people that are hating on it have actually driven a performance car with a DCT, there is a reason supercars and the like use them. I would have rather seen ford offer the DCT along with either a tr6060 or t56 and forget about the 10r80 completely. Id likely get the DCT trans regardless but I would be surprised to see any dealer sell a new gt500 at msrp price to a average joe because ford does nothing to prevent their dealers from bending people over and price gouging them in the name of supply and demand. There are a lot of other platforms to consider when you start getting near the 100k price point.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I wouldn't have a problem or issue flicking paddles if this car only comes in a DCT, however I wonder how refined this gearbox would be compared to other DCT's.

Ford have said 100ms shift times...………….well I looked into it and the more refined DCT's are doing 40-80ms. You may not think 20-60ms difference in shift times is a big deal but it is. When you pull that paddle that shift better happen without delay and 100ms shifts is kinda long in the DCT world.

Yes, most of us want a manual but like someone said at these power/torque levels a DCT just gets it done without human errors from rowing your own gears.

For those not too familiar with DCT:

Dual-clutch automatics got you confused? You’re not alone

Chris Harris driving Ferrari's F12 TDF and 812 Superfast (both 700+hp cars with the performance #'s to match...…………..can the new GT500 touch them?):

(@5:15 listen to what he says when driving the F12 TDF)

812 Superfast (replaces the F12 TDF), the gearbox in this car has been revised with lower gear ratios and faster shifts, Superfast DCT rips off shifts in 40ms.

I'm currently in love with a Superfast, wicked car and if I hit the lottery big I'm putting one in my garage.

Yes, these are $400K+ cars vs. maybe a $100K GT500, we're just talking DCT to DCT and I think Ford will have a lot of work to do not just with the engine to get the #'s they want but getting that DCT to rip off shifts like the best exotics and survive...………...tall order but kudos to them if they pull it off.

Tony

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

Established Member
A legit DCT trans will be amazing and is only going to make the car perform better all around.
It always seems to come around to 'best straight-line performance' and 'shortest shift times'. Which really don't count for much of anything in untimed driving from street driving up to and including advanced-level HPDE. Drag racing, time-trialing, and maybe autocrossing . . . yeah there ought to be some advantage for those few seconds at a time at the strip, the minute or so for an autocross run, up to the length of your hot laps at TT.

I wonder what percentage of people that are hating on it have actually driven a performance car with a DCT
From a dead stop, they still drive like automatics.

there is a reason supercars and the like use them.
Because real race cars have them, it's an easy sell to the wanna-be's.

Norm

Curt@injected

Used to be a hardcore manual guy but after driving so many fast autos and as good as the new autos are I think I'd rather have that.

I am a little concerned about them going to dct considering ford's track record with dct transmissions. I think the 10-speed auto would have been a better choice IMO.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I am happy to see the new GT500 with a DCT, I have a bad left knee and a left foot that needed surgery in July 2018. I have not been able to drive my car since July because it is too painful to push in the clutch pedal. I will be buying a performance auto equipped car to replace my 13. My first choice is a new 2020 GT500, if I can order one at MSRP. At this time that doesn't look like a viable option, so unless Chevy updates the Camaro with a new version with better visibility, I will be going with a Dodge.

I hope I won't have to buy a Dodge, I really like my 13 and really want to stay with Ford but I have to face the fact that I am getting older and not all my parts are operating as advertised and my warranty has run out, it's time to make some changes.

Looking forward to finding a Ford dealer that will sell me 2020 for MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread