Is my stock clutch done?

raustin0017

Established Member
My 2014 has 10,500 miles and never been to the track. Mods in sig. Today was sitting pole position at Red light and the folks next to me ask to see me get on it. Light turned green and I took off in 1st and at about 20 mph fed the throttle to the floor and shifted at 6,500. Hit 2nd hard and when I looked back seen smoke. Thought it was tire smoke. Was about a mile from the house and when I pulled into the garage could smell a strong clutch smell. Am I looking at a new clutch system?

Many experts on this site and I respect your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Bob

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Put it in 6th on the highway and floor it if it slips it's done. You may have just slipped it a bit taking off and sometimes you'll smell clutch from aggressive driving but doesn't mean it's done.
-J

merkyworks

Established Member
Put it in 6th on the highway and floor it if it slips it's done. You may have just slipped it a bit taking off and sometimes you'll smell clutch from aggressive driving but doesn't mean it's done.
-J

I thought WOT in 6th is a bad idea, wouldn't 4th or 5th be safer?

RBB

Established Member
I thought WOT in 6th is a bad idea, wouldn't 4th or 5th be safer?
WOT in 6th gear at low RPMs is a bad idea. With the stock gearing on a 13/14 it's pretty much a given you will be at a low RPM in 6th on any public road. When my stock clutch starting slipping, it wouldn't even hold in 4th, so I'd imagine 4th or 5th would let you know if it was clutch time as well.

raustin0017

Established Member
Thank you gentlemen...when the roads dry out going to take Her out and let it warm up and try it in 4th and 5th.

Would someone in SC please tell the folks driving 42 mph in the left lane on I-26 I'll be coming soon?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry forgot about you neutered stock geared guys.
The old adage is put it in high gear WOT to load the clutch most.
Stock clutch was great to me with 4.10s. It still looks new after multiple 10s passes if you 3.31 guys want a back up.
:)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread