Is my pressure plate seized?

achampagne

For my Ford Ranger build, I am using a t56 from a 2004 cobra mustang. The clutch is a twin disk setup from competition clutch For a cobra mustang as well.I installed the clutch and transmission, and I wanted too test it since I did not have the pedals set up yet. So I went under the truck and pushed in the clutch fork to see if it would release the pressure plate and it didn’t budge. after what felt like pressing down with hundreds of pounds of force, it finally snapped open. Is the clutch supposed to be that heavy to open? Also, I don’t think its right that it snaps open rather than gradually releases with more pressure. At first I thought the throwing bearing was installed incorrectly, but I triple checked and its right too. What else could I have installed wrong?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
What did you push on the fork with? If it moved it's not seized. I haven't heard of those clutches so I can't comment on how stiff it might be. Best bet is to wait until the pedals are in and go from there.

achampagne

I got under the truck, put my foot on the end of the clutch fork and put my shoulders on a cross member. Basically kinda like a squat motion and only then did it move. I can squat a lot of weight and it was quite A lot of pushing to get it to move. I would wait for the pedals but I have a lot of fab work to do and id prefer to know now if I did something wrong.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You have to look at the leverage. You don't have a whole lot of it when pushing on the end of the fork like that. Plus you're not really stabilized like you would be sitting in the vehicle.

Usually when I need to move the clutch fork I put a big pry bar on it and push it. That might be a better way to go. A little more leverage and control so you can see/feel what's going on.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
agreed that you're not going to get an accurate idea of force without the cable routed through to the petals

Users who are viewing this thread