is Mobil 1 15W50 ok?

venom279

Established Member
Could someone please explain to me how different weights of oils get different gas mileage?? I have never heard this in my life!! FYI I use mobil1 15W50 and I get 17-18mpg in town and I get 20-21mpg on highway trips.

Brian

davidmax

Established Member
For a HI Temp forced air car 15w 50 is perfect.I usr 10-40 in my highly modded Cobra and 15-4 in my TT Vette.Turbos run real hot specially in the 116 degree heat,Dave S.

jeffsavage

Established Member
This whole thread has me scratching my head. 50w oil in a car that the manufacturer recommneds 20w? That's crazy. If you develop engine trouble and they find you are running oil that far outside the range they recommend I wouldn't be surprised they void the engine warrenty.

Why take the chance?

venom279

Established Member
Originally posted by jeffsavage
This whole thread has me scratching my head. 50w oil in a car that the manufacturer recommneds 20w? That's crazy. If you develop engine trouble and they find you are running oil that far outside the range they recommend I wouldn't be surprised they void the engine warrenty.

Why take the chance?

Which car are you refering to?? Mine came from the factory with 15W50 in the car and that is what's recommended for it says so right on the valve covers, kind of funny since Ford keeps tellling alot of 03'Cobra owners that they do not recommend synthetic oils!!:D

:beer:

golfprowanabe

Established Member
well I think I'll stay with the 15W 50 for this one oil change. It's summer time and the temps are not going to drop before my next change. And hell....for the summer I can romp on it with a little more security of 50W.

venom279

Established Member
I think you will be just fine, the argument over oils could and will go on forvever, every person has their preference, just use what you like.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by venom279
Could someone please explain to me how different weights of oils get different gas mileage?? I have never heard this in my life!! FYI I use mobil1 15W50 and I get 17-18mpg in town and I get 20-21mpg on highway trips.

Brian

Thinner oil creates less friction between moving parts incrementally increasing fuel mileage.

jeffsavage

Established Member
Originally posted by venom279
Which car are you refering to?? Mine came from the factory with 15W50 in the car and that is what's recommended for it says so right on the valve covers, kind of funny since Ford keeps tellling alot of 03'Cobra owners that they do not recommend synthetic oils!!:D

No, not you I read about you car coming with that weight. I was referring to the guy with the 03 Cobra. If I was going to switch to full synthetic (Which I really see no point to, as I am going to change the oil with the Ford syn blend every 1000 miles), I surely wouldn't use that heavy of an oil in a 2003 Cobra that they say run a 20w in. Your car, came w/ 50w pour so for you it makes sense. I guess I am rightfully concerned on this vehicle, the most expensive I have ever owned and the engine being 13 grand, I am not taking any warrenty risks.

venom279

Established Member
Originally posted by jeffsavage
No, not you I read about you car coming with that weight. I was referring to the guy with the 03 Cobra. If I was going to switch to full synthetic (Which I really see no point to, as I am going to change the oil with the Ford syn blend every 1000 miles), I surely wouldn't use that heavy of an oil in a 2003 Cobra that they say run a 20w in. Your car, came w/ 50w pour so for you it makes sense. I guess I am rightfully concerned on this vehicle, the most expensive I have ever owned and the engine being 13 grand, I am not taking any warrenty risks.

I agree with you, just use the recommended weight stated in the owners manual for each individual car I used 5w30 in my 98 Cobra, that's what was recommended in the owners manual, using synthetic or dino oil is just a personal preference. I am still curious why Ford would say ok to synthetic oil in my DOHC, but not ok for an 03'Cobra DOHC?? I am still not convinced that a lighter viscosity oil has a gas mileage advantage over a heavier one, aren't most of you guys getting 20-22mpg on the highway, because that's what I am gettting, and that is without having cruise control!!

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Thinner oil creates less friction between moving parts incrementally increasing fuel mileage.

To you and Venom. The friction reduction is in fluid friction - the friction between the lube and itself, as well as parasitic losses due to lower pumpabaility with higher viscosity. This is pretty standard stuff.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Hi David, I raced with you at NED last Friday.
As for Fram filters, go to SEARCH and put in
my name ...KenCobra03, and look for my threads
that's (2) of them, on Fram filters.You will never
buy Fram again after reading.
I am going to the dyno shop on Saturday, July 26.
Mike said he is coming too! So come on by. Ken

davidmax

Established Member
In supercharged motors we use 10-40/on turbos15-50.We use Mobil1 but since we carry redline most customers opt for the 15.00 extra for the redline and longer oil change intervals,yes Red line at 4500-5000 mile intervals is great providing you use a good filter.Dave S.

Andy M

Established Member
Well, my R came with Mobil One 15W50 from the factory and that is what I have been using since it was new. The only variation I have instituted is I now use a Mobil One filter along with every oil change, which for me is immediately after a track weekend. I know it is probably overkill, since this is synthetic and theoretically, it should be still good even after running near redline for 20 minute sessions, 4-5 times per day on a weekend event... but I do it for peace of mind.

My car now has over 5000 track miles and is still running like new! So, this is good stuff boys and girls! Because I pound the crap out of my car at the track, and not just any oil would take that kind of abuse on a regular basis.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Theres nothing wrong with that Andy. :thumbsup: I always change the oil after an on track event. Usually, I change it a few days before the event too.

Users who are viewing this thread