Is Leaving Adaptive Learning Turned OFF a Viable Option?

Willie

Established Member
I read somewhere a long time ago that on a stock motor, having adaptive on is a good thing, primarily due to parts slowly degrading and the PCM's ability to compensate with factory settings. But on a modded motor, is this such a good thing? Why do we need the PCM using long term fuel trims to adjust when it's just plain not needed or maybe not wanted?

Thoughts please.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I drove without it on for a while when I was tweaking the tune on an old set up. I didn't really notice much of a change when I turned it on. But that's not a bad thing. If it helps why leave it off?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s a good thing if it’s limited, say 5%. But I’d say to turn it off for WOT tuning.
Aftermarket EFI you can keep it on but set parameters like I mentioned.
I can’t remember if you can do it with SCT/HPT in that same way.
-J

stang910

Established Member
I prefer to leave adaptive learning off. Dial in the maf and it'll run great.

decipha

Established Member
No reason to ever turn adaptives off unless you have extremely innacurate injectors or very poor fuel control.

In any case all it does is save the corrections the o2 sensors make in closed loop.

Usually if adaptives are giving you trouble then your fuel is not dialed in properly.

Willie

Established Member
Here's what's happening. When adaptive is left Off, the A/F ratio is typically spot on, verified by datalogs, week after week, month after month. With it On, the difference between commanded and actual ratios widens with time. i.e. commanded is 11.8, actual is 11.1. I assume the ECM is learning and adjusting (incorrectly). This does not happen with adaptive turned off.

If this is all adaptive does, I'm leaning towards never turning it back on.

Willie

decipha

Established Member
if wot fueling changes from adaptives then you have a lean spot in the lower area that kams are adjusting for.

but yeah thats all adaptives does is save the fuel error the o2s correct

Users who are viewing this thread