Is it me, or could there be something wrong?

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
Lately I've noticed that whenever I come to a stop after driving through the gears, I have trouble placing it back in first before taking off again. It feels like it won't go into place and seems to get jammed. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been doing that the whole time I've had it. So sometimes the only way I can go back to first at a dead stop is to place it in second and then slide it forward into first. Anybody else have this problem and should I be concerned about a serious problem at hand?

sin`

SVT
Established Member
ya, same here. Mine does that sometimes too, not too much, but im so used to it I usually throw it in 2nd b4 1st anyways. Just a habit now.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
check/change the trans fluid. That will probably help.

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
It's almost due for an oil change so I think I'm gonna do the tranny while I'm at it. It's clocking 79k miles so the tranny fluid may have never been changed. I've only had it about five months. It's just wierd cause it just about happened over night. Thanks for the feedback fellas I'll keep ya posted.

greensvt21

retired truckie SFD!
Established Member
changing the fluid like the other guys said could help, the other problem that has been showing up with these cars is from the previous owners, mostly hard driving and autocrossing, really rowing the gears hard in these trannies tears up the syncros and they get really notchy and temermental, keep this in mind if you are a hard shifter owning a svt contour keep spare cash for a tranny rebuilt. I tell all new svt contour guys this, is a new trend, but well known for these cars. kinda like the old mustang 4spds.

My svt has under 36,000 miles and I get on rarely, but I do thrash it, key is moderation ;-) .

Last edited:

99csvt

Nothing is wrong w/ your tranny or anyone elses, its called syncronizers. Changing the oil won't hurt, but the syncro won't allow you to shoove it into first unless you line it up by putting it in second before first.

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
Have you tried adjusting your clutch? I'm not sure about how to do that in a contour but it worked for me when I was having that same problem.

00tourSVT

Established Member
Boss75 said:
Have you tried adjusting your clutch? I'm not sure about how to do that in a contour but it worked for me when I was having that same problem.

contours clutch is hydraulic.

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I'm guessing you can't adjust those...I have no idea though since I've never messed with a hydraulic clutch.

shaggist

The main thing is curing shifting difficulties with the MTX-75 transmission is to have the correct tranny fluid in the box. This is Motorcraft Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid, Part # XT-M5-QS, or 'Golden Honey'. It is available at your Ford Parts Dep't, and costs about $17.00/qt(you will need 3 qts). Drain the old stuff out of your box, letting it drip overnight, and refill with 'honey'. I can't emphasize how important this is, as almost any other fluid will cause the shifted forks to swell and bind, leading to stubborn shifts. The Contour.org site has numerous discussions about this and why it MUST be done.

creina

Established Member
I've had a similar issue for almost 1.5 years now..and I've replaced the clutch in the meantime at which time I put in the correct fluid.
------
It still does it, but hasnt' really gotten better or worse. I put approx 30k a year on the car, so I'd estimate i've had the probelm for 45k or so. The car has 201k on it. The tranny is original. But dropping into second and going into first doesn't work for me. It's best for my car to go from third to first...but sometimes it just doesn't work. I'll think it's in, let out the clutch and as soon as the car starts moving, it just pops out of first, sometimes in a really rough manner.

Users who are viewing this thread