Is it important to udate X4 hand held device or is it not needed?

peterlocal22

Established Member
Like the title says, I was trying to get the SCT performance x4 hand held scanner to hook up to my computer last night and was having a tough time but finally managed it. Under the "device settings" I hit check updates and it downloaded 235 updates. I just read I should have brought it to the factory tune before doing this then re install the custom tune after? Is this true?
Im new to this program and just trying to figure it out?

Any help is appreciated,

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
You'll be fine but what you should do is make sure you get your original tune off the hand held and saved to your computer.

I've just read a lot of horror stories about SCT and updates so I try to stay away from them. The way I look at it is if works for me now why do I need to update it. I could see an update if I was working on new coyotes where different parts of the tune maybe unlocked but on my 10 year old terminator there won't be any new advances. I read once where SCT decided to quit supporting some type of tuning software and rather than let people keep it they just shut off peoples Dongles on them in an update. I think a ton of people complained and got their Dongles turned back on but I've always been cautious of them after that.

I decided to update my hand held just a week or so ago because it could only hold 3 tunes and the new update allowed for 10 tunes. I did the update it completed and so I installed some extra tunes on it with my PRP. I went out to flash the car and the hand held said the operating system failed to boot up. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with them and they couldn't fix recover it so they had to do a reformat. They said I was lucky that I had saved my original tune to the desktop.

cj428mach

Established Member
I have the original tune saved on my laptop, should I re flash the car with it?

If you've already updated you don't need to. If you haven't done the updates I would only return it to stock if you can drive the car on a stock tune. My car has different injectors, MAF, and return fuel system so when my xcal screwed up my car wouldn't be drivable if the stock tune was on it until they got my hand held fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread