Is it bad when your bottom end knocks?

cmikul

Established Member
Yeah, one week after my little episode, at Evilcartman's, I decided to put the battery cable back on and check the damage.

After I uninstalled the Densecharger, and reinstalled it on the GT, I checked the oil for contamination from coolant.

Everything looked fine so I cranked it up. Wow! It started. It even ran under it's own steam. The idle seemed fine whereas before it woldn't even idle by itself.

Well I pull it out of the garage to wash it; yes it's only 40 degrees. After the idle settles a bit I hear a faint knocking. Not one of those holy shit my engines ****ed knocks. Just a little light airy faint knock. I jump out and listen to the pipes and yep, there it is on the driver side. A light metallicy knock.

A closer listen to the bottom end of the engine confirms it. Well that's just friggin great!!!!!!

I feel so depressed right now.

I guess I should be happy that I have other cars, that it isn't my sole sourcce of transportation and that in reality it can just be fixed.

I should be happy for these things but then theres the fat that I'm strapped and can't fix it, and the one thing worse than that! The fear of the little 5'4" female in the other room. Weird uh?

Oh, well there it is.

:xpl:

sibs4972

Established Member
That sucks. I blew my motor last year but luckily I had the means to replace it. Hope everything works out for you. If it's a light knocking it may be something minor that won't cost you a whole ton of money. Maybe just spun bearings or something. Cross your fingers. :(

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
idk, ive heard things about o2 sensors messin up, or getting coated, some story, about how it gives a light not at certain times. might be worth checkin, best of luck to you.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
A knock is never a good thing. Rod bearings are likely causes. That said, the word "knock" is subject to interpretation. I had a loud "tap" that turned out to be a valve. There are little hydraulic lifters under the cams that open the valves. These sometimes go bad or just get dirty and can sound like a rod bearing issue. I had a friend who had this happen and 5 of us were certain it was a rod bearing but it wasn't. It even seemed to come from the bottom of the engine, but it wasn't.

On mine I could take a mechanic's stethoscope and trace it to #5. A quart of Marvel Mystery Oil 500 miles before an oil change (yes, snake oil. But I have a snake so it made sense.:)) and the problem went away. Have 6K more miles on the car now with no return of the noise.

Good luck.

Chris

Last edited:

NoRcAl CoBrA

Established Member
SAME PROBLEM HAPPEND TO ME TODAY LET ME KNOW GONNA TAKE IT TO FORD ON MONDAY 96 COBRA 115,000 MILE FIRST PROBLEM WAITING FOR MY TORCH RED 03 TO SHOW UP AT FRONTIER FORD ..................

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread