Is it a good idea to upgrade the T56 magnum

IllCobra

Established Member
It's been a while since I've posted.
Lately I've thinking about selling my T56 and upgrading to a T56 Magnum. But looking at Lethal Performance's site, I saw that they offer upgraded magnum's by RPM transmission's. For example their level 5 trans has the following upgrades over a stock T56 Magnum:
  • 26 spline input shaft (Standard on ALL Magnums)
  • Media blast transmission case
  • Hand fit sliders and hubs
  • New OEM blocking rings
  • Bronze fork pads all on all gears 1-6 including reverse
  • Micropolish by Performance Metal
  • Bronze shifter bushing when applicable
  • Assembly to our specifications
My question is, is it worth it to do upgrades on the Magnum or keep it stock? I don't plan on ever seeing over 850whp on my cobra. Or are there upgrades that would be wise to do for better performance or longevity. Is the extra ~$1,000 worth it or should I stick to the Plain Jane T56 Magnum?

olympic

Established Member
You're paying $1000 for bronze fork pads, a shifter bushing and "micropolish", whatever that means. The fork pads and shifter bushing cost about $100. Not worth it IMO. Just buy a bronze shifter bushing and you can install it yourself.

IllCobra

Established Member
You're paying $1000 for bronze fork pads, a shifter bushing and "micropolish", whatever that means. The fork pads and shifter bushing cost about $100. Not worth it IMO. Just buy a bronze shifter bushing and you can install it yourself.
Thanks for the reply!
I don't know much about transmission, so I wasn't sure exactly what any of that meant lol I see you also have a Magnum. Did you keep yours stock?

Last edited:

03venomdsg

Established Member
I got one with some of those upgrades through tick this winter. It is a nice transmission mine shifts so smoothly it makes me forget about the notchiness of the t56 until I drive my gto lol

olympic

Established Member
Thanks for the reply!
I don't know much about transmission, so I wasn't sure exactly what any of that meant lol I see you also have a Magnum. Did you keep yours stock?

I put a bronze shifter bushing in it but otherwise it's stock. Shifts amazing, no complaints!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Box stock Mag XL in my 1100rwhp GT500 and I can’t tell you how good these trans shift and tolerate abuse.
I’d fully recommend the Magnum swap and only do those upgrades if it ever needs a rebuild (probably not likely unless you’re racing it regularly).
Picking the right clutch is a huge part too, I really
like my XClutch.
-J

IllCobra

Established Member
Box stock Mag XL in my 1100rwhp GT500 and I can’t tell you how good these trans shift and tolerate abuse.
I’d fully recommend the Magnum swap and only do those upgrades if it ever needs a rebuild (probably not likely unless you’re racing it regularly).
Picking the right clutch is a huge part too, I really
like my XClutch.
-J
What different between the normal t56 magnum and the XL?

IllCobra

Established Member
I got one with some of those upgrades through tick this winter. It is a nice transmission mine shifts so smoothly it makes me forget about the notchiness of the t56 until I drive my gto lol
What upgrades did you do?

IllCobra

Established Member
I put a bronze shifter bushing in it but otherwise it's stock. Shifts amazing, no complaints!
upload_2021-5-2_0-34-58.png

So this is all you added? You're about the power level I want to be at in the future, so seems like keeping the magnum stock will be just fine.

olympic

Established Member
Yes, the stock bushing is plastic and usually wears out and leads to a bit of slop in the sifter. The bronze bushing is cheap and easy to install. The Magnum is plenty strong right out of the box, no need to mess with it. The mods listed in your original post do not improve it's strength anyways as they are aimed more at shift quality.

IllCobra

Established Member
Yes, the stock bushing is plastic and usually wears out and leads to a bit of slop in the sifter. The bronze bushing is cheap and easy to install. The Magnum is plenty strong right out of the box, no need to mess with it. The mods listed in your original post do not improve it's strength anyways as they are aimed more at shift quality.
Thanks for the info! If it already shifts smooth without upgrades than that's good enough for me. That's the main reason why I want to switch over to the magnum.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmm, about to pull mine to re-seal the shifter. Where’s you get that bushing? I assume of the old one is plastic then removing it isn’t much of an issue

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

IllCobra

Established Member
thanks and no. Red TREMEC shifter and rxt clutch with an adjustable pivot ball. I will say it ****ing HATED royal purple trans fluid, much happier with Amsoil.

Use rtv on the shifter though for sure

Thanks for the tips.
Now that you mention it, I remember hearing people complaining about RP on the t56's too. I went Pennzoil when I changed my fluid out.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What different between the normal t56 magnum and the XL?
The Magnum and the Magnum XL are identical except the XL has an extra long tailshaft to correctly locate the shifter for S197/S550 ‘05-current cars.
A standard Magnum trans box stock is all you need for 850rwhp and under.
I used several fluids in the past but currently run D&D Performance special label fluid for the Tremec transmissions.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread