Is AWD worth it for a daily appliance?

Ablaze

Established Member
Wife and I are looking to add a 2017 Escape to the mix. We found 2, both with mostly the same options, except one is FWD and one is AWD. Both have the 2.0L. We're just outside of DC in Maryland, winters are very mild, but we will be taking a lot of road trips in it cross country when we're not taking the Shelby.

We owned a base 14 Escape without the turbo (it was meh) then fate provided us with a rental FWD 2.0L in Atlanta last year during a medical trip (we didn't request it, it was paid for by my company) and I was surprised with the get up and go! By comparison, I've never had an AWD vehicle before. We'll keep the vehicle for at least 7-10 years i.e. until the extended warranty wears out and we start having problems. I tried to talk her into a Volvo XC40 but I lost that battle, she doesn't think it's worth the $30k over the Escape.

Is it worth traveling out of state and paying the $2k extra for AWD?

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I am in the always having at least 1 vehicle with AWD. It is a weather/winter thing for where I live.

If it makes you feel better on the back end you will probably get more for the awd model if you ever were to sell before the end of the vehicle life.

velocicaur

Established Member
Yep, I think it is worth it. We live in Michigan so the winters are a bit harder but the whole family switched to AWD/4WD vehicles from FWD over the last 2-3 years. Sure, the fwd vehicles were fine and we rarely had any problems. However, awd makes it so you'll never have a problem unless the weather gets absolutely crazy. The vehicle should hold its value so while it is 2k up front, it shouldn't be much when it times to sell again.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The Escape AWD system is just about bulletproof. They really are solid with very little maintenance requirements over a standard FWD model.

I would have zero hesitation on going with the AWD model over the FWD unless gas mileage is your #1 priority.

SHOdown220

Established Member
The Escape AWD system is just about bulletproof. They really are solid with very little maintenance requirements over a standard FWD model.

I would have zero hesitation on going with the AWD model over the FWD unless gas mileage is your #1 priority.

Does the escape run the same garbage PTU as the edge and others? Its been awhile since I worked for Ford and I remember doing several ptu repairs/replacements on the edge but don't remember doing one on an escape or if they run the same unit.

OP - if the 2k isn't going to break you I would say go for it. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Especially if you are going on long road trips where the weather can't always be predicted.

My94GT

Established Member
I’m in Maryland, more the western area now where traditionally we would see more snow then you. I can count on one hand how many times I’ve had to use 4WD or AWD setting in my truck in the past year of ownership. I did just fine the past five years with my Ford Fusion as my daily. I would say based on the winters we seem to get now, AWD is a nice feature to have but not a necessity

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We're going after the AWD. Thanks guys. Sounds like a no-brainer.
Smart decision. ;)

My '19 Genesis G70 is AWD, and I love it. I don't drive the car in the winter months but like Sid said, it's better to have it and not have to use it, than to not have it and need it. I love it for stop light launches. LOL. My wife's Kona has AWD and it's great in snow (which we have not had much this year).

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Does the escape run the same garbage PTU as the edge and others? Its been awhile since I worked for Ford and I remember doing several ptu repairs/replacements on the edge but don't remember doing one on an escape or if they run the same unit.

OP - if the 2k isn't going to break you I would say go for it. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Especially if you are going on long road trips where the weather can't always be predicted.

Aren't most of the PTU issues due to Ford's claim that the fluid will last the life of the vehicle? I have a 13' Explorer Sport and everything i'm reading is to change the fluid anyway. I plan on doing ours in the next couple weeks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep! AWD is superior, and great on wet roads. Having good rubber helps, too. My wife has all-season tires and I have summer tires with a softer compound and less aggressive tread. But the AWD comes to the rescue.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I've switched on the 4WD in my Suburbans numerous times in heavy rain. Really helps with hydroplaning. Normally, I leave it in auto, but never know if it will engage quick enough.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
No. AWD is more maintenance and more potential issues too.

I have never had a wrong wheel drive car. I have driven open diffs and pick ups RWD my whole life and have zero problems going anywhere. Good tires are best option. If you live near a major city that gets snow every year, the roads are always clear, the hardest part is getting out of neighborhood. Most people don't drive when it snows now anyways.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

I have never had a wrong wheel drive car. I have driven open diffs and pick ups RWD my whole life and have zero problems going anywhere. Good tires are best option. If you live near a major city that gets snow every year, the roads are always clear, the hardest part is getting out of neighborhood. Most people don't drive when it snows now anyways.
Spoken like someone who lives in Houston.

_Snake_

Established Member

AWD is more maintenance how?

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
AWD FTW!
+106k miles on our AWD '12 Escape with 2.5L. It's been great so far.
You'll get most the extra $ spent on AWD when you go to sell in the future. Besides, it'll be way easier sell, especially where you are.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread