Is a track-prepped car PC for being pulled over?

toma nova

2001 GT, legally registered and insured with front and rear license plates. Permanent track numbers on sides, hood, and rear. No tints so you can see the race seats, roll bar, and harnesses (no stock seat belts).

I usually only drive it to the track, shop, or occasional meet. Does the appearance of my car invite attention? I only drive a few MPH over, definitely the slow side of moving traffic (saving it for the track). My concern is that I do not wear the harness or seat belt on the street. If I got a fix-it ticket, I would have a very difficult time putting stock seat belts back in.

TIA,
Tom

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, if you get in an accident in a racecar on the street, not wearing a helmet/HANS and harness; you're probably going to die.

Why would you drive it on the street?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Depending on your state, the laws will probably say something about three point belts or stock restraints.

Regardless of moral or common sense choice, you'd need to reinstall the stock belts and be able to click them closed in order to remain legal. I did this a long time ago on a caged car I had. It wasn't pretty but I could route it through the seat and click it closed if I really needed to though.

I did make sure the cage was as far away from my head as humanly possible and I mounted the seat very low, plus I always made sure to harness myself in the car tightly at all times. IIRC, there was around 8" clearance between my head and the nearest bar. Not wearing a helmet still made it a liability on the street but I was younger and dumber then.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Permanent track numbers on sides, hood, and rear. No tints so you can see the race seats, roll bar, and harnesses (no stock seat belts).

I usually only drive it to the track, shop, or occasional meet. Does the appearance of my car invite attention?

TIA,
Tom

Uh, yeah.

toma nova

I drive it to the track because I don't have a truck / trailer.

It still has airbags and a halo seat so I'll use the harness in place of seat belts.

Thanks for the replies.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
You cannot use a harness in place of seatbelts. Pretty much every state has provisions that say something along this lines of "retractable 3 point belt system with a lap and shoulder belt." That's a big paraphrase but it gets the point across.

I'm pretty certain TX law says you must use own seat belts

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
You cannot use a harness in place of seatbelts. Pretty much every state has provisions that say something along this lines of "retractable 3 point belt system with a lap and shoulder belt." That's a big paraphrase but it gets the point across.

I'm pretty certain TX law says you must use own seat belts

I think its Schroth that still makes DOT approved harnesses, but it is a specific part number and isn't a 5 or 6 point harness.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Yep. It's a 4 point harness with some retention mechanism. I think they're DOT approved but it still falls down to state laws and of course, ultimately, the officer's judgement when you're on the side of the road. I do know those harnesses are high quality and dependable.

Users who are viewing this thread