Is a SVT Contour a Good DD!!!!!!!!

BradJ

Established Member
I've driven my CSVT daily since 12k miles...it now has 135k...it's been from Seattle to San Diego and back 4 times, Seattle to Corpus Christi and back twice, Corpus Christi to Jacksonville and back twice...AND...I've had to replace every mechanical part I can think of, including the entire motor. Having said that, I flipping LOVE this car and enjoyed every moment driving it. I wouldn't trade it for anything, even considering I've paid for the car twice over in repairs...(admittedly I drive the thing like I hate/stole it)

I think it's a great daily driver. I've drove my wife's Civic a few times...don't do it man, it can't even compare to these cars. You won't have fun in a Civic ;-)

Only reason I'm moving on is it was recently rear ended...and I bought a low mileage Cobra...but, I WAS looking at other CSVT's to buy as well

Last edited:

billybats

Established Member
If i were you i'd buy it. It does have a unique look. It also gets pretty good gas milage,there are other cars that get better, but you seem like your not looking for only econmic vehicle. I own one with 78,000 miles on it and i am very satisfied. I had a few minor problems because previous owner was a bit hard on the car, but all were small fixes Its very comfortable too. If the car is perfect with under 30000 miles i wouldn't pay more than 8k from a dealer. Kelly or Nada might say otherwise but im poor and i drink cheap beer.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
My friend likes his. It's pretty much that same car as my 99-05 grand am GT, except mine is faster haha.

elraido

Established Member
I average about 20 mpg on mine these days, driving like Grandma. I don't know how folks across the country get better mileage - if I used the throttle any more sparingly I'd drive everywhere at idle. But, I know that California gas is utter crap, and owners in other states CERTAINLY get better mileage just due to that. My record on California gas is 32 mpg. I got that much only twice in 87k miles of driving it.

I'd say to get it if you can get a low mileage one.

SoCal94

Take off the upper and lower intake manifolds and clean them with a lot of carb cleaner. It can take a couple hours to really get it clean, but you just plug the holes and let it sit in there and go do something else. After 90K miles I am sure it is nice and dirty in there.

And to the other guy, I can guarante you that the CSVT and a Grand Am GT are nothing alike in handling...unless you have some extreamly extensive mods in the GT.

And just for kicks, look at number 6 on the list.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/20under20.htm

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We have 2. A 98 1/2 and a 99. They are our DDs in the winter (Cobras are our summer cars see sig) and occasionally in the summer. We bought both used and so far we've put about 40 to 50k on each, no major problems. When our SHOs got old we traded for the SVTCs. They are kind of like mini SHOs. Pretty zippy when asked to be and good mileage too. Be carefull you don't get one that's been abused. Check it out good before you plunk down your money. Just my 2cents for what it's worth.

Ray H.

slicktsax

Established Member
i love it as a DD. well it's my only car but it's great because it has enough grunt when u need to get up to speed like merging onto a highway or need to dart in a spot. most of the time i dont even downshift just leave it in 5th and merge onto the highway. i've noticed this car has made me lazy, i dont downshift as much when i want to pass someone just leave it in 5th and mash the gas.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
so did you buy one?

i was just slumming and found this thread....but ill give my 2 cents now anyways.

i bought mine with extremely low mileage from an older gent who babied it and kept it in the garage. i blew the motor very early on thanks to the lame oil issue. i tossed in a 3L and some goodies and the car is SOOO much better than before! (although it was great stock).

even as bone stock they make excellent daily drivers. they have comfy leather seats and the usual amenities (ie power, moonroof, etc). and besides just the usual drone drive to work, when you want to have fun, its FUN! you'd be hard pressed to find a car that even compares to an svt contour, for the money. i looked and looked and looked and there really was nothing. its got good hp and torque for its size. maybe a maxima would be comparable but theyre ugly and dont handle like a contour. while a civic will get you better mpg its not half the car the svt contour is. only thing is, with a honda, you can practically forget about the thing and nothing will fall apart, with the contour, you will encounter little issues but contour.org will help you get them fixed, fast and easy. if you dont mind dealing with the little issues here and there, its a fantastic car.

same can be said for an svt focus, but they cost a little more.

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
Yeah, I like mine alot. Mine's a family car too... haha!
Alittle problems here and there, but what car doesn't when it's older and has some mileage to it?

Users who are viewing this thread