Is a stroker kit with stock block a bad idea?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Hey I had a quick question for anyone that has a stroker kit or knows a lot about them.

I am planning on getting a 302 stroker in my 03 cobra along with ported heads, cams everything.

Is getting a stroker kit a bad idea for high boost aplications? I might get a teksid block to save some weight would I be better of stroking that block for engine longitivity?

A few people have said stroking the stock block is a bad idea becuase under boost it can crack due to the cylinder walls being so thin, please everyone with experience chime in.

Eventually the car will have a turbo kit and 800+ hp so I am trying to get all the stuff I need to support that in the motor right now.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Hey I had a quick question for anyone that has a stroker kit or knows a lot about them.

I am planning on getting a 302 stroker in my 03 cobra along with ported heads, cams everything.

Is getting a stroker kit a bad idea for high boost aplications? I might get a teksid block to save some weight would I be better of stroking that block for engine longitivity?

A few people have said stroking the stock block is a bad idea becuase under boost it can crack due to the cylinder walls being so thin, please everyone with experience chime in.

Eventually the car will have a turbo kit and 800+ hp so I am trying to get all the stuff I need to support that in the motor right now.

That would be a concern if you bore out the cylinders too far. If you went with a 5.1 stroker(.07 bore) then I would be a little concerned but the longer stroke with the 5.0 stroker(.02 bore) shouldn't be a problem as long as the rest of your components are designed to work together.

When I rebuild I'm going 5.0 stroker.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
That would be a concern if you bore out the cylinders too far. If you went with a 5.1 stroker(.07 bore) then I would be a little concerned but the longer stroke with the 5.0 stroker(.02 bore) shouldn't be a problem as long as the rest of your components are designed to work together.

When I rebuild I'm going 5.0 stroker.

thanks for the info! Stroker kits seem like a very controversial topic around here

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
Why bother with it and spend the money ? I don't think you would even need a stroker kit with a turbo set up to hit +800 hp.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Why bother with it and spend the money ? I don't think you would even need a stroker kit with a turbo set up to hit +800 hp.

True. But if you are rebuilding the engine a stroker kit is about $400 more. Benefit is more low and mid range power plus you will make that 800rwhp with less boost. I'm all about more power with less boost.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
^ what he said! Plus I have tried to keep my car different from most other cobras since the beggining... I have had a solid axle in it for about 3 years or more since all the irs nutswinngers said no dont go solid, now a lot of people went solid go figure. If you look at mods in my sig I am all about being different, making more power with less boost like desert cobra stated and a better powerband!!! My car beats most the ported blower cars I have raced becuase of my less weight and lts and I only made like 440 vs there 490+... While my route might be more expensive I have always had supporting mods that handle 200 to 300 more hp than i have, and I always want to take a different road from the crowd....

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
well $400 is $400 but I have been there before too and probably would spend it too :) does that include block boring labor too ? I guessed it would be more expensive. I agree with the boost thing but hell 800hp with a turbo only needs what 18 PSI or so lol

I guess it's a you can but don't really have to spend the $400 on it. With a built motor I probably wouldn't worry about the difference in 18-20 PSI but the cost is probably worth the extra low-mid range power under the curve while you wait for the turbos to spool :)

03cobrarocks

Established Member
yea I figure while im having it messed with might as well do it all right :)

I would hate to do everything and then get it put together and one day in the near future wish I would have done the stroker

GodStang

Established Member
^ what he said! Plus I have tried to keep my car different from most other cobras since the beggining... I have had a solid axle in it for about 3 years or more since all the irs nutswinngers said no dont go solid, now a lot of people went solid go figure. If you look at mods in my sig I am all about being different, making more power with less boost like desert cobra stated and a better powerband!!! My car beats most the ported blower cars I have raced becuase of my less weight and lts and I only made like 440 vs there 490+... While my route might be more expensive I have always had supporting mods that handle 200 to 300 more hp than i have, and I always want to take a different road from the crowd....

Your current setup is actually very very common and as far as solid axle very soon I think I will be the only one in this area with an IRS still installed on the 03-04 Cobra. If you really want to be different what you need to do is get the 5.0 Mod block and then stroke that then you will be getting near the 5.4L block but with the smaller lighter block. Just an idea. Some people on here hate strokers and will bash them all over the place. I have had mine for almost 5 years and love it.

There was a time when stroker was the only thing anyone got. VT was turning out 302s left and right and people had great luck with them.

Good luck and keep us updated.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
well $400 is $400 but I have been there before too and probably would spend it too :) does that include block boring labor too ? I guessed it would be more expensive. I agree with the boost thing but hell 800hp with a turbo only needs what 18 PSI or so lol

I guess it's a you can but don't really have to spend the $400 on it. With a built motor I probably wouldn't worry about the difference in 18-20 PSI but the cost is probably worth the extra low-mid range power under the curve while you wait for the turbos to spool :)

You have to figure, $400 to gain 50-60rwhp or more. The gain is exponential when you start to really shoot for the big numbers, 600+rwhp. Its $400 well spent IMO. As for the the machining of the block, chances are you will spend that money if you go stroker or not. Who wouldnt get their block touched up during a rebuild?

exdeath

Established Member
Problem with stroking the 4.6 is related to the pistons exiting the bore too far at the bottom. Better off with a 5.4 block if you want a stroker.

Or go with the Ford 5.0 big bore 4.6 based block that will do more for you unshrouding the valves.

It's generally accepted that stroking AND boring the 4.6 (eg: 324 ci) is not recommended for a street car or daily driver.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Problem with stroking the 4.6 is related to the pistons exiting the bore too far at the bottom. Better off with a 5.4 block if you want a stroker.

Or go with the Ford 5.0 big bore 4.6 based block that will do more for you unshrouding the valves.

It's generally accepted that stroking AND boring the 4.6 (eg: 324 ci) is not recommended for a street car or daily driver.

The reason I would do a stroker or 5.0 mod block is that it is lighter than a 5.4L and you do not have to do all the customztion to shoe horn it in.

Well ok you probably wouldnt if the block is BRAND NEW, but if you are using your existing block then....

I agree 100% I was just busting your balls.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Problem with stroking the 4.6 is related to the pistons exiting the bore too far at the bottom. Better off with a 5.4 block if you want a stroker

Well mine is just going to be stroked to a 302 and maybe bored a tad becuase using existing block... that wouldnt make it bigger than a 306 would it?

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Your current setup is actually very very common and as far as solid axle very soon I think I will be the only one in this area with an IRS still installed on the 03-04 Cobra.
Good luck and keep us updated.

I suppose now it is :(... But like 3 or 4 years ago when I got it and did a little weight reduction it was a little less common because most people where just focusing on power

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I know a guy w a 93 cobra and has a tt 5.4 auto. Recently he went a 8.8 at 160+ at 18# boost. So imo c.i. have a lot to do with it. Yes he has custom cams and headwork but it is a street car not some stripped drag car. ninesecsnake that's him. He runs e98 w 12 injectors, aem stuff. Then another guy in town has the old jr lewis car w a stroker and now a cent s/c.

Users who are viewing this thread