Is a Cobra reliable at 170,000 miles?

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
is it from a dealer? if so, he gave about 5 grand on trade in, then he is turning around to sell it for 8

Cuatrocam

Established Member
thanks for the responces everyone. I will def. try to negotiate with the dealer to see if I can get the price down. I guess i'm a little anxious getting a cobra since I've never owned one.:) (reason why I need input from outside sources) lol. it can get kinda frustrating though. Almost every mustang I look at has 115K miles or more.:(

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Yea I sold my immaculate mystic with 89k miles on it plus mods for 10k

And it really was immaculate and very tastefully modded with a fully build drivetrain

So for the price you can find better

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Besides the 170K on the engine there is 170K on everything else: transmission (T45 ??), clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, struts, bushings, wheel bearings, engine/transmission mounts, window regulators, door hinges, etc. This stuff doesn't last forever. Without maintainence records you can expect to be replacing these kinds of things in the near future. Get a lower price and bank the difference toward repair costs.

bvysochin

Established Member
+1..

This is what we did with the last 2 cars we bought.. Besides, you can tell how the car was driven as soon as you get in.. The last car we picked up felt like it had never been shifted and felt smooth and notchy.. @ 145k on the stock t45!! Original adult owner is the reason.. The car we bought previous to that wanted to pop outa 3rd and 1st and 2nd felt really worn out.. you should have seen what the motor mounts looked like that came outa it.. they had almost 160k and were like in 5 pieces each.

If you can get it low enough, do it as there is no point in getting a low mileage car on which you which would replace all the same stuff anyways to make it go faster. I have never understood why people do this. No point in buying a car with new components to replace them with new components.. Makes more sense, to me atleast, to buy a car with old stuff for 1/2 the price and replace it with new components..

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
I'd stay away. Even with a strong motor, you'll prob end up with electronics head-aches. For those mile, the price high. Keep looking for a better deal.:burnout:

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
My car has about 175k on it and it runs and looks brand new...sans tune needed due to putting all of the mods in my sig.:thumbsup:

Seriously though, the car doesn't smoke and feels like a beast...with the blower disconnected; with the blower connnected :dw: . I've taken exceptional care of the vehicle and it has taken care of me well. I NEVER beat up on the car for the exception of a few run-ins with cars on the road that think:

1. 5.0 Cobra stock has 240fwhp
2. A-pillar gauges must be oil & water
3. "supercharger" sticker above SVT badge is just for show

......they get OWN3D! :D

Everyone's right with the wear & tear on the vehicle. You're gonna need to start replacing stuff on it...no matter how clean the car is. Be prepared to drop some money into it one way or another.

Last edited:

Cuatrocam

Established Member
JasonSnake said:
you might as well buy a 95 GT instead.....15 less HP....$5000 less......
that's true. what is diff. from the gt and cobra in a 95? I know the intakes are diff. and cam is also. is that it?

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Cuatrocam said:
that's true. what is diff. from the gt and cobra in a 95? I know the intakes are diff. and cam is also. is that it?

I was thinking of a long write-up on this question, but thought "What the heck, lemme just give him the link." So here it is http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=665335

Lots of good info to start reading up on.

Last edited:

Cuatrocam

Established Member
raven69david said:
I was thinking of a long write-up on this question, but thought "What the heck, lemme just give him the link." So here it is http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=665335

Lots of good info to start reading up on.
Thanks!:rockon:

I just looked at a '99 Cobra yesterday. But the way my luck has been it turns out the Cobra is getting an engine replacement becuase it went bad at the dealership. To many joy rides I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread