Is a Cobra reliable at 170,000 miles?

Cuatrocam

Established Member
I am looking into this beautiful Mystic Cobra (96) for sale at $8,000. the only problem is that it has 170k miles. at first I thought it was a typo. but shure enough it's 170k miles. everything seems to be fine. took if for a test drive and everything. and nothing seamed out of place. The dealer doesn't know if it was rebuilt or not. so I'm at a dilema here. can you guys give me your input, please!

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
If it's stock and has been taken care of and not had the piss ran out of it, I don't see why it wouldn't run just fine.

love bandit2

Established Member
8 grand??? that thing better be in DAMN good shape! You could probably find one with a quarter of those miles for 10 grand.

Red Devil

Village Idiot
Established Member
That's a lot of damn miles. I'd offer them 4500 and put the 3500 into a rebuild fund. 170k and no matter how well it was maintained, stuffs gonna start wearin out.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
^^^^^^ Yep, Even if the motor and mechanical stuff is in great shape all the electronic componets may start failing.
Its a crap shoot but for the right price take it. 8K is too much.

Then again, my brothers 86GT he bought new in 86 is over 200,000 and all that's been changed is 1 water pump, heater core, alternator and radiator.
Its now his DD since he bougt a 06.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
My 96' has 130,000 miles most of which it has had the piss driven out of it and it still runs great... I do agree that it's a crap shoot though.

tparrott2

Established Member
just sold a 97 convert 50k miles excellent condition for 11,000.00...bought my 99 for 15500.00 w/ 11k miles...glazed eyes could cost you later...

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Ooh, I forgot to mention that I got my 96' vert when it had 111,000 miles and I payed $5,500 for it with %99 of the mods in my sig already on it.
I got it from a friend that I let live in my apartment for 8 or so months when he got kicked out of his house, BUT I ran nto a guy at Atco a while back that payed $6,000 for a mystic that had 110,000 miles or so from someone he didn't know. There are certainly deals to be had on these cars you just have to look for them :)

Good luck!

JasonSnake

Established Member
Yeah I wouldn't buy it at all, even at $4000 because I wouldn't have the time to fix this and that.

bvysochin

Established Member
Yeah, price is a little high.. We picked up our 96 mystic in original condition from the original owner 3 years ago with 81k for $7000.. But that was a HOT deal.. We did pick up a white 97 with 156000 for $5k and sure enough one, rings were bad on one cylinder.. We picked up a 96 with 145k a week ago, and we haven't even diagnosed it yet, but sure enough I think it's worn out also.. Don't know how reliable these cars since I haven't pushed one past 100k myself, but following this trend, I don't think it looks good at all for 170k if it hasn't had a rebuild. Work em down to like 6.5k out the door.. or walk away from it.. There's people selling CLEAN ones for 10k with 50k miles on them.. I have seen a few lately.

Good luck! They are fun cars!

50 Proof

Established Member
Cuatrocam said:
I am looking into this beautiful Mystic Cobra (96) for sale at $8,000. the only problem is that it has 170k miles. at first I thought it was a typo. but shure enough it's 170k miles. everything seems to be fine. took if for a test drive and everything. and nothing seamed out of place. The dealer doesn't know if it was rebuilt or not. so I'm at a dilema here. can you guys give me your input, please!

Some people experience oil consumption with the 4v engines. You don't know how meticulously, the car was maintained. So, if this one consumes oil, you have no way of knowing whether the last owner added oil every time he needed it, or not.

If it were a pushrod 5.0, I'd say you have at least another 50-75k to go before you'll even need to consider rebuilding the engine.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
Thats a whole lotta miles. I bought my 96 a few months ago for 8 grand with 90,xxx miles on it. Granted its not a mystic, but you are for sure gonna have to do some work on that thing in the near future. Personally i would let that one go. I have had my fair share of bad deals and unless you are up to the task of working on it and can get it really cheap, let it go. JMO

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Ciotti said:
My 96' has 130,000 miles most of which it has had the piss driven out of it and it still runs great... I do agree that it's a crap shoot though.
Damn where do you drive:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread