• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Is a Cobra reliable at 170,000 miles?

Discussion in 'SN95 Cobras' started by Cuatrocam, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Cuatrocam

Cuatrocam New Member Established Member

I am looking into this beautiful Mystic Cobra (96) for sale at $8,000. the only problem is that it has 170k miles. at first I thought it was a typo. but shure enough it's 170k miles. everything seems to be fine. took if for a test drive and everything. and nothing seamed out of place. The dealer doesn't know if it was rebuilt or not. so I'm at a dilema here. can you guys give me your input, please!

2. RippinSVT

RippinSVT SVT Afficianado... Established Member

If it's stock and has been taken care of and not had the piss ran out of it, I don't see why it wouldn't run just fine.

3. blkstangman88

blkstangman88 New Member Established Member

as long as its been maintained well i believe almost any car will last along time.

4. love bandit2

love bandit2 New Member Established Member

8 grand??? that thing better be in DAMN good shape! You could probably find one with a quarter of those miles for 10 grand.

5. SNAKEYE

SNAKEYE Active Member Established Member

Without maintenence records, 170K is over the hill.
    Go on www.kbb.com (Kelly Blue Book) and do a couple of condition/mileage comparisons. Mileage is a killer.

6. Red Devil

Red Devil Village Idiot Established Member

That's a lot of damn miles. I'd offer them 4500 and put the 3500 into a rebuild fund. 170k and no matter how well it was maintained, stuffs gonna start wearin out.

7. STAMPEDE3

STAMPEDE3 SAULS BROTHER Staff Member Super Moderator

^^^^^^ Yep, Even if the motor and mechanical stuff is in great shape all the electronic componets may start failing.
    Its a crap shoot but for the right price take it. 8K is too much.

Then again, my brothers 86GT he bought new in 86 is over 200,000 and all that's been changed is 1 water pump, heater core, alternator and radiator.
    Its now his DD since he bougt a 06.

8. Ciotti

Ciotti See-ahh-tee Established Member

My 96' has 130,000 miles most of which it has had the piss driven out of it and it still runs great... I do agree that it's a crap shoot though.

9. Allanon

Allanon SVT Druid Established Member

8k is way too much IMO, I paid $7725 for my 96, and its only got 75,000 miles.

10. tparrott2

tparrott2 New Member Established Member

just sold a 97 convert 50k miles excellent condition for 11,000.00...bought my 99 for 15500.00 w/ 11k miles...glazed eyes could cost you later...

11. Ciotti

Ciotti See-ahh-tee Established Member

Ooh, I forgot to mention that I got my 96' vert when it had 111,000 miles and I payed $5,500 for it with %99 of the mods in my sig already on it.
    I got it from a friend that I let live in my apartment for 8 or so months when he got kicked out of his house, BUT I ran nto a guy at Atco a while back that payed $6,000 for a mystic that had 110,000 miles or so from someone he didn't know. There are certainly deals to be had on these cars you just have to look for them :)

Good luck!

12. JasonSnake

JasonSnake Active Member Established Member

Yeah I wouldn't buy it at all, even at $4000 because I wouldn't have the time to fix this and that.

13. bvysochin

bvysochin New Member Established Member

Yeah, price is a little high.. We picked up our 96 mystic in original condition from the original owner 3 years ago with 81k for $7000.. But that was a HOT deal.. We did pick up a white 97 with 156000 for $5k and sure enough one, rings were bad on one cylinder.. We picked up a 96 with 145k a week ago, and we haven't even diagnosed it yet, but sure enough I think it's worn out also.. Don't know how reliable these cars since I haven't pushed one past 100k myself, but following this trend, I don't think it looks good at all for 170k if it hasn't had a rebuild. Work em down to like 6.5k out the door.. or walk away from it.. There's people selling CLEAN ones for 10k with 50k miles on them.. I have seen a few lately.

Good luck! They are fun cars!

14. 97riocobra2

97riocobra2 Member Established Member

I would keep looking. 8 grand is way too much for 170000 miles. Be patient and keep looking

15. 50 Proof

50 Proof New Member Established Member

Some people experience oil consumption with the 4v engines. You don't know how meticulously, the car was maintained. So, if this one consumes oil, you have no way of knowing whether the last owner added oil every time he needed it, or not.

If it were a pushrod 5.0, I'd say you have at least another 50-75k to go before you'll even need to consider rebuilding the engine.

16. albino96

albino96 White is the fastst color Established Member

Thats a whole lotta miles. I bought my 96 a few months ago for 8 grand with 90,xxx miles on it. Granted its not a mystic, but you are for sure gonna have to do some work on that thing in the near future. Personally i would let that one go. I have had my fair share of bad deals and unless you are up to the task of working on it and can get it really cheap, let it go. JMO

17. Juiced4V

Juiced4V why-try Established Member

dam thats allot of miles...my 97 only has 67k

18. slosnake

slosnake Member Established Member

My 97 had 230k on the clock, brfore the oil pump took a dump!!

19. Chrome98Cobra

Chrome98Cobra Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Damn where do you drive:eek:

20. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79 A Van Down by the River. Established Member

If you could weasel a few grand off the asking price and the body is clean & solid...go for it.