Is a 97 cobra good to buy??

disneyfun1

Established Member
I found a 97 Cobra on a lot for 15,981. Black/Black 49000 miles. Is this a good price and car?? Should i stay away from it or what should i look for??

blue02svt

Established Member
I OWN A BLK ON BLK 97 COBRA .. I LOVE IT . ITS FAR FROM STOCK NOW BUT THE MOTOR WENT SOUTH ON ME EARLY.
FIND OUT WHAT MODS AND HAVE THE MOTOR CHECKED OUT REAL WELL. RUN A CARFAX ON IT..

DAN MCGRAW

I HAVE A 97 COBRA AND I BOUGHT IT TWO YEARS AGO FOR 18,000.OO WITH 19,000.00.MILES MAKE SURE YOU CHECK CAR FAX. THE CAR RUNS VERY STRONG,GREAT CAR.

disneyfun1

Established Member
The car seems completely stock. Looks like no mods to the motor at all. I did a carfax already and it only seems to show 1 owner and thats it for entries on it, just registration and title issued. I just wonder if buying a 97 cobra with 49000 miles on it is safe, or should i buy an 03 gt with zero miles on it?? Does the 03 GT come close to the 97 cobra??Are the suspension and refinements made in 03 far better than the 97??

DAN MCGRAW

I LOVE THE COBRA. I COULD NEVER GET A GT AFTER THIS CAR. AS THE MILES GO USE THAT AS AN ADVANTAGE. TRY TO GET IT OUT THE DOOR FOR 15,000.00. COBRAS ARE HARD TO FIND ANY CHEEPER . GOOD LUCK.

SVTMUST97

Established Member
I have a 97 Cobra Rio-Red and I love it. Had it dyno 305.4 hp & 298.1 tq and at the track 13.1 at 106 mpr. Some of the stuff on the carfax it not true. Bring someone that knows more about the car inside and out. My wife truck said it was never hit but it was. Eric 97

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Sounds like it's a decent price but like SVTMUST97 said not everything could be on there. Carfax only has what has been reported to the insurance companies.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
I would run KBB or edmunds on it too, that seems a little high for a 6yr old car, that started out in the 25's. I remmeber when I was looking there were huge discrepancies on price-between dealer/third party and a lot of factors like mileage/location that affect price. 6months ago I saw prices of 96's from 10-16 grande, 97's from 12-17 and 98's usually in the 14-19 range. Just a thought. As for the mileage- 49,000 is technically about half dead. At 60K youve got a big bill, tranny,radiator, flush maybe brakes, clutch etc. It stops becoming cost effective at around 100K. My vote would be for the newer 03 Gt, yea ya pay more but ya got a warranty, and when that runs out maybe youll wanna upgrade. If ya want a Cobra look for a newer year, 99,or 01 (with the warranty) or even a sn95 with lower miles. Do the research and have patience.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by E. Green Cobra
I would run KBB or edmunds on it too, that seems a little high for a 6yr old car, that started out in the 25's. I remmeber when I was looking there were huge discrepancies on price-between dealer/third party and a lot of factors like mileage/location that affect price. 6months ago I saw prices of 96's from 10-16 grande, 97's from 12-17 and 98's usually in the 14-19 range. Just a thought. As for the mileage- 49,000 is technically about half dead. At 60K youve got a big bill, tranny,radiator, flush maybe brakes, clutch etc. It stops becoming cost effective at around 100K. My vote would be for the newer 03 Gt, yea ya pay more but ya got a warranty, and when that runs out maybe youll wanna upgrade. If ya want a Cobra look for a newer year, 99,or 01 (with the warranty) or even a sn95 with lower miles. Do the research and have patience.

In my area KBB lists the car at $16,725 retail and $13,750 for private party. So I think it's in a good medium for pricing depending on the condition of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread