is 300 rwhp attainable with this combo?

4vTRMach1

Established Member
Hello,

New member here. I have a few projects right now. One of which is nearing it's end. I have a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII that I am hoping to reach 300 rwhp or better with. New engine Is still getting tweaked to run properly, rebuild was just completed. Mod/ build list is as follows:

Engine:
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII longblock
Block bored .020 over
Heads resurfaced w/ 3 Angle valve job
Factory style .020 pistons with 3cc dish
Factory powdered metal rods
Factory cast 6 Bolt crank
Mild casting flash removal on intake ports, valve bowl area ported, exhaust ports have some mild cleanup as well
Ford FR500 supercar followers
96-98 Cobra Intake Manifold (Upper divider removed for single blade TB, Lower intake is ported too)
MMR IMRC Deletes
96-98 cobra intake cams (un-degreed)
JLT 96-98 Cobra CAI
Accufab elipse single blade TB
Kooks 3/4 Length Mark VIII headers

Car is running a 4.10 gear & had a T lock unit installed from a mustang GT

Transmission:
Stock 4r70W
(have 3400 stall, trans cooler, and j mod waiting to go in after engine is tuned and running properly)

Obviously the only way to tell what it will make is to put it on a dyno. Based on your guys experience, what should this combo make to the rear wheels? Thanks in advance for your input.

CV355

_
Established Member
You won't make 300rwhp through a 4r70w w/ a '96 4v without increasing compression ratio and/or having a fairly aggressive cam. You're probably in the 220-230rwhp range through the 4r70w.

Just for reference, my old 4.6l 2v with a Kenne Bell 2.1 @ 9psi made 330rwhp through a 4R70W. It ran mid 11's, so don't let the dyno numbers make things look bleak. Autos suck on the dyno.

4vTRMach1

Established Member
A bone stock Gen 2 Mark viii like this makes around 220 Rwhp bone stock with the factory non cobra intake manifold, stock exhaust, stock everything the way it left Ford. I don't see how with everything I have done to this car it would be at stock power levels. Your 100% spot on about the dyno numbers though, I have seen plenty of 300 RWHP SN95s able to run low 12s with the right suspension setup, good tire/ traction, gear, and a good driver.

gt347mustang

Established Member
A bone stock Gen 2 Mark viii like this makes around 220 Rwhp bone stock with the factory non cobra intake manifold, stock exhaust, stock everything the way it left Ford. I don't see how with everything I have done to this car it would be at stock power levels. Your 100% spot on about the dyno numbers though, I have seen plenty of 300 RWHP SN95s able to run low 12s with the right suspension setup, good tire/ traction, gear, and a good driver.

You didn't do anything to add significant power though.

300 isn't happening.

4vTRMach1

Established Member
The 96-98 cobra intake is dyno proven to add about 20 rwhp on a 97-98 mark 8 alone with their restrictive intake manifold they have from ford (mine is also ported upper w/ divider removed & lower is ported). I added the 96-98 cobra cams ( they have 20 degrees more duration than the stock mark 8 cams) Kooks headers, full 2.5" exhaust, offroad x pipe, ported the heads, IMRC deletes, FR500 followers, JLT ram air intake, and a Accufab elipse single blade throttle body. All of those add power. 300 might be questionable, but it is obviously going to make more RWHP than a stock 96-98 cobra and those dyno in the 250-260 rwhp range straight from ford.

4vTRMach1

Established Member
I have seen cars similar to mine making 270 rwhp without the FR500 followers, clean up on the heads, IMRC deletes, 96-98 cobra intake cams, JLT intake, or Accufab. And those numbers were from a 97-98 mark 8 running the 4r70W auto. I'm not disagreeing with anyone, I have never had my car dyno'd. I would just like to know why my car wont make the same power at the wheels other cars have made running a similar combo to mine with less bolt ons than I have on an engine with over 100K on them?

01blckcobra

Established Member
you really haven't done any extensive mods to gain much horsepower... maybe 10-15hp. Mods would been more beneficial on a FI car. Take it to the track and find real numbers / improvements. Dynos not worth much IMO. Even a "dyno tune" still need to do a few pulls at the track to really fine tune it.

4vTRMach1

Established Member
So Kooks long tubes, Ported 96-98 cobra intake, 96-98 cobra intake cams, ported heads, FR500 rockers, IMRC deletes, Full 2.5" exhaust w/ O/R X pipe, JLT intake, and Accufab TB is worth 10-15 rwhp in your opinion? Did I read that correctly? Ill take it to the track and get dyno numbers once I work out a few more bugs on the car and get a tune. I just got it running like last week.

gt347mustang

Established Member
So Kooks long tubes, Ported 96-98 cobra intake, 96-98 cobra intake cams, ported heads, FR500 rockers, IMRC deletes, Full 2.5" exhaust w/ O/R X pipe, JLT intake, and Accufab TB is worth 10-15 rwhp in your opinion?

You should have done research and added a blower to double the power rather than add 20HP.

4vTRMach1

Established Member
Also, you don't really think followers add power, do you?
These do, they have less friction than the stock 4V followers. Look up FR500 followers. They are also 5 grams per follower lighter than stock ones. You don't really think Kooks headers, full exhaust w/ an offroad X pipe, no cats, JLT intake, Accufab TB, IMRC deletes, 96-98 cams w/ 20 degrees more duration than stock mark 8 cams, ported heads, and a ported intake adds no power do you?

4vTRMach1

Established Member
You should have done research and added a blower to double the power rather than add 20HP.
I did do research. A vortech V-3 self contained unit is what I wanted to run, but with the cost of the V-3 kit, injectors, BAP or upgraded fuel pump, and a decent rotating assembly to actually handle over the stock max 450 rwhp it wasn't cost effective to me at all. Still not seeing how I added only "20 HP" with these mods, even if we are talking rwhp. I'm not new to 4Vs. I have a 03 Mach 1, among other cars, just thought Id ask people on SVT performance what they thought this combo would make because this site is a great resource for modular powered cars and figured someone on here would have some real insight.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Well I certainly didn't come here for any attitude from you, just opinions on what people thought my car would make. I thought I made that pretty clear from my post....

just thought Id ask people on SVT performance what they thought this combo would make because this site is a great resource for modular powered cars and figured someone on here would have some real insight.

You don't seem to like the answer we are giving you though.

4vTRMach1

Established Member
I'm 100000000000% fine with the car making even 240 rwhp if that is what it is supposed to make with these mods, but it isn't. My only point is that I have seen much more RWHP than 220-230 with the same combo in the same car as mine. Id be shocked if it made less than 255 rwhp tbh. But I am a big enough person to admit when I'm wrong. So ill get the car dyno'd once I have it on the road again in the near future, and whatever it makes I will post the results directly to this thread. And if I'm wrong you can all tell me I told you so. Fair enough?

01blckcobra

Established Member
Even though you did all those mods, you engine can only pull in so much air by itself regardless... Adding more duration cam actually probably hurt the horsepower more than anything. Loosing dynamic compression and you stayed with stock compression. "Why you don't really add big duration cams to stock motors. static maybe 9:1 but now you changed cams and your dynamic compression dropped to 8:1 or 7.5 :1 ( example) " = loosing horsepower on N/a motor / unless you have supporting mods / bump in compression ect.... everything needs to work together, not just slap parts on because people said they add XXX amount of horsepower cause of this part... Not like you're reving that motor out to 7-8k rpms. Just my opinion and every motor is different also, I've tried numerous cams on "stock compression" n/a motors, never really any gain unless you've bumped the compression and bunch of other stuff. and or you lose your low to mid torque curve.

Last edited:

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I did do research. A vortech V-3 self contained unit is what I wanted to run, but with the cost of the V-3 kit, injectors, BAP or upgraded fuel pump, and a decent rotating assembly to actually handle over the stock max 450 rwhp it wasn't cost effective to me at all. Still not seeing how I added only "20 HP" with these mods, even if we are talking rwhp. I'm not new to 4Vs. I have a 03 Mach 1, among other cars, just thought Id ask people on SVT performance what they thought this combo would make because this site is a great resource for modular powered cars and figured someone on here would have some real insight.

How much did you spend on this motor rebuild/refresh? A lightly used complete intercooled Vortech kit can be had for $2500-$3000. I'm running 460rwhp on 93 on my stock auto Mach with a used Vortech and used Procharger intercooler, and 509rwhp on E85 with very low timing.

Users who are viewing this thread