IRS subframe bushing “delete”

tdz16

Hey all,

I’m putting a 99 Cobra IRS in my 69 Cougar and the way I’d like to run my frame rails is maybe 1/4” too tight to the rear subframe bushing sleeves. Actually, the “lip” of the bushing is what’s in the way mostly.

So, since some of the people that have done what I’m doing have cut the mounts off and made brackets to mount directly to the frame, I’m wondering if I could remove the rubber bushings then weld 0.120 thick steel “washers” to the ends of the bushing tubes and sleeve that with a crush tube ID being the same as the factory bolt. My only concern is only having two load points at the end washers instead of dispersing through the whole rubber bushing (granted they’re not two single shear points on the bolt due to the sleeve, but that load ends up back at the two washers).

My other idea was to ask if there is any issue with reversing the bushing so the lip is on the outside (no clearance issues) instead of the inside.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Tom

shurur

Established Member
I would Contact Bruce at full tilt boogie racing
FULL TILT BOOGIE RACING

Also post up in our autocross or racing forums.

Maybe cornercarvers...but you better know your stuff before daring to comment.
I only read cc forums..I do not post.

Most folks are not going to answer this because it is beyond us and involves fab...and possibly some potential liabilty issues...

FIREBALL

Established Member
The bushings have a slight stair step taper and only fit one way. It probably would be better to modify the irs subframe and not the car sub frame. The sub frame may need reinforcement and adding sub frame connectors would be good. You need to find someone who has done this or some custom auto modification/fabrication expert. What other model Fords share this Cougars platform (if any)? If there are, then maybe this mod has been done on some other model that you could research on.

Last edited:

Dave.O

Established Member
There have many people who have modified 60-70s mustangs to receive sn95 sra. Research what they did for front pick up points on lower control arm. It should be the same for irs front lower pick up

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread