IRS pumpkin fill plug?

Rambro

Established Member
Planning on pumping out the old and pumping in some fresh oil. Where is the plug located?

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I believe it’s in the driver side on the diff housing above the webbing/casting. Feel around for a 3/8’s square plug and it’s there. Pretty easy to see once you’re under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rambro

Established Member
If you get under there, it's pretty obvious.
Ok well I've been underneath the car and I can't see any kind of plug and I can't hardly get my hands in there to feel around. Is it at the top? Does the exhaust need to come off?

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The fill and drain are on the cover. The drain is the lower one. Unless you have a 3/8" drive socket and a good wobble, then you'll need to pull the passenger exhaust.

It is tight as hell.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I forgot that the factory cover just has a single fill plug. 3/8" square plug. It is located near the passenger side mid level.

The Ford racing cover that I have now has allen drain and fill plugs.

irsout.jpg

Rambro

Established Member
Right on sir. Also, I bought mobil1 75-140 with friction modifier included. Will I need to add any FM with this stuff or should i use a non synthetic without FM. I read on here some time ago I think it was Tractionless said that the friction modifier soaks into the clutches and you dont need to add any on an oil change?

MG0h3

Established Member
I've always added the Ford friction modifier when doing a simple oil change like you are.

When rebuilding/replacing the clutch pack you do soak them in the modifier and then add a full bottle with the oil.

So ya, I'd add the friction modifier.

Never used the oil that claims to have it included so I can't comment on that.

Rambro

Established Member
Thanks for the info gents. My stock IRS with billetflow brace has been pretty trouble free for the most part so Im not very familiar with it. Don't know why I was thinking it was on the case.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Right on sir. Also, I bought mobil1 75-140 with friction modifier included. Will I need to add any FM with this stuff or should i use a non synthetic without FM. I read on here some time ago I think it was Tractionless said that the friction modifier soaks into the clutches and you dont need to add any on an oil change?

Add the ford fiction modifier. Most of the oils that claim to have friction modifiers in it normally dont have the proper amount needed.

IllCobra

Established Member
Planning on pumping out the old and pumping in some fresh oil. Where is the plug located?
Rambro, mind if i bum off your thread? I was actually about to post something similar to what you're asking.

I was planning on using Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 synthetic with 4 oz. of Ford Fluid XL-3 Friction Modifier for a total of 1.5 quarts in the rear diff after it's all said and done. Has anyone gone this route when switching their fluid?

I am also going to use a pump that hooks up a compressor to get the old stuff out rather than unbolting the cover and having to RTV a new gasket - I'll save that for when I upgrade to a Ford Racing Performance Differential Cover. Will the pump method work well to get most of the old fluid out?

MG0h3

Established Member
Rambro, mind if i bum off your thread? I was actually about to post something similar to what you're asking.

I was planning on using Motorcraft SAE 75W-140 synthetic with 4 oz. of Ford Fluid XL-3 Friction Modifier for a total of 1.5 quarts in the rear diff after it's all said and done. Has anyone gone this route when switching their fluid?

I am also going to use a pump that hooks up a compressor to get the old stuff out rather than unbolting the cover and having to RTV a new gasket - I'll save that for when I upgrade to a Ford Racing Performance Differential Cover. Will the pump method work well to get most of the old fluid out?

Think someone above said that there is a drain plug; I can't remember. Replaced my cover with the Ford Racing one a few years ago and it was right after I bought the car.

You could try pumping it out, just not sure how effective it will be.

IllCobra

Established Member
Think someone above said that there is a drain plug; I can't remember. Replaced my cover with the Ford Racing one a few years ago and it was right after I bought the car.

You could try pumping it out, just not sure how effective it will be.
Yeah, but the plug isnt at the bottom there's bound to be some left over. I'll try pumping what's left and hopefully it'll get everything.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yeah, but the plug isnt at the bottom there's bound to be some left over. I'll try pumping what's left and hopefully it'll get everything.
Either way you'll be good. You'll get a lot out and refill with fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread