IRS has me in investigation?!?!

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
so last sept my wife and I purchased our first home and of course we filled an amendment to get the 8k tax thingy. well we sent it off a week after our neighbors did and they got theirs back about a month ago. so I decided to call last month. Lets just say thats a mess all by itself.

they have an 800 number but its all automated and you cant get a real person on the line. I finally find a different number but you have to figure out the right combination of prompts to do to get a person. dont even push the number to check the "status" of your return or it fowards you back to the origional number which is only good for your origional tax return not the amendment.:bash:

so anyways I get a lady on the line and she says they received my paperwork oct 6th and it was being reviewed and I should see it no later then jan 6th. well I decided to call yesterday and of course have to figure out the right combination again. I get a guy real fast this time and I say I need to check the status of my amendment so he fowards me. another guy answers and he said "why did they foward you to me, I just do forms, not check status" so I get forwarded again. I get the recording, "your wait time is expected to be over 15 minutes" 36 minutes later I finally get a person for him to only say my claim is at investigations. Huh? :eek: seems there has been a ton of fraud so they are sending more people to investigation. so add another 2-4 weeks on.

he asked if I had received any paperwork from the irs, I said no. he said well there shouldnt be any issue then and you should see it in 2-4 weeks. but last nite I was thinking that my county tax office sent me a letter with all kinds of questions in it that I felt looked shady since they should know all those answers already, so I shredded it. so how bad did I "F" up? will they just set there and wait for that letter to come back to them or send another one? just getting sick of waiting on this money to come in.:fm:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I've been down a similar road with the IRS. Just keep plugging along and don't worry too much about it.

Remember, it's a government operation and therefore bloated, inefficient and full of incompetent, dumb people who really couldn't care less.

If they end up starting to screw you, just hire a tax accountant or tax attorney to deal with them since it's not worth the headache. This is what I did the last time, when I got a threatening notice which claimed I owed some ungodly amount of money to the IRS. In the end it turned out they owed ME money.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
well I'm not worried about them saying I owe money I am just worried that since I threw away that suspicious form that will be the hold up and they will set on my return forever. just kills me that they make this way harder then it should be. if I call and its in investigations why not just foward me there and I can answer any questions they have? just a huge pain in the butt.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Thats sucks. There is soooo much red tape and buracracy that prevents the process from being speedy, trust me I used to work for the state of Arizona as a budget analyst. The processes is ridiculously slow when you are dealing with money, especially when the government is paying you or funding projects. However, if YOU owe the government money then its a very quick process as the government wants theirs NOW!

ssssnake

Established Member
I've worked for an accounting firm for 20 years. Although I'm not an accountant, I do know that the IRS makes a lot of mistakes. When our clients get letters from the IRS, at least half of them are incorrect, and we have to straighten them out. They haven't sent you a letter saying you are being audited, so I really wouldn't worry. If and when they do, get a CPA to look at it.

They have a website that is easier than dealing with them on the phone. Internal Revenue Service You can check on your refund right there.

My son's refund was less than he expected. They sent him a letter with a number, he called, gave them the correct SSN for a child, and they said he should get the refund in a few weeks. It didn't come. He called back, they told him it would be there in a few weeks again, but it still didn't come. Third call to the IRS finally netted the refund. Dealling with the IRS is always an experience. I know you want your refund now, but you're dealing with a government entity. I'd just wait. People who make under $200,000 have a 1% chance of being audited.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
I've worked for an accounting firm for 20 years. Although I'm not an accountant, I do know that the IRS makes a lot of mistakes. When our clients get letters from the IRS, at least half of them are incorrect, and we have to straighten them out. They haven't sent you a letter saying you are being audited, so I really wouldn't worry. If and when they do, get a CPA to look at it.

They have a website that is easier than dealing with them on the phone. Internal Revenue Service You can check on your refund right there.

My son's refund was less than he expected. They sent him a letter with a number, he called, gave them the correct SSN for a child, and they said he should get the refund in a few weeks. It didn't come. He called back, they told him it would be there in a few weeks again, but it still didn't come. Third call to the IRS finally netted the refund. Dealling with the IRS is always an experience. I know you want your refund now, but you're dealing with a government entity. I'd just wait. People who make under $200,000 have a 1% chance of being audited.

that link will only give you a status on your regular tax refund. if you did an amendment like I did since I qualifed for the 8k home tax credit it gives you no info or link for it.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
at this point its your fault it's taking this long, sholdn't have disposed of it.

thats what I am thinking. the form just had some suspicious questions on it. things they already knew from the purchase of the house so I figured it was a scam trying to get personal information out of me. and the fact that it was not from the irs but the local tax office threw me off.:shrug:

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
I've been down a similar road with the IRS. Just keep plugging along and don't worry too much about it.

Remember, it's a government operation and therefore bloated, inefficient and full of incompetent, dumb people who really couldn't care less.

If they end up starting to screw you, just hire a tax accountant or tax attorney to deal with them since it's not worth the headache. This is what I did the last time, when I got a threatening notice which claimed I owed some ungodly amount of money to the IRS. In the end it turned out they owed ME money.

+1, I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owed 4k in back taxes even though I PAID 2498 when I filed my taxes earlier that year. Turns out that the Scottrade transactions I filed were being looked at twice therefore doubling the amount of taxes I was suppose to pay on them. Hire a tax attorney if you can. Its not worth the hassle of playing cat and mouse with the gov.

40ROLL?

Established Member
You arent in any trouble. There has been a TON of fraud with the first time homebuyers credit....I mean a TON. So there are LOTS and LOTS of red flags that can get your amended return sent to investigations. Its not a big deal. It will just take longer to get your money back. The IRS is in NO hurry to get your refund or money back to you at all...as long as they arent having to pay interest your return is as unimportant as your neighbors....

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Your County tax office will NOT send you forms as part of an IRS audit or an
investigation

so last sept my wife and I purchased our first home and of course we filled an amendment to get the 8k tax thingy. well we sent it off a week after our neighbors did and they got theirs back about a month ago. so I decided to call last month. Lets just say thats a mess all by itself.

they have an 800 number but its all automated and you cant get a real person on the line. I finally find a different number but you have to figure out the right combination of prompts to do to get a person. dont even push the number to check the "status" of your return or it fowards you back to the origional number which is only good for your origional tax return not the amendment.:bash:

so anyways I get a lady on the line and she says they received my paperwork oct 6th and it was being reviewed and I should see it no later then jan 6th. well I decided to call yesterday and of course have to figure out the right combination again. I get a guy real fast this time and I say I need to check the status of my amendment so he fowards me. another guy answers and he said "why did they foward you to me, I just do forms, not check status" so I get forwarded again. I get the recording, "your wait time is expected to be over 15 minutes" 36 minutes later I finally get a person for him to only say my claim is at investigations. Huh? :eek: seems there has been a ton of fraud so they are sending more people to investigation. so add another 2-4 weeks on.

he asked if I had received any paperwork from the irs, I said no. he said well there shouldnt be any issue then and you should see it in 2-4 weeks. but last nite I was thinking that my county tax office sent me a letter with all kinds of questions in it that I felt looked shady since they should know all those answers already, so I shredded it. so how bad did I "F" up? will they just set there and wait for that letter to come back to them or send another one? just getting sick of waiting on this money to come in.:fm:

ctubbs

Established Member
My best friend just went through hell trying to get his, He filed for it in March and just got it last week. He called every 4-6 weeks, they just kept telling him if you dont recieve a check in the next few weeks just call back. They sent him the exact same papers to fill out 5 times. Each time he would overnight them back to them and 6 weeks later he would get the same papers back to fill back out and send in. It was pretty ridiculous! Good luck OP!

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
so here is my question. with tax season quickly approaching what if there is a wuestion on there if I received 8k or not? do I say yes even though I may not have received it at that time or say no? if I say no and they see that I just purchased a house then they would try to give it to me again? I just dont want to screw up my return because they are dragging their feet.

Users who are viewing this thread