IRS Diff Cover Reseal

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I saw a youtube video showing a reseal of the IRS diff cover while the pumpkin was still in the car. However, it looked like a real pain in the ass to get the cover off and especially get the cover back on with the wet permatex on there. Is it worth the hassle to try that method and risk a bad seal? Just seems like a couple more hours worth of work pulling the axles you could just drop the pumpkin and get a nice clean reseal of the diff cover.

Thoughts?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i wouldnt attempt it - a real pia is right - i agree with you in that i would want to just drop the pumpkin and seal it off of the car

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Just pull the center section out. It's not bad, I did mine first time on jack stands last summer

hotcobra03

Established Member
it can be done in car..

I need to reseal mine..and I'm doing it on car..

but when I pull center.I only breakdown 1 side.and slide out off other axle.

it doesn't take long to do..worst part is parking brake cable

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Just pull on the end of that cable with a pair of vice grips. It's one of the easier parts of that job.

That is actually how I do it but I still find it to be about the most difficult part of dropping the pumpkin. In other words I find this to be a pretty easy job other than a little time consuming.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Looking at it, if you remove the caliper from the rotor, doesn't that put slack on the cable and just allow you to disconnect it without fighting the spring?

Don't mean to argue at all... just seems like it should be a simple disconnect.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Looking at it, if you remove the caliper from the rotor, doesn't that put slack on the cable and just allow you to disconnect it without fighting the spring?

Don't mean to argue at all... just seems like it should be a simple disconnect.

no
it doesn't loosen slack

and is easy..it's all that spring..if it comes off..

watch some videos..funny..

I use channel locks to put back spring.
it goes on in a second once you get the idea..

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I just about have my pumpkin removed, and I just realized I didn't mark the position of my half shafts, I marked my driveshaft yoke. I think I remember the half shafts were offset from each other by 90 degrees... But who knows what position they were in relative to the driveshaft at this point.... Does this really matter?

If new axles were being installed that were not marked to begin with... what position would you put them in?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I just about have my pumpkin removed, and I just realized I didn't mark the position of my half shafts, I marked my driveshaft yoke. I think I remember the half shafts were offset from each other by 90 degrees... But who knows what position they were in relative to the driveshaft at this point.... Does this really matter?

If new axles were being installed that were not marked to begin with... what position would you put them in?

if i understand you correctly, i am pretty sure that it is not necessary to mark the halfshafts as to the way they went into the differential.

but if you are taking out the knuckles attached to the halfshafts, it is necessary to mark the eccentric on the camber bolt (if you want to retain your wheel alignment).

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
if i understand you correctly, i am pretty sure that it is not necessary to mark the halfshafts as to the way they went into the differential.

but if you are taking out the knuckles attached to the halfshafts, it is necessary to mark the eccentric on the camber bolt (if you want to retain your wheel alignment).

That would be correct about the halfshafts. I've never marked mine when removing them.

As for the e-brake cable I use a dull pair of side cutters to slide the cable off and on. I've never messed with the spring. Takes me about 10 seconds to pop the cable off. Probably 15 to put it back because I'm usually tired by then.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
thanks for the reply on marking the half shafts.
...yeah the e-brake was probably the easiest part of the whole job, I just unbolted the caliper and it put a little bit of slack on the cable, and then just tugged it off the clip for the spring with a pair of vice grips... definitely no reason to mess with the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread