IRS Bolts

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Tighten the original and grind down the bolt head juat enough and at the proper angle to clear the tire. You will have more than enough bolt head left, to get a socket on.
Wrong. Replace them with a 9/16 hardened bolt, then grind it down. The stock bolts were to loose, trust me. I think it was Godstang who did a big write up on this years ago.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Wrong. Replace them with a 9/16 hardened bolt, then grind it down. The stock bolts were to loose, trust me. I think it was Godstang who did a big write up on this years ago.

Wrong bolt. You’re talking about the front IRS bolt, we’re talking about the rear upper bolt that may come in contact with the tire on lowered cars or cars with wider tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
^^^^^Wrong, that poat is talking about the front IRS mounting bolt. The OP is talking about the rear IRS bolt.

Wrong bolt. You’re talking about the front IRS bolt, we’re talking about the rear upper bolt that may come in contact with the tire on lowered cars or cars with wider tires.

I miss read the thread, stupid beer. I stand corrected and will eat cow. lol

GodStang

Established Member
Actually all you guys are correct. I talked with GodStang about this and that thread is mainly about swapping to a better fitting/stronger 9/16" bolt up front but he also installed a grade 8 bolt for the rear. Which he installed and grinded the head down to 1/4". He has been running it that way for many a years and has done it on other Cobras.

^^^^^Wrong, that poat is talking about the front IRS mounting bolt. The OP is talking about the rear IRS bolt.

I miss read the thread, stupid beer. I stand corrected and will eat cow. lol

Last edited:

TimKonaGT500

Established Member
I used a new front bolt when I did my FTBR bushings, and I used the Maximum Motorsports Allen head in the rear.

When I first put on my 10.5" wheels with the 295/45/18s on them... It sure looked close even with that bolt at full droop.

Users who are viewing this thread