Iridium gapping tool, which one???

CobraBob said:

CobraBob, thanks for digging. I'm so stupid. I didn't even think to consider SummitRacing. But looking at the Jegs one I think thats going to be the one to go with. All let you guys know how that tool works.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
WDW MKR said:
The gap measuring tool is not made to physically adjust the gap. You measure, adjust as needed with pliers, measure again, repeat as necessary. The blade-style gap measuring tool is more consistent and easier to use.
Interesting posts Ike. I talked to Denso support yesterday and they said the gapping pliers were good. But.....it seems that the most used and most recommended procedure for the iridiums (especially the Denso which have a thinner center electrode) is to shorten the gap by tapping on a hard surface, and widen the gap using a pair of needle nose pliers. And use a blade-style measuring tool.

Just a note. When you adjust the ground electrode by careful not to adjust it so that it is off-center to the center electrode.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
97topless snake said:
That second link is good info.

And don't assume that the factory gap is correct, which is kind of implied when it is stated that re-gapping isn't recommended. I remember once I got a set of 8 Denso plugs. 6 of the 8 had to be re-gapped. They weren't even close to each other. So it is always good to check the gaps before installing. Never assume anything.

silvercoffin

Established Member
?

HOW CAN YOU TELL IF YOU have blow out? I have my TR6 plugs gapped at 35 and they seem fine.

What are you running that you would have plug blow out gapped at 35 and I am ok? I havent tested these tr6 plugs at the trck yet, but i had tr6 same gap for years in the car.

I just started to notice a funny idle...rpms seemd steady but there was a weird vibration at idle when hot that went away with new plugs

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Hey,

I'm wanting to buy my own gapping tool for both Platinum & Iridium spark plugs...

Obviously after clicking on all the links... zero info now...

Was worth a try on a 12-year old thread.... instead of creating a new one.

How about a quality tool-kit to do my own measuring & gapping properly?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread