Iridium gapping tool, which one???

Can anyone recommend the perfect or next to perfect gapping tool to use for iridium spark plugs? Any links or pics would be greatly appreciated. I seacrhed on here and there was a thread where CobraBob posted up a link of the tool he recommended that was on sale at Amazon.com in '06 but the link is no longer working. The stumble of my TR6 coppers are seriously pissing me off while the car is on cruise control. :mj:

There isn't even a marking for .032? So how am I going to gap to the spec? And what part of that tool would I use to close the gap on the iridium?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here's a link direct from the Denso website as far as how to gap iridium plugs. Same procedure applies to NGK's.

Q. How do I gap Iridium plugs
A. Before attempting to gap any DENSO Iridium Power spark plug, please review the specification chart to see the factory-preset gap. In most cases your Iridium Power plugs do not need to be gapped. Even with small variations in the factory set gap the ultra-efficient firing power design will compensate for those small variations. Should you decide to re-gap your Iridium Power plug, use extreme caution as improper gapping may damage or destroy the Iridium center electrode or porcelain center. To increase the gap size: Step 1 Use needle nose pliers or spark plug gapping tool to bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. To decrease the gap size: Step 1 Use the same method as above, however bend the ground strap down to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. WARNING: Failure to follow these directions may permanently damage the spark plug. Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.

silvercoffin

Established Member

So what do they come gapped at?

Do you need to regap them? or run as is?

Just wondering... I have always just run NGK TR6 plugs which seem to work well.. Regap them the traditional way. I didnt even know that regapping iridiums required a different technique until reading this.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
silvercoffin said:
So what do they come gapped at?

Do you need to regap them? or run as is?

Just wondering... I have always just run NGK TR6 plugs which seem to work well.. Regap them the traditional way. I didnt even know that regapping iridiums required a different technique until reading this.

I took my iridiums out over a week ago after developing what appears to have been a spark blow out issue. They came pregapped .035 - .036 I needed to close the gap down to .032 but not having the proper tool I installed the NGK TR6 coppers at .032 and the spark blow out disappeared.

MVD

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Great info CobraBob, but I'm still struggling to find a proper gapping tool for the iridiums on Google.

http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...EARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=APO&MfrPartNumber=T71460

That link is the correct tool. All you need is a tool that does not touch the electrode.........which it does not. You just bend the ground and use the feelers. You can pick them up at any local parts store like Murray's, Autozone, Pep Boys etc. And yes they do have a 0.032 feeler.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No, it is not the correct tool. Sure you can use it, but it is not the recommended tool. They do a great job with standard plugs. Use it with iridium plugs and you most certainly can damage the electrode. How do I know? Because it happens to me. After breaking one $13. plug I never used my trusty old (cheap) plug gap tool again. So yes, if you are very careful you can get by with this tool. Just want to make it clear that it is not recommended.

MikeW

Established Member
CobraBob said:
A professional gapping tool is recommended. They aren't that expensive.

Where to order it? I use the wire gapper myself on the TR7ix. Will buy the proper gapper before the next set if it does not cost an arm and a leg.

WDW MKR

Established Member
You can get a set of blade-style feeler gauges at any tool store and most automotive parts stores. It's nothing fancy and has been around for years. I'm not necessarily recommending you order online from this place, but here is what they look like. You then adjust the gap as necessary by the method described by Denso in Bob's previous post.

http://www.handsontools.com/store-products-KDT162-KD-Tools-Feeler-Gauge_24186.html

WDW MKR

Established Member
MVD said:
http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...EARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=APO&MfrPartNumber=T71460

That link is the correct tool. All you need is a tool that does not touch the electrode.........which it does not. You just bend the ground and use the feelers. You can pick them up at any local parts store like Murray's, Autozone, Pep Boys etc. And yes they do have a 0.032 feeler.

That is NOT the correct tool. That style is notoriously inaccurate and cumbersome. I don't even recommend it for copper plugs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks Ike. I stated in another post that this tool was not correct. Actually there are plug gapping pliers made that sell in the $40. range typically. Jacobs Electronics sells one. I never used the flat type gauge on my Densos. I didn't have the professional gapping tool so I used Denso's recommended method.
1. To widen the gap, take a pair of needle nose pliers and gently PULL the ground electrode outwards. Just a little bit at a time. Then check the gap being careful to not touch the center electrode. By PULLING on the ground electrode vs. pushing it out, you have no chance to contact the center electrode as you would with the cheap flat tool (that PUSHES the electrode out). You want to PULL the ground electrode outwards, vs. PUSHING it outwards.
2. To lessen the gap gently tap the ground electrode against a hard surface. Then very carefully check the gap. Again, DO NOT touch the center electrode.

Follow the above and you'll be fine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

WDW MKR

Established Member
I don't know that I'd recommend the gapping pliers for iridiums. They are a little too robust and have broken the electrodes, as reported by various users. I'd gladly buy a set if proven to work with iridiums.

MikeW

Established Member
Seems like there is not a right way to gap these things. :lol:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...-iridium-spark-plugs-77932.html?highlight=gap

People say dont use this and dont use that but what the hell are people using? RWTD does not like the gapping pliers either and now the wire one is not the right one by reding post here.

I used the wire gapper last time and made sure I took great care to avoid hard contact with the fine tip.

WDW MKR

Established Member
The gap measuring tool is not made to physically adjust the gap. You measure, adjust as needed with pliers, measure again, repeat as necessary. The blade-style gap measuring tool is more consistent and easier to use.

Users who are viewing this thread