Ipad mini installed... Now, is there a way to implement charging?!

RusWolf

Established Member
Hello all..

I recently installed Ipad Mini 3 in my car and now this week will change the holder for Ipad Mini 4.

Now, i would really love to somehow have the ability for Ipad to charge while in use and in place.

Has anyone done this or any ideas?

thanks.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Osmosis? ....lol there are adapters that plug into the cig lighter that will charge the ipad, google it!

RusWolf

Established Member
I was talking about implementing hidden charging.
This weekend i can take pics of the mount.
I was just wondering how to connect and run wires the way that its not visible.
But i guess that will make the install more permanent as i would probably have to drill the stock radio faceplate.

Mark Rondeau

Established Member
Instead of drilling the faceplate, you could run the charging cable from behind the radio (with the faceplate removed) and keep it hanging out along the side padding while snapping the faceplate back on. The padding will give allowing room for the cable to pass without drilling.

RusWolf

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting just the metra dash with digital AC controls on top, installing kenwood with maestro on the bottom and since ipad is help by magnets just having the ipad on top. I also just found out that you can actually control climate in the car via voice through SYNC.
I think this will be the simplest set up and high tech. Will just get a simple kenwood dvd receiver with apple car play. Don't care if it has nav or not since i won't be using it due to it's low location. Ipad mini will be used for nav and kenwood maestro for gauges, tire pressure sensors etc etc.. i think it will come out nice with 7 screens and ability to display multiple data.

slick3

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting just the metra dash with digital AC controls on top, installing kenwood with maestro on the bottom and since ipad is help by magnets just having the ipad on top. I also just found out that you can actually control climate in the car via voice through SYNC.
I think this will be the simplest set up and high tech. Will just get a simple kenwood dvd receiver with apple car play. Don't care if it has nav or not since i won't be using it due to it's low location. Ipad mini will be used for nav and kenwood maestro for gauges, tire pressure sensors etc etc.. i think it will come out nice with 7 screens and ability to display multiple data.

Please post some follow up when you get around to it. I like the idea and have considered this myself. The high initial cost has me second guessing myself but carplay would be neat. I wish there was a more OEM looking double din as I am not personally a fan of the aftermarket look. You might even look to hold off as its my understanding that the car play feature requires the phone to be plugged into the unit. Bluetooth carplay support is rumored for earlier this year and I am assuming compatibility might be an issue with a Non-Bluetooth carplay head unit.

Gary101386

Established Member
Just get a separate AC Inverter and wire it to a switched source. Then you can use the wall cube and lightning cord that that apple provided with the ipad. This way when key is on or car is running you're charging the ipad.

Users who are viewing this thread