Investment Strategies?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You are correct I am an investment advisor. I guess my questions gave me away

You being retired throws a twist and reduces flexibility to reduce your MAGI.

Im guessing you have a substantial Non Qualified portfolio taxed as 1099 Inc for dividends and capital gains.......especially dividend producing stocks.

What is your yearly growth expectation (reward) AND market loss comfort (risk)? Your investment holdings seem to be at least Moderate Aggressive ( Growth) or Aggressive ( Capital Appreciation).

A diversified portfolio matched to your Risk/Reward is good thinking.

I don’t think munis are a fit for your growth expectation, so that should be eliminated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dividends versus limited or no dividend growth stocks. The kicker being that the growth stocks you pick must grow and you must harvest the gains at the right time. I managed my kids college funds and between the late 90's until they were going to college those funds saw 3 huge stock declines. Luckily, the kids were always able to wait until they recovered to pull funds out. I about crapped my pants during the great recession, that was just absolutely brutal.

So, a dividend fund that just pays out and gets partially reinvested appeals strongly to me.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I also like that during a economic down turn, firms are slow (usually) to reduce dividends, as that is a market signal firms do not like to send.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Dividends versus limited or no dividend growth stocks. The kicker being that the growth stocks you pick must grow and you must harvest the gains at the right time. I managed my kids college funds and between the late 90's until they were going to college those funds saw 3 huge stock declines. Luckily, the kids were always able to wait until they recovered to pull funds out. I about crapped my pants during the great recession, that was just absolutely brutal.

So, a dividend fund that just pays out and gets partially reinvested appeals strongly to me.

The kicker you nailed, but you get into trying to time the market. Currently growth oriented stocks are slightly more favorable than value. Using a blend technique is a good way to balance dividend producing stocks and growth.

Buffered and defined outcome equities for growth allows you to “play” in the markets AND protect from large market contractions. These are becoming very popular as volatility picks up.

Adower

Established Member
Open a vanguard fund and invest it VTSAX. Don't touch it for a long time!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The kicker you nailed, but you get into trying to time the market. Currently growth oriented stocks are slightly more favorable than value. Using a blend technique is a good way to balance dividend producing stocks and growth.

Buffered and defined outcome equities for growth allows you to “play” in the markets AND protect from large market contractions. These are becoming very popular as volatility picks up.

I hear you. I sent you my list, I feel "exposed" LOL.

When you look at some of these products, you get into needing a financial advisor, not necessarily a bad thing. But, I look at what that potentially would cost and then you weigh what i might potentially leave on the table and can I cover the spread, so to speak.

upload_2019-8-14_18-43-37.png

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

I will say that when my Dad was investing, he knew from the day he bought when he would sell. He didn't care how much momentum a stock had, when he hit, he sold. That was before computers, with the lightning speed computers monitor and execute trades today, individual stocks are just tough in my mind.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I hear you. I sent you my list, I feel "exposed" LOL.

When you look at some of these products, you get into needing a financial advisor, not necessarily a bad thing. But, I look at what that potentially would cost and then you weigh what i might potentially leave on the table and can I cover the spread, so to speak.

View attachment 1593008

The industry has been going through a cycle of fee compression brought on by competition, BIC and DOL potential rule changes for Advisors. The averages chart seems to be within range of what I see. However, I see Advisors double dip on commission AND fee based, charged the same fee for income portfolios and growth portfolios or use funds with 12b-1 fees in wrap accounts....the later is now a violation of rules.

An advisor can be very helpful with strategies, obtaining institutional funds with waived minimum investments, tax managed investing and tax deferred/ free investing. An Advisor working with your tax account can help with tax efficient growth or tax efficient retirement income planning.

Interestingly, an investment firm (John Hancock Retirement ) did a survey and found the average person with retirement savings under age 65 had 3.5 advisors across all accounts. At retirement, these same people reduced the number of Advisors to 1 because they needed help with retirement income planning. No wonder people can be nomads in in the investment world.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The industry has been going through a cycle of fee compression brought on by competition, BIC and DOL potential rule changes for Advisors. The averages chart seems to be within range of what I see. However, I see Advisors double dip on commission AND fee based, charged the same fee for income portfolios and growth portfolios or use funds with 12b-1 fees in wrap accounts....the later is now a violation of rules.

An advisor can be very helpful with strategies, obtaining institutional funds with waived minimum investments, tax managed investing and tax deferred/ free investing. An Advisor working with your tax account can help with tax efficient growth or tax efficient retirement income planning.

Interestingly, an investment firm (John Hancock Retirement ) did a survey and found the average person with retirement savings under age 65 had 3.5 advisors across all accounts. At retirement, these same people reduced the number of Advisors to 1 because they needed help with retirement income planning. No wonder people can be nomads in in the investment world.

The fact that I don't know what I don't know and it could be impactful is why I am asking some questions. Greatly appreciate you sharing on here for forum members, and myself, to learn.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I will say that when my Dad was investing, he knew from the day he bought when he would sell. He didn't care how much momentum a stock had, when he hit, he sold. That was before computers, with the lightning speed computers monitor and execute trades today, individual stocks are just tough in my mind.

Sounds like dad chose a strict method of establishing a target price and sold when he was in the money. Some do it that way. Some just utilize indexes (passive investing). Today, robots can create allocations (cold hand investing).

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Sounds like dad chose a strict method of establishing a target price and sold when he was in the money. Some do it that way. Some just utilize indexes (passive investing). Today, robots can create allocations (cold hand investing).

The portfolio my wife I built when we got married we liquefied (just beat the 2000 downturn) to buy 40 acres and put the down payment on our house. Used incoming funds to finish the basement and payoff the house early. Really just started getting serious about building the brokerage account up in the past few years.

I did manage the kids college funds and watched the power of holding a good stock, mainly XLU, and reinvesting the dividends. I think I am a buy and hold good investment kind of guy with careful over-watching.

It was funny explaining to my daughter when she started college that the money in the fund was hers. She worked her ass off and she practically cried when she had to pull money from the fund for school. She wanted that money for when she got married and wanted a house!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread