***Intimidators Mecca Tune HID Group Purchase***

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Intimidator
They are Hella OEM. I am unsure as to where the markings would be since I didn't remove the Mecca Tune sticker. What did your kit look like? The originals I posted where apparently his old design (which he hasn't updated on his site). Your kit should look like the one that is posted on my site. www.intimidator.netfirms.com.
Your link didn't work for me, You say they are hella, TargeT says they are not, I am skeptical, Intimidator, you have been good with getting us specific details, aparently you are the only one Henry communicates with, read THIS THREAD and tell me what you think.

Originally posted by TargeT
I've spoken with the vender also, these aren't hella or philips, they are jap stuff,
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Intimidator? WTF ? I am getting more confused. maybe TOO much info on the internet .

EDIT: Ok Intimidator, I found your website, was just a bad link, but I didn't find pictures of your HID kit, just a mention of it.

Last edited:

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
Originally posted by TargeT
didn't mean to sound like i was bashin on you,,

I picked up the same kit for 600 bucks (ouch, i was new.. :p) and i retro'd an HID projector setup on my Eagle Talon

turned out great, except one of the balasts failed on me after about 100 hours of use, (I'm sure thats an isolated case) and dont trust the sticky pad + plate instalation, both my sticky pad things fell off and my balasts were siting loose till i used some tiewraps to secure them

these lights are very bright, and do glare compared to a (much more expensive) HID bulb + projector setup or your stock lights

they are also becoming illegal in many states

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, just things to keep in mind, I'd still buy them, better lighting is always a plus.

I've spoken with the vender also, these aren't hella or philips, they are jap stuff, but Lexus uses them for some of their modles, seemed good enough to me

I'm sure you'll all enjoy them, just make sure you secure those ballasts!

You paid 600 dollars for the same kit, yet state that the price for these is "okay." It's a 315 dollar difference!

Not trying to dissuade? You're right, how could I ever not see that.

And by the way, the only part of the kit that is "Jap" is the bulb. Which, coincidentally, is made by the same company that makes HID bulbs for Acura and Lexus. The ballast/igniter is made in Germany.

Also, if you read this whole entire thread you would have seen that this kit is illegal in every state since they all require a Hi/Lo beam. If the most illegal thing you have on your car are your headlights, you are in big trouble.

All these points have already been covered at one point or another along the course of this thread.

TargeT

Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro

EDIT: Ok Intimidator, I found your website, was just a bad link, but I didn't find pictures of your HID kit, just a mention of it. [/B]

his site is a bit slow, but the pix of his HID kit are on the main page just scroll down a bit

these work good, not sure about longevity wise. but other than some minor false advertising/misscommunication its a prettygood deal

Weasel

Established Member
BBriBro,

Just go to the site and scroll down.
Mine have the same logo sticker on the ballasts as you have.
I am also curious to know the origin of the ballasts. If they're made in Japan that's not a bad thing. Since when are they bad at making electronic devices ?

Mike

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
Originally posted by BBriBro
Your link didn't work for me, You say they are hella, TargeT says they are not, I am skeptical, Intimidator, you have been good with getting us specific details, aparently you are the only one Henry communicates with, read THIS THREAD and tell me what you think.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Intimidator? WTF ? I am getting more confused. maybe TOO much info on the internet .

EDIT: Ok Intimidator, I found your website, was just a bad link, but I didn't find pictures of your HID kit, just a mention of it.

Stop being so paranoid. Scroll down on my home page, you'll see the pictures there.

Bulb is Japanse, made by the bulb manufacturer for Acura.
Ballast/Igniter is German, Hella OEM.

I replied in your thread by the way.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Weasel
I am also curious to know the origin of the ballasts. If they're made in Japan that's not a bad thing. Since when are they bad at making electronic devices ?

Mike
Good point, It's just that I feel I didn't get what I ordered, and was misled (whether it be on purpose or not) Most of us are anal about our cars, we do research on these forums, we have specific "needs" or desires, and we order the parts accordingly. Will a Goodyear belt spin my blower just like a Gates belt ?..........Sure, but people are entitled to a preference, and even if there is another product that essentially does the same thing, that doesn't mean it IS the same thing. Will a xxx brand 2.8 pulley give me more boost over stock...........sure, but If I ordered a no slip RR pulley, thats what I should have, even if someone else thinks the xxx brand is an equivalent replacement, being the same size and all.

A friend of mine came over yesterday, He was surprised to see my bumper cover off, and parts strewn out all over the garage. He wondered why it was so much work just to change the headlights, I explained that I had some wiring to run, and ballasts to mount (hidden out of sight), He said "why don't you just get the blue bulbs from AutoZone" well that pretty much sums it up, He wouldn't care one way or the other. But I am not just after "blue lights" I will be happy knowing they truly are xenons.

Weasel

Established Member
I understand your point. It was stated that these were Hella ballasts and it's not necessarily the case that these are not Hella ballasts. Intimidator says that they are Hella OEM ballasts. I guess for me the bottom line is do they work, are they guaranteed, and are they reliable. I don't feel like paying the premium for a brand name if these work fine. I have no doubt that these are Xenon. BBriBro, please post your impressions of performance, etc. when you get them hooked up.

Thanks and regards,
Mike

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
So, al the shipping BS aside, what are everyone's feelings on the upgrade after you installed them? Is it a worthwile upgrade?

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Weasel
BBriBro, please post your impressions of performance, etc. when you get them hooked up.

Thanks and regards,
Mike

Originally posted by Viper_ed
So, al the shipping BS aside, what are everyone's feelings on the upgrade after you installed them? Is it a worthwile upgrade?

I took the front bumper cover off, and mounted the ballasts on a little "shelf " under the parking lights. I used their sticky tape and some larger tie wraps, since gravity would be pulling them off their mounting. They do look fantastic, But I've never had HIDs before, so I'm pretty excited. I got the 6500k and the fog lights do look just plain yellow. Like the headlights on my dad's '77 chrysler station wagon with a weak alternator, a dead cell in the battery and idling too slow :) Not sure if I should get some silverstars for the fogs, some amber bulbs, or another Xenon kit ! One other thing, as most of you know, there is no hi-beam, however when you use the hi beam switch, it still turns the fogs off, so still can be used as a "flash to pass" and might get someone's attention.

Weasel

Established Member
BBriBro,
Thanks !
Sounds good. Next group purchase I'm getting a set for the fog lamps.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread