Internet speeds(Google Fiber, Cable increases, etc.)

Vigilante

Established Member
Tried a search, but couldn't find anything.

First, what is everyone's opinion on Google Fiber: https://fiber.google.com/about/

Sucks its only in "Silicon Prairie," but there is nothing we can do when the Cable companies have a monopoly. But at least its a step in the right direction, like the rest of Europe. Video kinda related: Why is European broadband faster and cheaper? Blame the government

Second, Cox has increased speeds. Anyone with Cox in AZ that can verify? I checked my mail and the bill came in... Well the price increase is there but when I went to speedtest.net Surprise! the speed was not there... So I want to know if it was a hardware issue(like I need a new router or something) or if I need to call a tech.

Info on Cox Prices/Speed in AZ: Ultimate Internet Overview, High Speed Wideband Internet serving Arizona | Cox Communications

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
More than likely you need to have your modem upgraded. This happened to me with Comcast after upgrading to their blast Internet.

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
Google Fiber had a place you could go to locally and test out the speed and it was getting over 950MB/s up and down. The tech said it was running a little slow...not like you would really notice the missing 50 megs though. For the price and all of the add-ins they are tossing in its a fantastic deal.

Planter

Banned
i tether off my Verizon 4G droid razr. so far it blows my former comcast home internet service out of the water by 12mbps. I'm getting 29.99 mbps. with comcast I was only hitting 17mbps if I was lucky.

unlimited data+unlimited text+unlimited phone = FTW! :rockon:

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
Google Fiber had a place you could go to locally and test out the speed and it was getting over 950MB/s up and down. The tech said it was running a little slow...not like you would really notice the missing 50 megs though. For the price and all of the add-ins they are tossing in its a fantastic deal.

Oh DO WANT.

I'm stuck with 6/3

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
More than likely you need to have your modem upgraded. This happened to me with Comcast after upgrading to their blast Internet.

Yes, that is true. I just updated my modem to the latest Motorola SURFboard SB6141 for my Cox Internet. My old modem was 5 years old. Didn't remember I had it that long.

Vigilante

Established Member
I'm already using a DOCSIS 3.0 didn't really think a newer would do anything hmm... I will have to look into the hardware then.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
i tether off my Verizon 4G droid razr. so far it blows my former comcast home internet service out of the water by 12mbps. I'm getting 29.99 mbps. with comcast I was only hitting 17mbps if I was lucky.

Possibly the only thing me and Planter have in common :lol1:
This is exactly what I do. Identical speeds as well, the upload simply blows all the internet providers ive seen around my area.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

What sort of latency?

Last time I checked my 4g lte was 35ish maps down but 200ms latency. Might be fine for downloading stuff or viewing pages but even 60ms is pushing it for gaming.

Black0ut

Established Member
Possibly the only thing me and Planter have in common :lol1:
This is exactly what I do. Identical speeds as well, the upload simply blows all the internet providers ive seen around my area.

Do they buy it dinner first?

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
What sort of latency?

Last time I checked my 4g lte was 35ish maps down but 200ms latency. Might be fine for downloading stuff or viewing pages but even 60ms is pushing it for gaming.
I avg in the 60's but I dont see any lag or things like that. I play games from time to time online on my PS3 and never noticed any stutters.

Does they buy it dinner first?
:lol1::lol1:
Just gets straight to business

Last edited:

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
I have comcast right now,(55up/15down/10ms ping) I have had hit or miss problems with them over the years but here at the fort it isnt bad

Planter

Banned
What sort of latency?

doesnt say what latency. :shrug:

377765_156822677804424_1458992023_n.jpg

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I've got Cox here in OKC and this is what I get:

This is pretty typical for their ultimate package since my friends have it too.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm anxious to get google fiber if I stay in my current place.

Here my time warner sucks, in virginia my comcast sucked, in japan my cable sucked.

Never really been that happy with an ISP. My Verizon droid 4 tether is better in most cases for downloading.

Users who are viewing this thread