Intermittent chirp sound when releasing clutch .

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So it appears I have a intermittent chirp sound when releasing the clutch pedal in 1st gear.

I installed a centerforce twin disc dyad clutch a couple years ago. But it probably only has 1'000-1,300 miles on it. I replaced the tob and pilot bearing with Ford parts. Also replaced the clutch fork and cable with Ford parts.

I've played with the firewall adjuster both ways. Soon as I think it's gone, the next time I drive it I hear it again. It doesn't do it all the time, and when it does I can hear it with the windows down and stereo off.

Just looking for ideas. I may try keep trying to adjust the firewall adjuster. My old setup the tob would chirp while idling, I had to tinker with that setup quite a bit.

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you ever lube your clutch cable,,
No, but I don't know why that would create the noise only in 1st gear. Clutch pedal is smooth and light.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Because the cable doesn't fully release,

The intermittenting nosie. Pressure on tob/than no pressure after cable moves

Just a guess since you have been in trying other stuff

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Because the cable doesn't fully release,

The intermittenting nosie. Pressure on tob/than no pressure after cable moves

Just a guess since you have been in trying other stuff
Interesting. I could give it a try. I also have the freeplay spring. I'm pretty sure the tob is releasing.

I've been able to adjust the cable and make the tob stop spinning.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
My '01 Bullitt (<30k mi.) chirped during idle too. From the research I did, they were notorious for it. The chirp subsided the more I drove it. My '01 Cobra (<20k mi.) was always quiet.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My '01 Bullitt (<30k mi.) chirped during idle too. From the research I did, they were notorious for it. The chirp subsided the more I drove it. My '01 Cobra (<20k mi.) was always quiet.
Yeah mine is dead silent at idle. I think mine subsides the more I drive it as well.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Now I remember that I installed a '96-'04 clutch freeplay correction kit made by a defunct supplier that was supposed to help. Nope didn't work.

Here's a couple old links. I don't see anything about the chirp:
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/ford-96-04-mustang-clutch-freeplay-correction-kit.586762/
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/what-is-an-ldc-freeplay-mod-clutch.578512/
Yup I have that on my car. I should really try to run it without the freeplay mod and see how it goes.

MG0h3

Established Member
The TOB should never stop spinning.

You want light pressure so it’s spinning with zero pedal pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The TOB should never stop spinning.

You want light pressure so it’s spinning with zero pedal pressure.

That's the way I have it set up.

s351

Established Member
Hey Bdubbs, my dyad is the exact same way it chirps when releasing the clutch in first gear. I've had the tranny out twice, switched the pilot bearing and tob, and clutch fork and it still does the exact same thing. I have a lot a miles on the clutch, last time I had it apart I had about 50% clutch life left.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey Bdubbs, my dyad is the exact same way it chirps when releasing the clutch in first gear. I've had the tranny out twice, switched the pilot bearing and tob, and clutch fork and it still does the exact same thing. I have a lot a miles on the clutch, last time I had it apart I had about 50% clutch life left.
Hmm that's good to hear. How many miles are on your clutch?

s351

Established Member
Hmm that's good to hear. How many miles are on your clutch?

I'm not 100% on the mileage, but its over 10k miles. I bet if you listen really closely you can here it more often than you think. Even on downshifts slowing down coming to a stop.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not 100% on the mileage, but its over 10k miles. I bet if you listen really closely you can here it more often than you think. Even on downshifts slowing down coming to a stop.
Thanks. It's quite possible. The sound is quite annoying. I've been trying to drive around it, seeing if different rpms when taking off makes it less noticeable.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Unexplained noises can be a royal PITA. I've had a subtle rattle in the headliner/sunroof area of my G-70 since day 1. Not loud, but just loud enough to where I hear it. I found it's fairly common in that model (and the Stinger) and the only fix is to completely remove the headliner, make a necessary padding fix, and re-install the headliner. No way am I going to have the dealer rip it apart for a minor noise issue. I just keep the radio on to "get rid of it". LOL. Still, it bugs me!

MG0h3

Established Member
Have you tried operating the clutch with the engine off?

I also agree that it’s likely not isolated to first gear, rather that the speed at which you release makes it louder.

I’m thinking either the pivot ball or just the diaphragm/pp.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you tried operating the clutch with the engine off?

I also agree that it’s likely not isolated to first gear, rather that the speed at which you release makes it louder.

I’m thinking either the pivot ball or just the diaphragm/pp.

Yes. I've found out it only happens when the car is running and once the car starts moving.

I'll do a little more investigating. But I recall it's silent if I row the gears when the car is off.

MG0h3

Established Member
That’s strange.

Would seem to rule out a PP noise.

Increases odds of TOB but why only in first and even more important, why when the car moves.

Perfect chance to get the rear tires off the ground on your lift and try to recreate it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That’s strange.

Would seem to rule out a PP noise.

Increases odds of TOB but why only in first and even more important, why when the car moves.

Perfect chance to get the rear tires off the ground on your lift and try to recreate it.

Yeah it's weird. And it didn't start doing it right away. During the 500 mile break in it never made that sound.

Might have to put it on the lift. Or just drive it on the highway, instead of stop and go lol.

Users who are viewing this thread