Interior looseness!

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
I just had my '97 Cobra re-painted and they did an unbelievable job but I noticed my right mirror speaker and some of the window/lock control panel is loose. When I use a lot of bass or play my music loud it's annoying to hear that stuff vibrating. I was wondering what would be the best sealant for the control panel to keep it nice and together. As for the speaker, I think it just needs a little tightening on the bolts. Maybe it's time to just replace the whole door cover? If so, anyone know a good Mustang restoration site?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
i dont think replacing it is gonna help unless you replace the whole thing, once you remove a panel or something that is held on by plastic tabs its hard to get it to go back on like it was new, go to home deopt and look for some kind of sealn't or foam or something to help put pressure where it is rattling or absorb the sound. My center console has been rattling since it was taken off two years ago, its driving me crazy, im gonna fix it this summer or replace it, but im going to try to fix it first as replacing stuff has gotta be expensive

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
The clips may be broken or not lined up properly. Take it back to the shop and get them to check that first.

Toasty

Established Member
I havent had the panels off on my car yet, but I am assuming the pins that hold it to teh door are the replaceable plastic ones like all car manufacturers use. The plastic pins are really only good for one use if you want the door to fit nice and tight, and they do get loose and sloppy over time. Most auto body supply shops carry a wide assortment of these pins.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
For the snap-in lock panel, you can add a little foam rubber, or maybe there is something underneath the panel that's rubbing or hitting something. Take it off, and reinstall it - maybe it's just not lined-up right.

The speaker cover may be loose. A little 2-sided tape may help as far as the cover goes.

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
I will take all of this into consideration. When it warms up I'll just take the whole door panel off again and put it back on nice and tight. If that doesn't work I'll look into replacing the pins or using sealant. Thanks :burnout:!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I thought you said the "window lock/control panel," and the speaker cover were loose. If the window lock/control panel is loose, just remove & reinstall it. You should be able to tell if the door panel is loose. JMO:shrug:

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
I thought you said the "window lock/control panel," and the speaker cover were loose. If the window lock/control panel is loose, just remove & reinstall it. You should be able to tell if the door panel is loose. JMO:shrug:

Yeah it's just loose, the door cover isn't loose just the plastic panel which goes over the lock, mirror control and window control. It's like that on both doors, and on the right door the triangular speaker is also loose. The speaker should just be an easy tightening, as for the panel I am not sure how easy that will be.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
That's why I wonder why you want to take the door panel off. Just pop the plastic covers off and snap them back in ... see if that makes any difference, before you pull the door panel off.

Toasty

Established Member
What Dano said. If its just the door inerts then pull those and get them back in right.

Once you pull the door panel off you pretty much need to replace the plastic push pins that hold it on - especially since the car is 10 years old.

Toasty

Established Member
Just saw these on latemodelresto;

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=LRS-14527AHDW 1&comp=LRS

" 94-04 Clip, Door Panel Insert, 2 Pc
Attaches door panel insert to door panel. Comes in a package of two and does both sides."

I think it is saying there is enuf to do your LH and RH door inserts. (?). I would have thought that there would be at least 2 clips per insert based on experience - not with these specific inserts, just other interior parts of that size/nature.

Last edited:

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
Just saw these on latemodelresto;

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=LRS-14527AHDW 1&comp=LRS

" 94-04 Clip, Door Panel Insert, 2 Pc
Attaches door panel insert to door panel. Comes in a package of two and does both sides."

I think it is saying there is enuf to do your LH and RH door inserts. (?). I would have thought that there would be at least 2 clips per insert based on experience - not with these specific inserts, just other interior parts of that size/nature.

Alright, tomorrow I will try to snap them back in. I barely tried today, just by leaning over while at a red light but it wouldn't pop back in. Tomorrow I'll put some elbow grease into it and see if they go in. Otherwise I might need to buy new pins.

Users who are viewing this thread