Interesting Tale Of Another Way For dealers To Overcharge For An Oil Related "Issue"

oldmodman

Established Member
An elderly woman that lives across the street from me has one of the last Oldsmobile's made.

Runs great, but when she took it to the "dealer" for a general service they tried to sell her an engine overhaul due to water in the oil.

She always asks me to look at her car to make sure she isn't being ripped off and naturally, she was getting the dealer heave ho.

The water in the oil was entirely due to condensation since her typical daily drive was only two miles. One mile each way.

The dealer had told her that when they changed the oil that there was water in it. Then they told her there was still water on the dipstick after the oil change
and even showed it to her when she picked the car up. naturally, since the entire inside of the engine was coated with the water/oil goo.

I let her know that the "problem" was short trips, not allowing the engine to get up to a temperature high enough to boil out the water.

I offered to take her for a drive on the freeway to get it up to correct operating temps and after we returned I showed her the dipstick with clean, fresh golden oil. And I used a video probe down the oil fill inlet to look at the inside of the valve cover and it was pretty clean with no corrosion so I don't think she has any engine damage.

She still won't drive on the freeway (chicken). So I will borrow it once a week or so from now on.

By the way. The car is a 97 and has a grand total of 21K on it. Damn thing is always garaged too.

So if you know any really old folks don't let then get ripped off.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Great post sir! Props to taking care of our elders, not allowing inexperienced technicians take advantage of them. You hit the nail on the head. Short trips are hard on engine parts and lubricants.

Users who are viewing this thread